Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New to p99

Hey guys . I've finally got ahold of EQ titanium, been wanting to come check out p99 ever since I started playing EQ TLP's. I recently quit playing on angarr when I was finally able to get ahold of eq titanium . I always have played a cleric or warrior as my main . I really love playing the warrior, but figured I should start with cleric to build up some pp to gear out my warrior. So I rolled a halfling cleric because I like the hide / sneak feature later on for xp grps and such . So I played for 3 hours last night ,and still lvl 1 . I die to every 2nd or 3rd mob i try to kill, and yes I'm fighting white cons , i dont remember clerics ever being this ruff to start out . Now my question is should i of rolled the warrior first, because obviously I'm gonna need some pp and or gear to start the cleric , because i just cant deal with the 10 deaths I had in the 2 hours of trying to grind out lvl 1 .or am I gonna run into the same predicament rolling a warrior .
Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Planar Protector

Hey man welcome to the server!
Yeah it can be tough starting out, especially as a cleric.
I suggest getting a duo going, almost any class is a good partner for the cleric - then hopping on the pick up group train for steady exp, clerics are always popular.
BUT if you wanna play a warrior most Id say go for it, gear will come along

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2018, 01:19 AM
Fire Giant

If you want to make plat on this server for alts make a druid / necro / shm / ench or clerics make okay plat from rezzing once they get 96% but if you want to grind out plat at higher lv camps then the other classes I mentioned cant be beat

also a warrior or any pure melee is pretty gear dependent to shine were as those other classes can do it rags
Old 12-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicstorm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey guys . I've finally got ahold of EQ titanium, been wanting to come check out p99 ever since I started playing EQ TLP's. I recently quit playing on angarr when I was finally able to get ahold of eq titanium . I always have played a cleric or warrior as my main . I really love playing the warrior, but figured I should start with cleric to build up some pp to gear out my warrior. So I rolled a halfling cleric because I like the hide / sneak feature later on for xp grps and such . So I played for 3 hours last night ,and still lvl 1 . I die to every 2nd or 3rd mob i try to kill, and yes I'm fighting white cons , i dont remember clerics ever being this ruff to start out . Now my question is should i of rolled the warrior first, because obviously I'm gonna need some pp and or gear to start the cleric , because i just cant deal with the 10 deaths I had in the 2 hours of trying to grind out lvl 1 .or am I gonna run into the same predicament rolling a warrior .
Classic EverQuest is hard, and it's especially hard for anyone who hasn't played it in a long time, and expects it to be like modern MMOGs (or even modern EQ).

But here's a secret: every class is a warrior at level one (except Mages/Necros; they summon level one warriors instead). What I mean by that is that at level 1 characters have almost no class-defining features. Your cleric for instance has only two spells at first: a buff that doesn't matter and a heal that's so weak it almost doesn't matter. Otherwise he acts the same as a Warrior, except with a few less AC/HP which (you guessed it) also doesn't matter.

So if you want to re-roll, great, re-roll. But the frustration you're feeling from the challenges at level one won't be fixed by re-rolling. A level one warrior will die a lot too unless you adjust ... and don't worry, you will adjust.

I say just stick with the cleric if that's what you want to play. Fight whites, bring them close (but not too close) to the guards for safety in case anything goes wrong, then after the fight sit and meditate back up all the way to 100% HP/Mana before you start the next fight. Then repeat. If there are other newbies around you can try grouping with them for added safety.

If you do that I'm sure you'll be leveling (and thus, getting to actually play a cleric) in no time.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-07-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But here's a secret: every class is a warrior at level one (except Mages/Necros; they summon level one warriors instead).
Actually, mages don't start getting pets until level 4. So, they are in the same boat as the other classes, except necros, until level 4.

It can be tuff at level 1, since all mobs are even or higher. Once you get a few levels, things should start getting a little easier as you get more skills and spells and your character becomes more specialized. Although, mobs will become tougher and will get to the point that even cons can become a death sentence for some classes. That's when you either have to group or restrict yourself to blue, or even xp green, mobs.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldwin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, mages don't start getting pets until level 4. So, they are in the same boat as the other classes, except necros, until level 4.
Huh, I even have a mage so I should have known that. Guess it's been too long since I did his first few levels; thanks for the correction.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicstorm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
because i just cant deal with the 10 deaths I had in the 2 hours of trying to grind.
Welcome to real everquest
Old 12-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

10 deaths in 2 hours - that can't be right. Did you equip your weapon? Granted you start at 0 weapon skill but once you get a point or two of weapon skill and a point or two in offense, defense, you should have no problem killing whites. I can see dying once or twice, in the first 10 minutes, but 10 times?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:20 PM
Sarnak

Not sure where you're fighting at but here's a tip--

Fight closer to the guards for whichever starting city/zone you're in. That way, if a fight is a bit too close for comfort, you can run to the guards if you ever get down to 30-40% health.

Otherwise, deaths and the related consequences are part of what makes this game great and exciting to play, even 20 years later!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

If you're under level 5 and have taken a beating, it's quicker to just get killed and come back to life than to sit and rest up, since at that low level, you don't lose exp. when you die.
Closed Thread