Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by saftbudet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah, mercs, bleh ruin community!
Didnt need mercs to ruin it. If you log on to live now you can bet that 75% of the people you see are being boxed.

E.g. see 20 people? Probably 2/3 actual players rest are boxed by those 2/3
Old 11-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

Mercs didn't just devalue the othrr member's of the community's characters. They devalued your own characters too. From level 1 they just blow players out the water. Your warrior is irrelevant compared to tank merc. May as well let it carry you to level 5 and then just put on kobold healer shroud lol.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Sarnak

I ran a j5 merc farm for guildies and a few select others. It’s crazy what people pay for that on live, just so they can box and not talk to each other.

Like, I was doing the service for them, and they didn’t even talk to me about... anything! The process, the difficulty, etc. Just “show up, turn on, tune out” culture.

[Oracle] [Grave Lord] [Outrider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris View Post
You also don't have to play here if you don't like the rules. It's your choice <3
Old 11-10-2019, 04:49 AM
Sarnak

The real problem with live is all the expansions, and the ever-increasing level-cap that comes with them. Each new expansion renders the previous ones obsolete. It became such that mercs were NECESSARY, because all of the player base would homogenize at the newest expansion or two so quickly that the rest of the ENTIRE, MASSIVE game would become a ghost town.

The reason p99 works is that the game is only so large, and the level range is only so much. Yes, Kaesora and Dalnir will always be empty, but other than select zones like that, the rest of the game will always have players of assorted level ranges in various nooks and crannies of the game. Live EQ is an ever-decreasing population of individual toons (boxing certainly doesn't help) in an ever-increasing gamespace. This is why p99 is perfect as it is IMO.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:50 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The real problem with live is all the expansions, and the ever-increasing level-cap that comes with them. Each new expansion renders the previous ones obsolete. It became such that mercs were NECESSARY, because all of the player base would homogenize at the newest expansion or two so quickly that the rest of the ENTIRE, MASSIVE game would become a ghost town.

The reason p99 works is that the game is only so large, and the level range is only so much. Yes, Kaesora and Dalnir will always be empty, but other than select zones like that, the rest of the game will always have players of assorted level ranges in various nooks and crannies of the game. Live EQ is an ever-decreasing population of individual toons (boxing certainly doesn't help) in an ever-increasing gamespace. p99 is a fixed gamespace and a relatively stable number of players. This is why p99 is perfect as it is IMO.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:53 AM
Sarnak

Sorry about the double post- mistook the "quote" button for the "edit post" button...and apparently i'm not allowed to edit my own posts??
Old 11-10-2019, 04:53 AM
Planar Protector

Ive tested EQlive like 5 years ago.

Ive logged out after 5min or less.

It just didnt felt like EQ for me and there were so many buttons that I didnt knew how to start. Think half of the buttons were for an item shop or something.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Planar Protector

Mercenaries are overpowered for the first 65 levels. But that’s by design because those levels are extremely basic and not much is going on. Auto attack, hit one ability, cast a spell or two and that’s it. So mercenaries allow players to essentially skip these levels with a mercenary tank doing everything for you.

Once you get to 70+, mercenaries are far less powerful but allow you to fill critical slots in groups if you can’t find them. By that time you’re getting your epic 2.0, some more AAs, more discs and the game is becoming more complicated.

By level 110, mercenaries are very trash. A single healer Merc struggles to keep up a normal tank, you generally need 2-3 to keep up a tank.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Sarnak

Both servers are unique in their own way but the live community is more toxic from what I see. The biggest thing not feature wise is that on live macroquest isn't rare and afk botting is a diamond dozen.

There is essentially 0 gm presence on live so toxicity thrives and spreads.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Closed Thread