Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Kobold

Default Threat Weapon Rankings

Please don't take this as gospel. There is a TON missing from this list. But I just wanted to get it started. So any additions let me know.

This is in my experience the Rankings of current agro weapons in game. Please lets discuss the list and move things in/up/down list as the discussion goes on. I think a good list of agro weapons with how much threat they produce will be a good resource for this section for tanks looking to get some threat weapons.

Now this doesn't include all the proc weapons cause some suck. Such as Jaleans, Kriezzen Flame, Dagarns Tail. They are great weapons but not threat weapons.

Scepter of Destruction
Strikes your target with a chaotic burst of mental energy, causing between 264 and 274 damage
Trident of the Deep Sea
Crushes your target with a wave of water, causing 20 damage every 6 seconds and lowering attack speed for up to 6 secs
Blade of Strategy
Strikes your target with the rage of Vallon Zek, causing 100 damage and severe anger in your target.
Nevederia's Horn
Constricts your target's throat, causing between 34 to 65 damage initially and 11 damage every six seconds for 1.5 mins as well as lowering their strength and agility. Damage per mana
Sword of the Shissar
Fills your target's blood with poison, causing 30 damage initially and 27 damage every six seconds for 42 seconds for a total of 219 damage
Wavecrasher
Chokes your target with mist, lowering attack speed and causing 20 damage every 6 seconds for up to 1 min
Willsapper
Drains your target's energy, lowering attack speed for up to 6 secs
Feverblade - Bane of the Shissar
Decrease hp by 110, +41 hp on mob per tick
Veldrak's Shortblade/Shortsword
Strikes your target with a burst of intense force, causing between 133 and 179 damage.
Cracked Claw of Zlandicar
Saps your target's power, decreasing their agility, strength, and armor class for 4.0 mins
Braid of Golden Hair
Summons a swarm of insects to attack your target, causing 50 damage every 6 seconds for up to 6 secs
Blade of the Swarm
Summons a swarm of insects to attack your target, causing 50 damage every 6 seconds for up to 6 secs
Frostbringer
Freezes your target with ice, lowering armor class and causing 60 damage.
Sarnak Warhammer
Strikes an enemy with holy power, briefly stunning them
Silken Whip of Ensnaring
Entangles your target's feet with magical roots, slowing their movement speed
Ykeshan Weapons
Decrease Hitpoints by 75
Old 10-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by baue1446 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ykeshan Weapons
Decrease Hitpoints by 75
Aggro in Ykesha is so high because of the instant stun, not the damage.

Also, there's no mention of Infestation or Trochilic's Skean in your list.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aggro in Ykesha is so high because of the instant stun, not the damage.

Also, there's no mention of Infestation or Trochilic's Skean in your list.
Where do you think those weapons fit in on the list? I haven't used either so unsure.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Fire Giant

Nev Horn is terrible aggro. The reason zlandi cracked claw is so good is the ac reduction which the horn doesn't have.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by baue1446 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where do you think those weapons fit in on the list? I haven't used either so unsure.
Towards the top of the list, due to the nature of the proc rather than the ratio of the weapon.
In general best aggro procs are
stun/dd
dot
slow/debuff
lifetap/other
Old 10-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nev Horn is terrible aggro. The reason zlandi cracked claw is so good is the ac reduction which the horn doesn't have.
So drop down or off the list?
Old 10-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Fire Giant

Blade of Strategy
Trident of the Deep Sea
Wavecrasher/Willsapper/Truncheon of Doom
Scepter of Destruction
Sword of Shissar / Infestation
Jaelen's Katana
Blood Point
Frostbringer
Feverblade
Veldrak's Weapons
Silver Whip of Rage
Trochilic's Skean
Sarnak Warhammer
Ykesha Weapons

SoD is the rolex (and most desireable) of weapons for obvious reasons (stats, rarity). Procs are secondary and white damage really matters. Ask me the BIS combo and I'd say Jaelen's primary and a Blade of Carnage secondary.

Edit: had blood point and jaelen's switched
Last edited by Naethyn; 10-18-2016 at 07:19 PM..
Old 10-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuvy The Destroyer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
stun/dd
dot
slow/debuff
lifetap/other
I tend to agree with this threat/proc tier list. However, I'm curious as to what you would say about the weapons that might have a proc that has components from 2 different tiers? I've thought of this before and I've never had an organic opportunity to bring it up.

