Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dru charm NOT based on CHA? this is confirmed, or utmost heresy?
Confirmed. It's based on mob level and magic resistance
Old 09-28-2015, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

+1 to animal charm. Sometimes there really aren't (m)any animals to pet, depending on the zone, but I've seen druids put mileage on sathir-caller wolf pets in KC groups and what not. If you plan on raiding at all, try grabbing up one of the soul carriers or whatever in PoS. Angry bird is pretty nice as long as you can keep from dying to it.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Orc

If you decide grouping isn't your thing grab any melee character go to great divide charm a Kodiak and fear kite outside the caves.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Druid charmed pets top parses in PoHate/Fear/Sky. Also in Kael using a charmed dire wolf I have been able to top the parse on Derakor when I wasn't even in camp.

I had /pet guarded my wolf in our raid camp, I aggroed Derakor and his guards, AE snared his guards and kited them around, got a target on Derakor as he got tagged by an SK into our camp, waited until main tank called assist and /pet attack. The pet did something like 100 DPS. Beating out main rogues and wizards.

Charmed pet is #1 option if you understand how to control it (Ensnare EVERY charmed pet. NEVER stand in its Melee range and eat hits trying to recharm. ALWAYS kite away the pet and recharm without getting hit). They are solid DPS in Kael, Dragon Necropolis, Siren Grotto, West Wastes, and PoMischief for any group you have. They will be far more efficient than any DoT or Nuke you can cast.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned before. Besides charming, the next highest damage you will get is by putting a damage shield on the tank. Its unresistable damage, its relatively cheap mana, and it lasts for several minutes. Seriously, do it.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civenge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned before. Besides charming, the next highest damage you will get is by putting a damage shield on the tank.
OP snuck it in towards the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisatsea [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once I've buffed the group and recharged my mana what's next? I mean besides giving the tank thorns. Any advice is appreciated, 40 druid.
It is really decent though and not enough druids keep it up on tank consistently imo.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:35 AM
Fire Giant

Druid nukes are arguable second or third best (about on par with mage) in the game. You ARE a decent nuker. You can fill the role of a wizard, nuking down hard mobs and casters. while saving mana on easy mobs.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

Druids are a Hell of a Lot better high end than most people give them credit for. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any class solo is slow going as heck solo, and having a evac, porter in a group is a God Send in Velious, not counting Dots, DD, Charm. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druids are a Hell of a Lot better high end than most people give them credit for. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any class solo is slow going as heck solo, and having a evac, porter in a group is a God Send in Velious, not counting Dots, DD, Charm. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Better than most people give them credit for? Maybe. But worse than pretty much any other class in a group. They have crap mana regen and their nukes are easily resisted and take a lot of mana. Their buffs are outclassed by shamans and clerics (until POTG). Their CC comes down to root and snare, which a necro can do and necros get mez as well.

Want a healer? get a cleric, or a shaman for good buffs/slow + same/better heals than druid

Want DPS? get a rogue, monk, wizard, mage, necro, enchanter, ranger, warrior, all of whom do better DPS than a druid. Heck an SK with a decent weapon probably does better sustained DPS than a druid nuking/medding. Exception: druids who have the balls to charm DPS, and access to an appropriate level animal mob. This is very rarely the case in my experience.

Want crowd control? get an enchanter, bard, or necro, all of whom have better CC tools, or get a paladin for root/offtanking.

Want ports? sure, get a druid, but groups don't really need the ability to travel, they usually form up in the dungeon they'll be grouping in.

Want evac? sure, get a druid, but you'd probably be better served getting a bard or enchanter to CC so you won't need to evac.

Source: played a druid on live Kunark - Luclin. They are pretty great at traveling and soloing, but in groups they just don't have any single strong role so they end up being mediocre at several roles. The only time druids are really useful in groups is a) when they can add charm animal DPS or b) when you can't find a single shaman or cleric LFG and you need heals.
Last edited by Pyrocat; 09-30-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Old 09-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Better than most people give them credit for? Maybe. But worse than pretty much any other class in a group. They have crap mana regen and their nukes are easily resisted and take a lot of mana. Their buffs are outclassed by shamans and clerics (until POTG). Their CC comes down to root and snare, which a necro can do and necros get mez as well.

Want a healer? get a cleric, or a shaman for good buffs + same/better heals than druid

Want DPS? get a rogue, monk, wizard, mage, necro, enchanter, ranger, warrior, all of whom do better DPS than a druid. Heck an SK with a decent weapon probably does better sustained DPS than a druid nuking/medding. Exception: druids who have the balls to charm DPS, and access to an appropriate level animal mob. This is very rarely the case in my experience.

Want crowd control? get an enchanter, bard, or necro, all of whom have better CC tools, or get a paladin for root/offtanking.

Want ports? sure, get a druid, but groups don't really need the ability to travel, they usually form up in the dungeon they'll be grouping in.

Want evac? sure, get a druid, but you'd probably be better served getting a bard or enchanter to CC so you won't need to evac.

Source: played a druid on live Kunark - Luclin. They are pretty great at traveling and soloing, but in groups they just don't have any single strong role and end up being mediocre and quite a few things.
A lot of truth in this post, and I main a druid. Ive pretty much solo'd 1-55 and plan on staying in bear pits till 60. Were just not the best additions to a 6 man group, but perhaps that will change a little when we get our new heals.

We can CC, heal, DPS, buff etc, but there is always a class that can do better in most cases. When i do group, and theres a charmable animal available, I ALWAYS charm. It brings better dps than we ever could.

On raids I usually will charm (if available) and spot heal/buff. Kiting is an option too, but normally not needed.