Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

The problem isn't sports, the problem is the extremity with which sports are obsessed over in American culture. I like baseball a lot, but I know there are many things more important than basebal and I try to educate myself and stay privy to global and US news as well as enjoy watching my team (Yankees). The problem can really be summed up in the following:

Ask most people in Anerica to name the roster of their favorite sports team, most will be able to on the spot or at least the best players.

Ask those same people to discuss fractional reserve banking and how it impacts all of our lives, most won't know what you're talking about. Ask them about what QE is, how many have taken place and why it directly impacts their real wages and purchasing power, again most won't know what you're talking about and yet it directly impacts them more than anything their team's Quarterback does.

It's an unhealthy obsession with professional sports in America, part of the bigger problem of general apathy towards understanding how the US and global Economy works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenjitsuRZ View Post
Multiplication is used at all levels.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Basketball - the only sport with 60 minutes of action where shit is actually happening.
Sorry Hockey/Soccer = Fail.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basketball - the only sport with 60 minutes of action where shit is actually happening.
Pfft.
Hockey is bawse.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hockey is very similar to Basketball action wise.
MassiveMarc: Then we will poopsock in the shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzarr View Post
Vox was tanked by hughman in plain sight, we found out that the bard could attack tru the wall there(more lucky than exploit) and we just pilled everyone there.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxHound [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pfft.
Hockey is bawse.
Hockey DOES get a big nod over soccer for checking action.
I used to play alot of Hockey back in Chicago, not as nearly exciting to watch as play.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Marc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hockey is very similar to Basketball action wise.
I concur... It's one of the few where the action is constant instead of do a small few seconds of play, and break.
Though I like the physical contact in hockey. That, and the fights.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxHound [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I concur... It's one of the few where the action is constant instead of do a small few seconds of play, and break.
Though I like the physical contact in hockey. That, and the fights.
Jim Rome said Americans don't like hockey because they can't keep up with the puck and good play is hard to understand (such as cycling deep and grinding the boards.. etc.. )

My only issue with Basketball, is that the point system seems arbitrary and score baskets feels meaningless.
MassiveMarc: Then we will poopsock in the shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzarr View Post
Vox was tanked by hughman in plain sight, we found out that the bard could attack tru the wall there(more lucky than exploit) and we just pilled everyone there.
Closed Thread