Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

woof elf
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

This is a tough one I've pondered over quite a bit in the past. It really comes down to dark elf, gnome, half elf, halfling, human (I guess), iksar and wood elf. This is because: dwarves are awful and easily the worst possible choice for any character; largely because they're so ugly. Ogres are trolls are big and awkward to play, and everyone is either an ogre or troll. Barbarians just aren't great... pretty big still, and you wouldn't expect one to be graceful.

Dark elf is an awesome choice because they get hide, which as a warrior is an indispensable skill. Dark elves objectively have the worst starting stats, though if we're just playing a numbers game I'd rank them over gnome for hide. EQ is not a numbers game though, and dark elves are one of the absolute coolest races this game has. They look supercool in plate armor, and their deity choices allow for a surprising range of RP options.

As a follower of Innoruuk you can play the evil and hate-filled dark elf stereotype, which is always fun. Rallos Zek allows for an expression of that warrior spirit, and as an agnostic you can be anything from super evil to Drizzt-like hero of Tunare. On live my warrior was Rallos (because dwarves suck) dark elf, and I leveled her painfully as anti-pk in gfay from level 1.

Gnome is another top choice, because as the smallest race you're automatically badass. They look really cool in plate as well, and through tinkering get gnome-only armors in Velious that offer fun battery rechargeable clickies. Playing as a 55+ gnome warrior in Velious can be a unique experience because you have the option of carrying around batteries and a toolbox with your gnome armor, and doing things like self haste and sow.

Agnostic and Brell are "meh" choices for a gnome; but Rallos gives the mental image of a bloodthirsty (and deadly) anklebiter, and Bertoxxulous is one of the most unique deities to choose from. Being a tiny EVIL little gnome looking to spread disease and famine across the lands is hard to pass up, and Bertox gnome easily jumps near the top of my "best warrior" list.

Half elves are as always a great race, but I wouldn't choose one over wood elf unless I really wanted a unique deity or bell bottoms/short hair. They look great in plate, and my druid is half elf for the look. Of those listed here, half elves tie with iksar as having the second best stats (though half elves have higher cha, which matters pretty much not at all).

Where this race really shines is in deity selection and RP range. Thanks in large part to their human blood, their choices are: agnostic, Bertoxxulous, Erollisi Marr, Innoruuk, Karana, Mithaniel Marr, Prexus, Rallos Zek, Rodcet Nife, The Tribunal, and Tunare. Interestingly, they are the only warriors who worship Prexus.

Tons of unique ways to go here; being an evil Innoruuk worshipping character with elven blood is awesome. Best choices: Bertox, Inny, Erollisi, Rodcet, Tunare and Prexus.

Halflings have the best stats out of all the worthwhile warriors, and they get hide and SNEAK! The only warriors to get the useful sneak skill, which is huge. Also exp bonus. The males look pretty awesome in plate, but the female models don't, unfortunately. It's great fun to roleplay as a halfling, because they're awesome! Halflings know how to throw a party and have a good time. This option used to be much more viable back on live, but now that everyone is a min/maxer you see almost as many halfling warriors as you do troll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Deity options are agnostic, Brell and Rallos. Brell and agnostic are *yawn*, so your best bet is to be a silly pie eating warmonger.

Humans are sort of okay. They don't look completely terrible in plate, and their starting stats are better than that of the dark elves, gnomes and wood elves. They're blind which is actually a big deal. A big deity selection available to them.

Agnostic, Bertoxxulous, Erollisi Marr, Innoruuk, Karana, Mithaniel Marr, Rallos Zek and Rodcet Nife. Any of these choices is fine, though it's going to be kinda hard to spice up the bland flavor of the human race. I suggest Rodcet or Erollisi if you want to be good, and Bertox if you're looking to be evil. There are too few Bertox warriors in Norrath.

Iksar are tied with half elves as having the second best stats (though lower cha), and in Velious when they are given plate armor sets they become the best min/max tank because of their AC bonus. They get the coveted forage skill, which is a lot cooler than most people realize. An iksar warrior will never need to buy food, and foraging is actually a lot of fun. HP regen is also a big bonus, especially while leveling up. They are the only good warriors that have an xp penalty, but warriors get a slight xp bonus for some reason anyway so it's pretty negligible. They look very cool, and have unique animations. Not being able to use Cobalt is a bit of a downer, but it's not really a gamebreaker.

The biggest downside to the iksar race is that they don't get any fun deity selections. Cazic is boring, and even agnostic would be preferable. They lose a lot of points for this, but they still remain one of the top contenders.

Wood elf is likely your best bet, assuming you're anything like me. They get hide and forage, which have practical and RP purposes. I like to forage and give out my rabbit meat to friends, because a proper elf doesn't eat meat. A few fun choices for deity, though the obvious best option is Tunare.

Agnostic, Karana, Rallos, Tunare. Tunare is the #1 choice.

Red99
Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Skeleton

It does not matter what race you pick.
All have advantages/disadvantages.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics

Look at experince and starting stats.
Four things to consider. It is hard to cap stamina on gear alone until velious
raid gear if your not an Ogre. Ikkies have small ac/regen bonus
and trolls have regen bonus. They not that important once
well geared though. Weight penalty for lower str when low lvls without twink gear.
The last thing to consider is exp bonus/penalties, small
races having bonus and large having penalties.

Stat str/stam/agi/dex in that order for small races.
Stat agi/stam/dex for large races.

Str is easily maxxed late game, dex/stam being a second close during Vel, and the agi being hardest to max with the str/sta being priority.

Diety (RZek always for cultural gear though not important unless Luclin is released.)

(Someone also mentioned slam, alot of mobs past 50 become unstunnable though I am not sure if the slam mechanic adds aggro for its stun chance???)
Last edited by Ihova; 02-17-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Old 02-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I was a dwarf warrior for 5 years, main tanked all of Velious - GoD. Don't need to be an ogre to be viable, be what you want.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Sarnak

Iksar warrior.. that is the only choice
Old 02-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar warrior.. that is the only choice
That is the worst choice. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Dwarf or Ogre.
Closed Thread