Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 PM
Planar Protector

give us more info!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Something like this is definitely against the rules (clear statements by GMs, some linked/quoted above).

I've never actually heard of anyone being banned for this alone though. I would suspect it has to do more with what you are doing with it than that you used a macro on a programmable Razor-like mouse.

Generally speaking, if your macro is doing something that you could physically do then you're probably okay (no logic, simple key presses, etc.). If you are running the same macro while AFK then you're in big trouble.

I've known players that have used tab targeting macros on their necros, for example, while camping a ph. I suspect that if a GM comes along and questions them that they would be okay IF they are actually at their keyboard and not AFK clearing the area with their macro.

Nonetheless, please post a follow up either way to let other folks know what you got called on here.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iddqd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

This is probably a stupid question - but using your mouse sofware for keypress is bannable ?

Because i think i just learned the hard way if it is...

Agree with the others, say what you were doing, please elaborate
Old 06-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never actually heard of anyone being banned for this alone though.
While this is likely true, to me it comes down to this: some people are cool with cheating as long as they don't get caught ... but I'm of the opinion one doesn't need to cheat in a 20-year old elf sim even if you can get away with it.

And to be clear, I have some serious RSI issues (being a programmer/EQ addict will do that to you, plus I shattered my wrist back in high school being dumb). I would LOVE, LOVE to program something with my Steam controller (and I'm sure I could) to automate all the tradeskill clicks, because they are just so hard on my wrists.

But instead of cheating I put on a wrist brace and do them the same way as everyone else, because if I'm not willing to do that what am I doing playing here? I should be programming speed run bots or something instead.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-03-2019 at 01:05 PM..
Old 06-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While this is likely true, to me it comes down to this: some people are cool with cheating as long as they don't get caught ... but I'm of the opinion one doesn't need to cheat in a 20-year old elf sim even if you can get away with it.

And to be clear, I have some serious RSI issues (being a programmer/EQ addict will do that to you, plus I shattered my wrist back in high school being dumb). I would LOVE, LOVE to program something with my Steam controller (and I'm sure I could) to automate all the tradeskill clicks, because they are just so hard on my wrists.

But instead of cheating I put on a wrist brace and do them the same way as everyone else, because if I'm not willing to do that what am I doing playing here? I should be programming speed run bots or something instead.
I'm in agreement with you as far as my personal play style, but I've met more than a few people over the years that love EQ AND love finding all kinds of game-breaking exploits, short cuts, etc. to "beat" the game.

It isn't my cup of tea, but I don't think there is any shortage of folks who genuinely have fun playing "classic" EQ by looking for all kinds of ways to get around its quirky demands.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm in agreement with you as far as my personal play style, but I've met more than a few people over the years that love EQ AND love finding all kinds of game-breaking exploits, short cuts, etc. to "beat" the game.

It isn't my cup of tea, but I don't think there is any shortage of folks who genuinely have fun playing "classic" EQ by looking for all kinds of ways to get around its quirky demands.
In-game I 100% respect (and encourage) that. Hell, I started http://wiki.project1999.com/Advanced_Techniques_Guide to document such cleverness for newer folks.

But when you do it out of game it's cheating, plain and simple. You're saying to everyone else on the server, "screw you, I don't care if you play fair, I'm going to cheat and you can't catch me".

It doesn't matter whether you're right or not about getting caught. Personally I will hope that you do, but whether you do or not I won't play that way (even if it would mean relief for my wrists).

(and by "you" I don't mean you Fastboy, I mean hypothetical cheater X)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-03-2019 at 03:24 PM..
Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 AM
Banned

No Autoclickers!! But you can have gina that will let you know when that mob with the huge spawn variance actually pops and it'll let you know from across the room or wake you up if youre in bed sleeping.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeophi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No Autoclickers!! But you can have gina that will let you know when that mob with the huge spawn variance actually pops and it'll let you know from across the room or wake you up if youre in bed sleeping.
Yeah...this is where I was going with some of my comments. The standby rule from p99 has been simple: Gina, Gamparse, even a map overlay is all okay because "all they do is read your log file" --- easy to understand, easy to know if you are in compliance. good.

autoclicker (razor programmable mouse macro for example) to forage afk or hit kick/backstab for you is against the rules.

Tell me though, which is more game changing/breaking...setting a gina parse macro to tell you a mob is gating or to tell you exactly how many seconds you have left on your mez spell without any effort or someone running a simple click macro to auto kick?

I'm not saying p99 has it wrong, I'm saying I honestly don't know how to completely defend the rule when the allowable 3rd party software is so powerful/useful.

I'm also uncomfortable (when I can't even completely defend the rule) white knighting and saying that playing the game "according to the rules" arbitrarily set is somehow morally superior. The guy using auto backstab isn't an immoral cheater to me that deserves to be banned for the good of the project/community.

I play by the rules because I don't want to get banned and because I respect the people who made them, but I can't go so far as to look down my nose on someone for "playing wrong" morally for running a programmable keyboard to do simple stuff especially when not afk.