Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Planar Protector

Eons ago on when ranger was my primary and before luclin and aa’s were a thing I carried 2 bows types. I always carried the best bow ratio I could get my hands on but also kept a high damage bow around regardless of damage/delay ratio to use for soloing. Arrows are, at times, a limited commodity. For solo purposes having a high impact but less than optimal delay was preferable to me when soloing as your per shot (expending an arrow) damage helped conserve your supply. High ratio came out for trueshot runs. Tolans was a heaven-send but I frequently fletched better arrows on the fly.

Velious makes this easier with 30 dmg velium bows but there still needs to be a head nod to underfoot bow from the hole with 33 base damage. Huntsman has a better ratio but the 30 delay can have you going through arrows pretty fast. The proc is always nice but remember it may have you needing to recast root more often.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

So I'm Level 44 now and still having problems soloing in Crystal Caverns. I'm well above the maximum level of Geodes and Stalag Terrors and they still beat my ass pretty convincingly. Is my armor too low at this point (787), or are they just underconned as all hell or something?

It honestly seems like pretty much every mob beyond a certain level is underconned...
Old 06-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

At 40 you will never get a defence skill up again*. In terms of tanking from henceforth you will forever be a 39 warrior in chain. Don't despair! Your worn AC cap will still increase every level, so your mitigation will continue to improve (aided by your various AC buffs).

I try to have 4.8 worn AC per level, simply because on live there was a 289 worn AC cap at level 60 in early velious. P1999 doesn't actually use that system though.

NPCs get a bigger power increase per level, e.g by 59 you might be soloing lvl 45ish mobs for XP. Just keep working on those levels and wearing sufficient AC. I found OT Tigers to be good fear kite XP in the 40s if you continue to struggle with tank and spank.

I agree that mobs above a certain level seem under conned. There seems to be a big power jump about the mid/late 30s. Maybe a greater minimum hit or a larger spread of damage.

*There is a rumoured pre-luclin patch that increases the 60 defence skill cap to 220. Half of that patch is already out so I am suspicious if the remainder will ever be implemented.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

Unless you've got nice gear, fungi, and a Swarmcaller or Earthcaller, I feel like a ranger soloing tank-and-spank post-40 is going to be very challenging in Kunark and Velious, and not as efficient, as just going to find some animal NPCs to fearkite.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unless you've got nice gear, fungi, and a Swarmcaller or Earthcaller, I feel like a ranger soloing tank-and-spank post-40 is going to be very challenging in Kunark and Velious, and not as efficient, as just going to find some animal NPCs to fearkite.
I knew my first toon should've been a Paladin. ;_;

I just don't understand why a Ranger would struggle so hard at these levels with all the tools at their disposal. Damage shield, self healing, dual wield, double attack, reasonable defensive skills and armor, reasonable HP, etc...
Old 06-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

They come back into their own by 55. I soloed a lot of 55-60 in KC, and didn't have an earthcalller till 59 not a fungi at all.

I suspect the AC worn cap doesn't scale linearly from 1-60 as it feels like there is a big mitigation jump from 50-51.

Do you know how to bind wound in combat? If you aren't already doing it then that trick should give you the edge you are looking for.

A paladin has a harder time than a ranger. Stick with it; the late 40s are probably the hardest time as a ranger; at least you get the option of fear kiting sabertooth tigers in OT.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Fear kite to 45, bow rot the rest of the way (or 2h joust while rooted if a low blue). If you have both epics, fungi, and a PoSky cloak stuff is different I hear.

Paladins are WAY underrated for soloing. They aren't SK's or any caster but they aren't shabby...just slow grinding. I got to 45 easily with an iceflame and a reaver Only like 11k these days) made it basically self-PL with the DW helm to mid 50's. A Narandi is only 14k or so too.

I wish there was a near 1/1 ratio 2h weapon with stats and a 700hp dot proc available for rangers for the price of an Ikky regen bp...
Old 06-22-2019, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I knew my first toon should've been a Paladin. ;_;

I just don't understand why a Ranger would struggle so hard at these levels with all the tools at their disposal. Damage shield, self healing, dual wield, double attack, reasonable defensive skills and armor, reasonable HP, etc...
Because shit hits hard, yo.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Sarnak

I really like Rangers, personally. They're decent DPS, can sort of tank and are basically the best class in four specific situations:
1) Pulling outdoors for groups
2) Temporarily tanking something with a discipline
3) Doing DPS from outside dragon fear/AOE slow range or against things with wonky hitboxes
4) Tracking things

They also potentially have specific gear that can just make them best melee DPS period for 2 minute fights, or second best DPS when no caster haste is available due to mass dispel or lack of enchanters/shaman. That's not a bad set of niches where you're the best, given that you can also fill in as generic DPS, and at least one high level ranger is usually desired for buffing.

I remember a parse against queen bee in sky where the ranger outdpsed the top three rogues combined, because we had a bad aggro transition off the first death touch and the queen flipped around and moved enough that the rogues couldn't stay on target and backstab successfully. Her hitbox is stupid as well and she flies, making it hard to visually track her and get in range and stay in range when she's moving to kill new people. The Ranger just sat back with Trueshot, 7 damage arrows and an exquisite velium bow and shot her for the duration of the fight while she buzzed around killing people, and ended up doing 25% of a 40 man raid's damage.

That particular fight was a huge mess, but in my experience it was actually pretty common for rangers to top DPS there if they come with a DPS bow focus and trueshot, because even if everything goes correctly its tough to stay on her 100% of the time in melee.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

My rogue was the best class against Draco.
Closed Thread