Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Hi y'all! (~13.5yr afk) Fave EQ Classic memories?

GoD came out, didn't like the direction the game was heading so quit, joined the Navy, saw the world, played lots of other MMOs (WoW, EQ2, Guild Wars, AOC, LOTRO, ESO, SWTOR, etc.), got married, "retired" from Navy, got nostalgic, found out about P1999, and figured why not?

I haven't picked a class yet, just mostly lurking on forums reading and trying to decide what I'm most interested in. Thought I'd drop a line to say hello to everyone!

Favorite EQ memories:
1. Has Anybody Here Seen My Corpse?
2. My introduction to MMOs was via EQ; it was a gift to our family for Christmas. *I* was the lucky kid who got to play it first. However, at that point all of my gaming experience was with consoles. So, while trying to get to Freeport, my brand new Erudite got stuck on the docks of Odus. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to open the darned doors! Finally, after 30min of pressing every key on the keyboard and trying every command I could think of -- a la Zork style -- I rage quit and reported to the family that the game was useless and ought to be exchanged for a better one. Little brother and sister got on and figure out in less than three minutes that you gotta click on the door with the mouse.

Anyone else care to share?
Old 10-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

GoD was the impetus for you to join the armed forces?
Old 10-26-2017, 03:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Nah I graduated from high school between the two and that required life choices. I believe I'd moved onto WoW before I joined, IIRC. I joined because I didn't know what else to do with my life and didn't want to randomly throw away money on college when I didn't feel truly committed to going.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:12 PM
Sarnak

GoD is probably the raid expansion that's the most hardcore of any raid system in any mmorpg that will ever exist? because they keep getting dumbed down ever since then.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Kobold

Some of my favorite old school memories were being able to give coin and items to NPCs to great effect. Many laughs to be had watching newbies loot that magical rat worth 1000 copper pieces, slowing them to a dead halt, or watching Fippy Darkpaw go to town with a Short Sword of the Ykesha.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:44 PM
VIP / Contributor

I didnt have a computer that could run EQ when it was released. I had to play on my brother in law's computer under his account. I would only get to play on the weekends when he didnt want to play or needed a break from playing. He was super OCD and didn't like having my characters on his account, so every time i logged off and left his house, he would delete my character. I was torn to shreds the first day he deleted my epic level 5 human monk with 2 rusty warhammers. I had more level 5 monks within the first few months of the server then anyone else likely did.

Then i bought a new computer and the rest is history [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Welcome to the server!
Old 10-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to open the darned doors! Finally, after 30min of pressing every key on the keyboard and trying every command I could think of -- a la Zork style -- I rage quit and reported to the family that the game was useless and ought to be exchanged for a better one.
You open a door by saying "hello sailor". Duh.

I started EQ because my D&D group was all playing it and they were like "we can do this together now". I resisted and resisted but one day I finally broke down and got it. Totally noobed it up, drowing in Qeynos by the bank, accidentally giving my buddy's prized FS mace to some random char and not knowing it wasn't him. After a week I restarted with a fresh char (a DE SK) and before long I had greatly outpaced my friends and never looked back. Went on to have countless adventures raiding hard up until GoD sometime.
Last edited by Raavak; 10-26-2017 at 05:05 PM..
Old 10-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
played lots of other MMOs (WoW, EQ2, Guild Wars, AOC, LOTRO, ESO, SWTOR....
I also left SWTOR, last MMO I played since coming back to P99.

I went back to SWTOR also for about 1-2 years, came back to P99.

Everytime I go back to SWTOR it's worse than it was when I left the game, so sad. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyway, welcome home. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

My earliest memory was first discovering the boat to the rest of the world on my Erudite Magician. I was very young and didn't talk to anyone else, I was mid 20s before I realized there were zones outside of Odus. This was very early Luclin, maybe even around launch.

My best memories are from Planes of Power ironically. Though it was the beginning of the end of Everquest, I really didn't see it like that at the time and absolutely loved the raid content. Flagging for more difficult zones on my Barb Warrior was a blast.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for the welcomes, y'all! Love the stories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbouya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
GoD is probably the raid expansion that's the most hardcore of any raid system in any mmorpg that will ever exist? because they keep getting dumbed down ever since then.
I'm all for casual games! But sometimes you just want to be able to work for something and get rewarded for it. EQ did that really well. As I was playing last night all those bloody tooltips kept coming up and after my first death it read, "You've died! But since you're below level nine, you don't have to go back and get your stuff!" I laughed at that. Even EQ isn't what it was when it started. Gotta grow with the times I guess. (And I should probably install that Velious UI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everytime I go back to SWTOR it's worse than it was when I left the game, so sad. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started playing SWTOR when it first came out; the economy was so bloody broken I just flat out stopped playing. Found out about six months ago that my brother in law played it off and on so I tried it out again. They seemed to fix the major economic issues but all of the servers were deserted. I lasted a couple weeks before it got boring. Community makes a huge difference in MMOs!

I also had a stint in FPS's, but that didn't last nearly as long. The community there is absolutely terrible.
Closed Thread