Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Orc

Lightbulb Spell price arbitrage

So I've been collecting Kunark spells since Velious came out since I prefer to level there instead of Velious. I anticipated (guessed) an upward trend in Kunark spell demand about a month into Velious and it seems like there is more demand now. However there are still some spells going at bargain prices when there are other people who have been WTB them for months. Sure it's good for the buyer's bank roll if they manage to find their WTB spell in a timely manner, but bad for the spell economy. This has happened to a few people I know now who were WTB spells.

How long will people wait before paying more for a spell they want? How can we set up a system where the people who WTB a spell, don't have to do so if they don't mind paying a premium to get it ASAP without feeling ripped off? Is it possible? Is the spell economy just too sparse to actually be its own economy because people who need spells will just either wait years if they have to or just farm it themselves?

Just another day in tunnel quest...
Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Fire Giant

The Kunark spell economy is currently not based in reality on this server. The prices do not match the utility and rarity of the spell. There are quite a few spells that are very difficult to find but sell very cheaply when they hit the market. There is a fortune to be made if anyone can bring order from this chaos.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Fire Giant

edit: double post
Last edited by Expediency; 09-30-2015 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: dp
Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

WTS Pox of Bertoxxulous 50k, WTS Theft of Thought 5k, WTS Convergence 4k

You'll get some people laughing in your face at first, but do this all day every day for a couple weeks and watch all the tunnel rats follow suit.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Kobold

This whole post seems to be about how to rip people off, and make this "economy" unfriendly to new players.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Era'viss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This whole post seems to be about how to rip people off, and make this "economy" unfriendly to new players.
Spells are scarce. As long as there are more buyers than sellers, they will remain scarce. Do you have a solution to this problem of basic economics?
Last edited by Expediency; 09-30-2015 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 09-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spells are scarce. As long as there are more buyers than sellers, they will remain scarce. Do you have a solution to this problem of basic economics?
It's fake money on a game that you're trying to accumulate, right? So you can take your monocle off.

If it's someone who has hundreds of thousands of play, I'm sure they'll agree to the crazy high price. If it's someone new to the server who can't afford your crazy high prices, you're preventing them from getting their pixels because of your perceived price.

Wait... do you work for Turing Pharmaceuticals? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Era'viss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's fake money on a game that you're trying to accumulate, right? So you can take your monocle off.

If it's someone who has hundreds of thousands of play, I'm sure they'll agree to the crazy high price. If it's someone new to the server who can't afford your crazy high prices, you're preventing them from getting their pixels because of your perceived price.

Wait... do you work for Turing Pharmaceuticals? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spells are completely consumed once bought, there's no resale market unlike most gear.
Demand is up but prices are not. I think that's interesting and don't know if it will continue to be like that or not so I'm speculating on the price.

You know, so I don't get ripped off either?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:

I'm not advocating a high nor a low price, Im advocating a market price. Leave the "fake money" trolling in another thread, please, if your PP has no value to you I'll be happy to lighten your load.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by manguard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spells are completely consumed once bought, there's no resale market unlike most gear.
Demand is up but prices are not. I think that's interesting and don't know if it will continue to be like that or not so I'm speculating on the price.

You know, so I don't get ripped off either?
How would you get ripped off? It isn't like they can say the spell is one thing then switch it before you click trade. (Should be able to do that though, classic and all).

If you agree to a price and later find someone selling it for less, the spell was still worth the purchase price to you at the time you paid it since you voluntarily entered into that trade.
Closed Thread