Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Aviak

Default pet weapons...

Discussion arose amongst a guild/group recently, when I asked a mage for some summoned swords for my necro pet. Historically speaking, this was not only routine, but expected at such multi-group guild endeavors, to maximize pet dps. He would have been happy to do so, as he did give me a muzzle for said pet, but mentioned that the weapons were no longer effective. Another group member chimed in with similar notions, and so in the midst of prepping for our encounter, I let the matter go.

Upon completion of our efforts, I didn't think to raise the issue and investigate the ins/outs for more specific details, so... My question then is this: Is the ineffectiveness due to some changed mechanic within the summoned weapons themselves? Is the issue with pets no longer being able to proc the weapons? Or some other issue? Also, is this just a matter of the Mage summoned weapons, or are all (proc'ing) weapons no longer effective in the hands of a pet? (earthen blade, deadwood stave, stun whip, etc.)

Also, is this a Velious thing? or at what point did this become an issue? I know as recently as a couple of weekends ago, they were still being handed out at raids, multi-group encounters, etc. I am not a fully hardcore warrior, but I play for some time, most days, and don't seem to remember this being discussed- even amongst my fellow pet class friends.

Just curious, and wanting to know, for the sake of understanding pet damage mechanics going forward.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2021, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Mages summon the following sword: https://wiki.project1999.com/Summoned:_Sword_of_Runes, which has the proc of: https://wiki.project1999.com/Ward_Summoned. In the server's early days it implemented a classic bug, which made that proc affect all mobs, but now it only affects summoned (as originally intended). Therefore, the weapon's proc is only relevant if you are fighting summoned mobs (eg. pets, shadowed men).

Giving pets weapons can have benefits even if they don't proc, but I believe (and I'm no expert here) that the weapon's damage has to be higher than a certain amount for it to matter ... and on higher level pets those swords won't have enough damage to matter.

P.S. But personally I give them to my pet anyway: they look cooler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:12 PM
Sarnak

not sure about necro pets, but for charm pets you will get the dual wield benefit (achievable with a torch/lute/bandoleer/etc) if you get two swords on them (even if the proc doesnt work)
Old 07-08-2021, 11:42 PM
Planar Protector

Not sure why you wouldn't weaponize a pet. From my understanding on summoned pets the weapon ratios dont matter at all, you basically give them weapons so they quad and dual wield. Fine steel swords, rusty swords, summoned swords, torches, doesn't matter as it doesn't affect pet damage.

this is how I understand it - feel free to correct me if im wrong

Only caveat to this is I think you can fuck up the necro rogue pet where he won't backstab if you use weapons he cant backstab with - best to leave him fists unless you have daggers
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Last edited by Bardp1999; 07-08-2021 at 11:45 PM..
Old 07-08-2021, 11:50 PM
Planar Protector

Necro summoned pets will need two weapons to dual wield from pet level 19-32. At pet level 33+ the summoned pet does not need weapons to dual wield. Enabling dual wield on low level summoned pets or fighting summoned mobs (for the proc) would be the only reasons to give those summoned weapons to your summoned pet. That or you want your pet to look cool[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Pets do not care about the delay of a weapon. They only care about the damage number. However, the damage number will only increase the pet's damage if the damage number x 2 is greater than the maximum hit damage for that pet. For example, if you gave a Tantors Tusk (50/60 weapon) to a summoned pet that normally does 40 damage maximum, you would increase the pet's maximum damage to 100 (50 x 2). Some weapons specifically have been nerfed to prevent the pet from using the damage number, such as the weighted axe (50/150 weapon that is easy to get). By the time you get to level 40, your pet will be hitting for up to 39. That excludes a large swath of cheap, easy to obtain weapons from being useful as pet weapons, as you would need a weapon with at least 20 damage to see any improvement.

Pets can proc weapons, but as mentioned above, ward summoned isn't a great proc for most encounters. There usually just aren't a lot of mobs flagged as summoned mobs.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:05 AM
Planar Protector

^— great summary.

Yea basically:
* high damage cheap 2h’s to boost pet hits up (typically low levels)
* summoned, rusty, torches to force dual wield in the middle levels (or a 2h+torch…I liked the Argent Defender. 33dmg not lore, cheap).
* situational procs: mages muzzle of mardu is always handy. Otherwise the Sword of Runes has limited useful situations. For tryhards there are cheap droppable weapons like deadwoods, stun whips, serrated bone dirks, dragon horn ykesha, wu’s smite sticks etc. Just know your pet level vs the npc level. It’s the reason deadwood’s are solid performers. Life draw is -200 MR check so it can even land on red cons assuming not like 10+ levels over your pet.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

one of these https://wiki.project1999.com/Shield_..._Slain_Unicorn

and one of these https://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_Discord

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] fashion first!
Old 07-09-2021, 01:51 PM
Aviak

Awesome feedback guys. I am very familiar with the concept of my necro pet and his ability to dual wield, but the ward summoned only working vs summoned mobs is the aspect I was mentally missing. I assume this 'bug' was recently 'fixed' and that's the reason for them no longer being effective in typical encounters.
When I'm going to farm essence of shadow from the shadowed men, I suppose it'll still be worth my time to find a local mage to summon me some pet toys. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the insight, peeps; I appreciate it.
Closed Thread