Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I was just saying that, simply because you got lucky and showed up at the right time for Nilbog to suddenly seem interested
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"

The noise to fact ratio on this forum is very lopsided. If your business is getting stuff done, like developing a game in your spare time, this community's style of input could be exhausting and difficult to wade through.

Obviously, the new servers put the crunch into development time. However, Dolalin's contributions (from what little I've read) appear to be focused on providing usable information to the developers, not on subjective opinions or rehashing old p1999 CW.

As you respect the developers and the project I would take "Source?" at it's meaning. If you want to assume anything, I would suggest that recognizing your potential, Nilbog is asking you to find and cite something he can work with.

I started live during POP on a new server. Many of the zems seem similar to that era. Perhaps, it represented the oldest high quality source of zems they had access to at that time, pending further investigation.

Btw, I post with all due respect, or I wouldn't have bothered. I think you and Dolalin do god's work in a hall of sinners, each in your own way.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loramin, please allow cd288 to continue translating the oracle's one word answers for us lowly commoners.
nilbog SLAMS goofy librarian with stunning rebuke - "Source?"
Old 01-13-2020, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
source?
Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I think as some have said in other forum posts over the years it could be as simple as all of us not knowing the ZEMs existed. Ultimately I remember going wherever there were groups. So for me, I remember grouping a lot in Oasis, SK, and eventually when Kunark came out, moving to Overthere and DL. I don't think I really ever leveled a character in a dungeon until much later on (KC, etc in Kunark).
Old 01-13-2020, 09:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
feel free to tell me to fuck off.
Fuck Off
Old 01-14-2020, 10:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On review (damn I wish RnF had edit), I think the "defensiveness" you're picking up on is between me and Dolalain (note that the post you quoted was in fact a reply to him). I was just "defending" the fact that we had no classic ZEM activity for five years, because he seems to be newer here and (sort of) called me out earlier.

But again, all the stuff about us not having classic ZEMs I want to be wrong about. As I've tried hard to stress, I very much don't want things to continue the way they are, and for Dolalain's research to be ignored.

Nothing would make me happier than Nilbog "giving me the middle finger " ... in the form of a patch that adds classic ZEMs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think he's debating whether the ZEMs are classic or not. I think he's debating this comment you've always made that he on purpose makes ZEMs non-classic in order to emulate some sense of "ZEM mystery" and create a more "classic atmosphere". And that he stands in the way of them being classic on purpose.

The ZEMs aren't all classic. But, contrary to what you've claimed multiple times in the past, that's not because Nilbog purposefully makes them so to try and create an atmosphere where people know less about them like they may have during the classic era. In large part it's because we don't have full information on what classic ZEMs were. His "source?" question is contesting your contrary claim on those points.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think he's debating whether the ZEMs are classic or not. I think he's debating this comment you've always made that he on purpose makes ZEMs non-classic in order to emulate some sense of "ZEM mystery" and create a more "classic atmosphere". And that he stands in the way of them being classic on purpose.

The ZEMs aren't all classic. But, contrary to what you've claimed multiple times in the past, that's not because Nilbog purposefully makes them so to try and create an atmosphere where people know less about them like they may have during the classic era. In large part it's because we don't have full information on what classic ZEMs were. His "source?" question is contesting your contrary claim on those points.
Again, anyone can decide what his one-word comment meant, and there's no doubt he was saying I was full of shit about something. But as an English major I can assure you there are any number of ways one can parse the collection of words that was my quote, and the single word that was Nilbog's, to define the details of what specifically I was full of shit about.

As for the part about being wrong about Nilbog's motivations? Again, yes I'm likely wrong, and very happy to be. Like I said, Nilbog never talks. Rogean barely does either, but at least once every couple years or so he decides to make a brief appearance in the forums. But Nilbog, outside the bug forums? There's a reason I posted that "giddy girl gif" after he wrote one word ... it was one word more than he's said on the matter for over half a decade!

Again, for the 5+ years I've been here, ZEMS have remained unclassic ... even though the devs have always claimed that all they want is "classic", and even though supposedly the classic ZEMs are baked in to EQEmu. That's created cognitive dissonance, between the fact that "Nilbog wants classic" and the fact that "Nilbog left an obvious thing unclassic for half a decade". The two don't square.

Every other similar contradiction here has an explanation. Maybe, in trying to square that circle I (or more likely, someone else that I go the idea from) came up with the explanation that Nilbog DOES want classic ... it's just with ZEMs he wants "classic mystery".

But if that was wrong, and me saying the wrong thing loudly a few times means that instead of having to keep tell ourselves the same cognitive dissonance-resolving lie for five more years, Nilbog actually makes that dissonance to go away ... how could I be upset about that?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Again, anyone can decide what his one-word comment meant, and there's no doubt he was saying I was full of shit about something. But as an English major I can assure you...
Old 01-14-2020, 12:14 PM
Fire Giant

On Brell Serilis during pre Velious within the Kunark expansion my guild took advantage of my having both a bard and a rock solid internet connection for Kedge grouping for maximum experience. All I had to do was crank the water breathing song in a room for hours while everyone else did the work. As a back up we all had 3+ Mage summoned water stones but out of all the play sessions I think they were only put to use like twice.

The experience was MUCH, MUCH better than grinding in the usual pick-up locations like Dreadlands or the Overthere. The other two key zones that were perma camped were Karnor's (for the loot) and the Hole (had an exp rate similar to kedge). I really don't have anything to contribute to the thread other than "Yes, this is not classic, and yes, it feels intentional."
Old 01-14-2020, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nilbog SLAMS goofy librarian with stunning rebuke - "Source?"
nilbog eviscerates Loramin, to learn more just click here.
Closed Thread