Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the fact that everyone plays multiple characters really, really, really, really, really irritates me. I hate boxing more then anything else in any game meant to be played as a single character. Playing in a team is so worthwhile for so many reasons.
I agree. It bums me out to be playing the game with a bunch of characters only to find that Fiona is just a useless barely responsive heal bot, and Geralttto is switching between Fiona and the rogue so won't really be doing much talking about what we are doing in /g

Definitely destroys the game.

You're a warrior. You need a healer to heal you and a porter to port you.

VS

You're a warrior and you log into random caster to do all the stuff your warrior can't do.

= no community no communication no everquest no fun
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:22 PM
Fire Giant

i remember my father was boxing some times.
he got fun out of it. didn't want to talk to anyone. thought of EQ as a solo game.
finally convinced him to go on a different server where boxing and soloing is the norm and he enjoys it.
he is not a bad person, just a 60+ y.o. french dude who didn't want to interact in english with many people (just found out in this thread today that apparently speaking english is mandatory to be a player on p99, i cried a little inside [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ) and thought boxing was nice cause he could help himself instead of doing all these things that we all love and protect.

all this to say, i am 100% against boxing and i agree that the hard no-boxing rule is the reason why i'm still here after so many years [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but all boxers are not abusing assholes. some of them are just foreign grumpy old men.
banning them is still fine.
but don't hate on them. they just play the wrong game.

but please ban them.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i remember my father was boxing some times.
he got fun out of it. didn't want to talk to anyone. thought of EQ as a solo game.
finally convinced him to go on a different server where boxing and soloing is the norm and he enjoys it.
he is not a bad person, just a 60+ y.o. french dude who didn't want to interact in english with many people (just found out in this thread today that apparently speaking english is mandatory to be a player on p99, i cried a little inside [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ) and thought boxing was nice cause he could help himself instead of doing all these things that we all love and protect.

all this to say, i am 100% against boxing and i agree that the hard no-boxing rule is the reason why i'm still here after so many years [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but all boxers are not abusing assholes. some of them are just foreign grumpy old men.
banning them is still fine.
but don't hate on them. they just play the wrong game.

but please ban them.
That was a really nice post Nagoya!

I wish more people could remember that X might be bad in specific ways for specific reasons, but just because that's true it doesn't mean that anyone who likes X is suffering from a moral failing. People can be different from you, and make different choices, and that's ok (as long as those choices aren't hurting anyone else).

A lot of people could stand to learn that, in a lot of cases besides just 20-year old emulated elf sim boxing.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-16-2019 at 08:15 PM..
Old 10-17-2019, 03:15 AM
Sarnak

I used to box on live... 3 chars + 3 mercs... (unless someone wanted to join my group, then I simply drop mercs/chars)

However, the NoBoxing rule is one of my favorite things about P99.

Keep up the good work!!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-17-2019, 08:54 AM
Aviak

Anyone ever suspect it on P99 but felt couldnt think of how to ask? I swear I was hunting gnomes down in Solsek Eye one night and there was a caster duo who joined the group. Felt like they were only acting in tandem and sometimes one would respond for the other with stuff like , " oh he's going to get a drink" I dunno, it was a weird night maybe they were just inattentive players. Well, they were really inattentive players but maybe not one boxer.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d_glasses [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone ever suspect it on P99 but felt couldnt think of how to ask? I swear I was hunting gnomes down in Solsek Eye one night and there was a caster duo who joined the group. Felt like they were only acting in tandem and sometimes one would respond for the other with stuff like , " oh he's going to get a drink" I dunno, it was a weird night maybe they were just inattentive players. Well, they were really inattentive players but maybe not one boxer.
They could be playing in the same house. My brother and I live together and when we play he sits behind me so I’ve spoken for him when he’s afk etc in that context.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
speaking english is mandatory to be a player on p99
I couldn't let my daughter play on here for effectively the same reason when she wanted to try a couple years ago. She was too young at the time to be able to chat with a GM if she had to for some reason or another. She proceeded to find Minecraft instead, which probably was for the better in the long run.

Danth
Old 10-17-2019, 10:57 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d_glasses [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Often you have people who use voice chat in addition to talk to each other. So they might communicate in voice and not so much in chat.
[60 Troubadour] Lasterbalk <Riot>
[56 Preserver] Aithne Oakforest <Riot>

Solusek Ro / Bristlebane retired:
[80 Vah Shir Rogue] Katran <Magna Charta>
Old 10-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

I got trouble enough trying to play 1 character and /pet_000. Kudos to those that can bot army and whatever but it's not on my list of to do. I think I downloaded Discord and it all default settings but typing help while dying just seems more classic to me. Yea man, what he said up there.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Sarnak

blue server - no real reason to box outside of some nerd dominating a camp that 20 other guys are sitting in line to camp... obviously don't want that going on. Buffs aren't a big deal on a blue server unless you are downing some raid encounter with minimum amount of players.

red server - A different issue, there are a lot of reasons why boxing makes sense and a lot of the boxing issues are solved with pvp anyways. Requiring constant buffs and in a certain order make some classes awful to play without boxing or gives a huge disadvantage to some classes that are helpless without certain buffs. If you come across someone boxing to hold down a camp you can most likely destroy them and fix that issue on a red server.
Closed Thread