Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:30 AM
Fire Giant

Default Starting Enchanter need help please :)

Hi there Encs of Norrath, i could use some help please, i wanna start an enchanter.

Race:

Whats the best race for an enchanter?
How good are Dark Elf and High Elf? I would prefer to play one of these.
Does it even matter since encs have so many illusions?

Starting Points:

How should i spend my starting points?
Im looking forward to be a group/raid enchanter, im gonna mezz a lot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Important Enc-tricks:

I never played an enc before so im happy for any tricks and tipps you have for me.

Important macros? For example targetting-macros? Im not really sure how encs handle the targetting for effective mezzing.

Any other "Enc-must-know" stuff ? im glad for any advice. Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Sarnak

hey . alles in cha . int geht von alleine genug hoch . nimm nen highelf . der hat starting wise sehr hohe int und mehr cha als def . btw was willst du mit nem chanter ?[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Sarnak

bzw vielleicht noch bisschen in sta fuer hps ... du wirst oft gehaun werden ....
Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Fire Giant

Agnostic or gtfo
Old 05-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Kobold

Dark Elf

Every point possible into CHA

Agnostic

Profit
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Aviak

Best race : An agnostic one, for maximum usage from illusions and faction bonuses. But really, play whatever - outside of a few minor stat bonuses, it doesnt really matter. I generally play a gnome since they are just way cooler than anything else, and evil races can be a little limited when it comes to cities(not that it really matters to if you dont mind using illusions and all that). If i werent playing a gnome i would probably make a dark elf - high elves are just a bag of faggoty suck(their stats arent half bad though).

Starting Points:
Int + charisma. Some swear to int, some swear to charisma. Generally i put it all into cha, and rest in int. Some i guess, do it the other way around. You can generally max int fairly easy, and the size of your manapool as an enchanter isnt that important, its all about the mana regen - since you rarely are in full mana situations when the pulls keeps pouring in.

Important Enc-tricks:
Well, you can do alot of neat stuff with illusions and faction buffs, provided you dont fuck up your faction. For instance, being non kos in SOLB was pretty neat on the VZTZ server - but really, fucking around with factions is a bit secondary on a server like this one - just have it in mind.

In general playing an enchanter is all about timing, staying under the radar and off the agro list. I often see enchanters utilizing their AE stun way too much, since they panic and want to control a train immidiately - this can work, but really, you are atracting way too much attention this way, and a solid group should be able to stay alive for the few seconds it takes for you to lock down everything. You might feel successfull since you stopped the train, and the healer alive, but you dont want to be his mana sponge.
Time your messes and apply when needed. Study the effects of your spells all the way down to mana ratio, and look at your group and apply accordingly.

Dont be afraid to use root - its the cure against necros and retarded melees - and its often a help to root before breaking mez.

I generally use a combination of clicking, Movement and F8 to do targeting. The only thing i use macros for is to tell the retarded melees in my group which mobs are messed. Not that it really matters, but i guess it serves as a reminder to not bash in random skulls at will.

Any other "Enc-must-know" stuff ? im glad for any advice. Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
99% of them sucks ass, and its also the most frustrating and the most fun and rewarding class in the game.

You are the deciding factor when it comes to fun and posibilities. Sure you can do dervish in N/Sro, or crocodiles in oasis or some other retarded zone. However, the same group could be tearing up upper guk or similar dungeon, which is alot more fun and rewarding on all parts. But something that also requires an enchanter and a descent group set up to function properly.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Sarnak

An agnostic Dark Elf can do the Stein of Moggok at lvl 8 with very little help. Could even get a Crude Stein from the usual Oggok guard group that's there if you ask nicely. Enjoy 10 Int and 15 Cha if you get both [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Hide is great for when you need to go afk.

Unless you have a taunting tank, don't bother casting any DD or most debuffs (disempower, etc. Languid pace might be okay but at these levels groups scythe through mobs so don't waste the mana). You'll immediately draw agro. Seriously. I cast a lvl 16 nuke at a mob that was at 30% and drew his ire. Don't nuke. Don't DoT. Enchanters in a group aren't about DPS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And yes, sadly, Root parking will be your friend. Most people, even after it's explained to them COUNTLESS TIMES, are STILL going to break your mezzes willy nilly, and if it's after they kill the loose mob, they will NOT let you mem blur it. So save yourself the headache (and the healer mana) and just root it in place, and hope you get a working Mem Blur off before it breaks or someone else grabs agro. This is usually not that much of a problem with a Taunting class.

And don't be afraid to tell off whining melee(it's almost ALWAYS Rogues, Monks, and Bards) who cry for haste all day (at least if they keep saying "haste pls" after you tell them you're OOM). Tell those jackholes that Quickness is a FOUR MINUTE BUFF at lvl 16, and takes about 20% of your mana to cast. Personally I set a timer and do try to keep up with it, but the fight/group comes first. Alacrity is better at 24, it lasts for 11 minutes I'm told.

Lower levels are rough. There will be times that you will hate the class, or your group, or both. Until you get used to things you might die a LOT. But if you stick with it, the Enchanter is a very rewarding class.

Oh, and Root mobs near AFK pet casters [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] It gets their pet into the action when the mob hits the person, and if you set it right the pet gets immediate agro when they get closer than their master. The Enchanter is the subtlest of casters... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But only do that if they recently said they were FM.
Last edited by km2783; 05-25-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Aviak

Slightly edited from another thread but relevant to the conversation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaco
Casters cap out Int with Pre Kunark Gear, casters cap out Charisma with Pre Kunark Gear, casters cap out Wisdom with Pre Kunark gear (even troll shammys).

You will have encounters with AOEs that will hit you regardless of your wis/int/char so stam will keep you alive longer even though you "think" the returns on it are small.

When Kunark lands you also get the Mana Robe that converts hps to mana.

With all of these factors at play here, what is the most logical choice for casters to make stat wise?
Long story short? Stam if your looking at endgame content. Agnostic for diety and really, race dosent matter as much (human if you are going for extreme min maxing since their stam is the highest). The only variable that makes race matter is cultural armors if you are looking to do tradeskills. Personally I like DE cultural since its easier to farm elf blood than it is to farm the High Elf temper mats for their cultural when that becomes an option.

If you have no dreams of hitting the planes or will delete the character before kunark hits then whatever looks the prettiest.
Last edited by Thac0; 05-25-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Old 05-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thac0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Slightly edited from another thread but relevant to the conversation:

Long story short? Stam if your looking at endgame content
unless you are a necro or shaman i dont see how STA is that important for end game casters..... i would rather have STR (once you max out INT)for carrying more shit when im grinding levels.

i dont know what kind of casters other people play, but i play the safer way and not take hits....we do wear robes afterall.

unless this was a PVP server then STA is king
Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Fire Giant

Instead of assuming someone's an idiot, try to do it the right way first, and if people are confused, try to explain it to them.

A week or two ago, I was a level 16 SK invited to an oasis orc highway group with some combination of chanters, druids, shamans and a single bard. Before I came there the bard was pulling multiples and all the casters were rooting every mob in a pull and burning them down individually, with aggro flying around everywhere, and they kept doing it even after I joined.

I started PMing a friend on steam about how retarded these people were, but after a while I decided that there was no reason for me to get mad and maybe they didn't know how well I could hold aggro. So I told them all what to do, the bard pulled 4, I DCed them all on me, and they were able to aoe all 4 down with no threat to the casters in the time that it would have taken them to kill one. We kept doing this for hours with no problems.

tl;dr: Before you assume everyone is retarded, try to get them to do it the right way - you might be surprised.
Closed Thread