Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Aviak

Talking Building Duo's - Need Advice

Hi Everyone! I finally got my wife to play P99. I love this game, but I'm not a pro by any means. I've been here for ages, but my highest toon is a 58 druid (next up is a 30 pally). I'd like to get some fun DUO's going for us. My druid can PL and port, so I figured, her first toon should also be a druid so we can port each other. I have her sitting with a 29 druid ATM. So far my tactics have been to use thorns to PL randoms in LOIO. Should I go somewhere else to keep up the leveling (thinking sarnak fort next, ensuring I only pull the melee types).

Once we clear her druid for circles etc, what's a solid duo? I'm thinking we can PL them past the burdensome newby levels to 30-ish so they can function appropriately. I know the basics, but I was hoping someone may know specifics. For example Monk/Shaman is a well known duo BUT:

Should I pick Troll for root clickie, or do I need Ogre for Stun Immunity? Should Monk be Ikky? Please give some pros/cons and do's/don'ts.

Please feel free to get as detailed as necessary. Also, please note that this is her first MMORPG and I'm still working on "Well if you don't have SoW and you didn't snare the mob...".

Anywho, hoping for a couple options that vary in play style. Thank you for your time.

Marto - 60 Halfling Druid
Fratus - 40 Dwarven Paladin

--Red Server--

Smarrto - 60 Iksar Necro
Mardo - 60 Dwarven Cleric

Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

you can each log off and onto your druid to move them around. I wouldn't level another druid.

Log onto your druid and SLN your toons and let them just play through the noob levels. You don't want to rush into the higher mid levels with your inexperienced wife.

The noob levels 1-20 is where she will learn to play the game. Frankly skin like nature is too much of a buff and won't let her learn how easy it is to die. I would go level 1 to 10 with no assistance just grind together like you are both noobs.

Then to speed it up start the PL action by logging your druid and skinning her then she logs your alt and you skin that person too. Vice versa.

Really there are a ton of duos just try to think of what she will enjoy doing most. Do you think she wants a complex toolset or a simpler one? Do you think she will enjoy being vigilant like running an enchanter with a charm pet?

She might enjoy being a cleric, and you be the enchanter. Thats one of the ultimate duos, it allows her to be a goodie race which lets her enjoy towns better.

You guys can both be high elfs or something.

Iksar monk and ogre shaman can be good and fun and can do lots of content. You could both start as iksars too. Really you should choose a landscape she will enjoy most. She probably won't want to spend all her time stuck in the swamp or jungle...thats just my guess.

So many good combos. Try to get her to choose a class and race and then you pick a complimentary one.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Fire Giant

I definitely wouldn't level a second druid. If you want two porters, go druid/wizard. That would be some efficient quadding!

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Aviak

I think I may have mis-spoke. We have 2 accounts, and therefore need 1 druid on each account. Mine is 58 and can port/buff her toons. Hers is currently level 29. Once she can port toons on my account, we'll be rolling out a duo. I chose druid for her because it's the only class I really know how to play through-and-through and it's easy for her to escape bad pulls, adds, etc as long as we're outdoors.

I like the idea of having one complex class and one simple class. Which is why I was thinking Monk/Shaman.

I've not yet seen a cleric/chanter duo. What races would you suggest for gear/abilities? And what mechanic are they working to exploit? I assume charm on chanter, but then what are you doing with the cleric or is it just for the buffs/heals to the group/pet? I've never really rolled up a chanter and this sounds reasonable for both of us.

Also, I happen to know she's not a huge fan of melee, so something that can cast, but doesn't require crazyness is in line with her tastes. I feel that the game world is small, but she's so new that it appears vast and just about any zone is good for her. If she went evil, I assume she'd enjoy the ikky (The zones are nicer) and Dark Elf (She likes the look). But faction isn't a deal breaker with her good-aligned druid being on the roster.

Again, thank you all for the info! I really appreciate it.

--Red Server--

Smarrto - 60 Iksar Necro

Old 10-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

You should be more specific of your goals for this new duo. what are you hoping to accomplish long term?

And do you plan primarily to only play as a duo?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:46 AM
Fire Giant

Before I write up a longer post talking about a suggestion that comes to mind I'll wait for you to answer those questions and one of my own...how do you feel about playing a bard?
Old 10-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Aviak

DMN - We intend to almost exclusively duo. Raiding may occur, but she's not in a guild and I just port folks in the BG/AG family, I don't even raid much myself. We're probably looking at some kind of end-game camping (Skyshrine, Ice Worms, WW Dragons, Kael, etc). She hates chatting folks, so unless I can get her on Discord, grouping is kind of out.

Tenlaar - I have NEVER played a bard successfully (I give up around level 10-15). I've been in groups with them and they seem like a ton of fun. I am not averse to trying one again, but I doubt she'd be willing to rock the song rotations, so no double-barding. But feel free to toss some smexy bard builds/ideas at me.

--Red Server--

Smarrto - 60 Iksar Necro

Old 10-08-2019, 05:46 PM
Banned

You can just make 1 account for each character you play.

I wouldn't "skip" low levels. That's where you learn how to play the classes as your kit builds out.

Do Iksar Shaman + Monk and go take on the world. Can do some twinking, but don't power level. 1-20 in FoB + Kurn's is great!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Fire Giant

Okay, so if you're up for trying out bard, here is my somewhat unusual suggestion for you - you play bard, she plays shaman. The two classes compliment each other extremely well as a duo. Points of note, in no particular order...

1. The combination of HP and Mana regen that bards bring is a shaman's best friend and makes it a very low downtime duo.

2. You'll have a variety of ways that you can kill as you level depending on your targets and twink level. Tank and spank with shaman slows, pet tank with slows, fear kite, charming (double charming if fighting animals), root rot.

3. Root rot works especially well at higher levels once the bard gets single target DoTs and the shaman gets some higher damage ones. Bard DoTs have no initial DD component so they don't have a chance to break root. Also, as long as you're quick on it you can use the bard mez songs to interrupt most dangerous spells from caster mobs, which is one of the few real things that limits what a shaman can root rot.

4. The shaman is already one of the most capable solo classes but one of the areas that they are lacking is hard CC, which the bard brings. Between lull, mez, charm, root, slows, and a dogdog pet? Dungeon crawling and breaking dungeon camps is more doable with the duo than most.

5. Shaman stat buffs are great and with you duoing most of the time it's not such a chore to keep them up. Being able to load up on like 130 pounds more loot between the two of you before needing to go sell things off is just a nice bonus at times when you're far removed but don't want to start leaving loot laying around.

6. The two classes combined have a ton of utility and quality of life things. Bard speed and SoW, invis, levitate, enduring breath, see invis. You'll have just about everything except invis vs undead and ports covered, and you'll have both song and buff versions of them depending on if you just need them for a moment or longer.

I'm sure I could think of more things, but I need to head out for a while, so that'll do for now.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Aviak

KJS86z - Why Ikky Sham and Monk? Just curious what the benefits are outside of regen. I always thought something like Ogre for stun immunity.

Tenlaar - That sounds like a great duo and less hectic than solo barding. What would you recommend for bard/sham race for that combo? Not knowing the bard, I'm not sure if they have some end-game restrictions based on their race/deity (I know my halfling druid won't ever get the smexy tunare loot).

And thank you all for your prompt replies. I really appreciate it. These are some super fun ideas I can float to the missus so she can "pick" from a list of solid options.

--Red Server--

Smarrto - 60 Iksar Necro

Closed Thread