For instance, wavecrasher has a slow and dot components in one proc. Anecdotally, I want to say that I notice a giant jump in threat level immediately upon proccing the wc, so it seems to me that the slow portion generates threat independently of the dot since the dot doesn't even need to tick to see an immediate snap of agro. Furthermore, I considered weapons that just have dot procs and I noticed that these weapons seem to generate a long series of threat spikes corresponding with the dot ticks instead of one large threat dump like you see on the dd/stun/slow. Personally, I noticed this when using infestation. Specifically if I hadn't snapped agro immediately upon proc that I would snap agro nearly the instant its dot would actually tick its 1st/2nd/3rd/etc. round of damage.

If it's additive or cumulative at all, weapons like the wavecrasher should be in a unique tier above any weapon that exclusively has a dot component or slow component proc. I couldn't think of another weapon with a proc like that so that's why I use wc as my example, if there are others feel free to differentiate accordingly. Again, this is just something I noticed and wondered about to myself before, if anyone has anything they could add or point out, feel free.

Other than that, I would consider the edited list from OP to be accurate and pretty darn useful.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Blade of Strategy
Trident of the Deep Sea
Wavecrasher/Willsapper/Truncheon of Doom
Scepter of Destruction
Sword of Shissar / Infestation
Jaelen's Katana
Blood Point
Frostbringer
Feverblade
Veldrak's Weapons
Silver Whip of Rage
Trochilic's Skean
Sarnak Warhammer
Ykesha Weapons

SoD is the rolex (and most desireable) of weapons for obvious reasons (stats, rarity). Procs are secondary and white damage really matters. Ask me the BIS combo and I'd say Jaelen's primary and a Blade of Carnage secondary.

Edit: had blood point and jaelen's switched
Ive used jaleans and blood point and consider both garbage for agro. Not sure how you consider them even close to feverblade and verdix which have great snap agro imo.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:25 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuvy The Destroyer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
stun/dd
dot
slow/debuff
lifetap/other
For an example, this is how I think a proc event is handled in regards to threat.

I'm going to start by assigning each proc type a value and setting a scale based on this tier list and then observe that over time (instant procs I'm going to consider 1sec duration) Using 'units of threat' or (tu) ill try to illustrate what I'm noticing.

Stun/DD = 12tu (instant) = 12tu/1sec
DoT = 16tu (instant 4tu; each DoT tick generates 3tu) = 4tu/1sec + 12tu/18sec = 4tu/1sec + an additional avg of 1.5tu/1sec for 18seconds; note can be refreshed.
Slow/Debuff = 8tu (instant) = 8tu/1sec
lifetap/other = 5tu (instant) = 5tu/1sec

I think this is why DoT weapons like infestation can out perform something like a willsapper or other lower tier proc when just considering threat. The infestation can proc to generate a modest amount of threat immediately, then sustain the threat for the duration of the DoT by way of a constant intake of small threat from each subsequent tick of damage. Keep in mind, it could be maintained a lot longer than the duration because it can be refreshed, which would also add another chunk of threat instantly because the fresh proc and also extend the lifetime of that constant threat/time that comes from the DoT ticking. I think this is why weapons like this can get you like 90% of the way to being an awesome threat dealing machine with like 1% of the effort involved in getting a technically better threat weapon like Epic or ZClaw. I'm assuming I'm wrong, but this is the best model I've come up with that explains the differences between the proc types.

But for something like the wavecrasher I'm not so sure a DoT weapon alone can out perform it because of the dot ticks that follow a large instant threat spike from the slow portion.
Wavecrasher proc = 8tu/1sec(slow threat) + 4tu/1sec(instant dot threat) + 'N'tu/1sec for Xseconds from the dot. Given that its a dot just like Infestation it has the capability of refreshing its proc too. Thereby not only generating that initial spike in threat, but also further sustaining its threat/time by resetting the dot dmg timer.

Lemme know if you see a flaw in my reasoning, I'm pretty mentally wiped out from work so I hope Im making sense lol.

tl;dr Wavecrasher I think should be on the same tier as Trident of the Deep Sea, given they both have procs that slow and dot. And given the way procs seem to work here, it should be placed with its counterpart and away from other weapons that uniquely slow or dot.
Last edited by lootrogue; 10-18-2016 at 08:44 PM..
Closed Thread