Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 12:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
non-classic.
Why do people keep on parroting classic vs nonclassic anymore? It's obviously not a guiding principle anymore or we'd have unrooted dragons and AoEs that could hit more than 25 things.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:56 AM
Kobold

interesting idea. obviously it won't happen.

there are non classic things within reason on p99 and people trying to say otherwise aren't being very truthful.

I'd say instead of the already noted suggestions a wizard that can be better at either running or having more abilities to escape that don't involve gating away. A wizard with a Dead Man Floating and a longer duration Damage Shield comparable to other classes.

Interesting thoughts on an custom/improved QOL P99 server in the future.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:44 AM
Banned

It's ok to theory craft and hypothetical. So many people here get mad about it tho. From a game dev standpoint classic EQ is an interesting starting point. And on live they balanced wizard with more mana, more mana regen, and a line of higher dpm lower dps spells to use when not burning a mob.

All those changes kept wizards in line with their classic feel and they kept their burst dps options until very late expacs, which then pretty much stopped being upgraded as "burst dps" was completely deleted in favor of dps class balance.

Another improvement to wizards in line with classic would be the addition of low hp, high melee defense, very dangerous mobs that would essentially require high burst dps or stealth/snare/root to play around. (Preferably hard to cc and uncharmable, so they weren't exploited)... mobs which could debuff torpor. And where unslowable. Making wizards necessary and useful, or the kings and queens in some areas, or camps. That'd bring interest back to the game. And a full group could probably utilize all their worse DDs in a pinch in order to get around not having a wiz, it wouldn't be as efficient though.

The itemization, hp, ac, atk tuning just got lazier and lazier and more time gated and cookie cutter with newer expacs and mmos. Thats veliouses biggest problem. Luclin reigned that back with new spells and AA that sort of restored the original "im"balance or feel of wizards, mages, rangers.
Last edited by starkind; 12-21-2021 at 03:59 AM..
Old 12-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do people keep on parroting classic vs nonclassic anymore? It's obviously not a guiding principle anymore or we'd have unrooted dragons and AoEs that could hit more than 25 things.
Found the guy who wants easy mode
Old 12-21-2021, 10:17 PM
Planar Protector

Good Wizards get groups. No need for crutches. Learn to stun, root and nuke at the most opportune times and groups will love you and you'll never run out of mana. It's nuanced. A good Wizard keeps things moving at a steady pace and the Enchanter in your group can just drive a pet without anyone needing clarity. Get gud.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:22 PM
Sarnak

I am a great wizard, I pull, snare, root CC and rend robe dps. That being said, unless people know you, you often get the "meh" from most groups initially.

Wizzys really need their epic and a good nuke clicky to be viable in a group setting. But remember, once you can quad you don't need a group.

edit: To the point of un-classic changes, I always felt Wizzys should have got a DMF type spell, but more-so It would give Lev, see-invis, Mana regen, and CR/FR.
Last edited by Master Roshi; 12-21-2021 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: added my non-classic idea!
Old 12-21-2021, 10:25 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah. It's too bad that they can't gather a bunch of people together and take them to cash camps and high zem dungeons.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Says the guy who literally has barely ever played an enchanter yet goes around telling everyone that his memory of enchanters is the only correct one lol

Oh hey it's this guy in an enchanter thread
Old 12-21-2021, 11:43 PM
Sarnak

My idea: dd-breaks-root should have been restricted to single target spells. Get 3-4 non-summoners in camp? Let the druid or wizard blow them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll quote my own thought from a different recent thread rather than re-type the same thing:
It really would have been good if wizards got decent sustained dps from click itemization throughout the timeline.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good Wizards get groups. No need for crutches. Learn to stun, root and nuke at the most opportune times and groups will love you and you'll never run out of mana. It's nuanced. A good Wizard keeps things moving at a steady pace and the Enchanter in your group can just drive a pet without anyone needing clarity. Get gud.
I mean the problem with this statement is that almost every casting class can root. Stun? Can be nice to have but in many groups it’s not really that needed you’re burning through mobs so fast and usually your tank can just interrupt a caster with a bash. Unfortunately a wizard just doesn’t bring that much to the table
Closed Thread