Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The one thing the wealthy are doing for us right now, is investing most their money. In this country we have extremely liquid markets. Investment quickly pours into any potentially good idea. Musk -- and ill do a write up why i hate his guts when I'm up for it -- does show how a electric car company goes from nothing to dominating all the old auto companies around the world incredibly fast. It can't happen without these kinds of markets.

You can do big things without markets. In fact most the really big stuff is done by governments. But for typical products and innovation -- you need the private sector strong.

The question is: how do we preserve all these market advantage as much as possible -- while dealing with the kinds of problems this sort of market creates?

I honestly think the answer lies in taxation of personal wealth in the end. The nose will eventually close around the high end tax dodgers. If nothing else because at some point even the rich lose common cause with the .05% or whatever.
That guy got billions in subsidies from The Government tho

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...531-story.html

Quote:
Los Angeles entrepreneur Elon Musk has built a multibillion-dollar fortune running companies that make electric cars, sell solar panels and launch rockets into space.

And he’s built those companies with the help of billions in government subsidies.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:30 PM
Banned

I say that like it needs a few bandaids but it goes a lot deeper than that. Its a great thing when your CEO smoking a joint just lost you 10 grand in 2 days. Things day to day are very fickle and emotional like that. So that's why they tell you not to trade for the short term unless you have a very good idea what you're doing.

Capital in Europe is often "locked in" When capital is locked in and can't be removed from an investment until an agreed upon amount of time. This solves that fickle stock problem, but it makes it much harder for companies that show a lot of promise to raise millions and billions very quickly.

But then there is the problem of the middlemen constantly profiting from shuffling stocks around. Basically a parasite. The only good they do is provide some decent investor information for those that are more long term oriented. But if they didn't exist, I'm sure the work would still get done somehow.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That guy got billions in subsidies from The Government tho

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...531-story.html
Yea -- the government is the entity that often comes in take losses on investing in things that will likely not yield any real money in the near/medium term. But once tesla takes off -- they get a hell of a lot more from people investing in the company that it ever did from the government.

That unbridled capitalism gets channeled into that company allowing him to expand to ludicrous extent. And of course they were not paying the same tax rate everyone else does -- that's what happens when your a giant company in America.
Last edited by JurisDictum; 10-12-2021 at 09:38 PM..
Old 10-12-2021, 09:38 PM
Banned

when you're not allowed to believe that joe biden is the president you're in a cult
Old 10-12-2021, 09:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea -- the government is the entity that often comes in take losses on investing in things that will likely not yield any real money in the near/medium term. But once tesla takes off -- they get a hell of a lot more from people investing in the company that it ever did from the government.

That unbridled capitalism gets channeled into that company allowing him to expand to ludicrous extent. And of course they were not paying the same tax rate everyone else does -- that's what happens when your a giant company in America.
Bro when Big Guv picking winners and losers it's not a true Free Market

Nobody really wants to drive RC Cars around
Old 10-12-2021, 09:42 PM
Banned

You can argue this is all a bad thing though. I mean, how the fuck do we know if the money is being spent well for future profitability? That's not what drives the price of stocks. Not in America -- the underlying assists and balance sheet is like 1/28th of the price of the stock or less.

So now we have money pouring into Tesla -- then the price of the stock gets inflated -- people buy more the price goes up and the cycle continues...

Until its revealed the emperor has no cloths. Then there is a panic sell and bad crash for everyone involved.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

How the hell are we supposed to get to the point where all this trading takes place in a free market without a whole lot of government propping it up?

Unless you define free market as what was going on before the Indians were conquered. Most people are talking a capitalist free market where you can trade unrestricted. The modern version -- anyone can trade at any time paying only tiny slivers of percentage point per trade.

Its inconceivable to have this level of efficiency and tech advancement without centuries of most high functioning governments building such an environment.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:

I’m gonna miss the roar of a good naturally aspirated or turbo blown engine. I don’t think we can even use the term engine for electric, it’s “motor” now

The only thing electrics and hybrids have going for them, other than the gas mileage, is damn they are fast off the line. I follow trucks more than cars, but the F150 Lightning electric has like a 4 second 0-60 time, that’s faster than the Raptor even. I’m assuming due to less weight

But they sound like fucking RC cars! They sound like toys! It’s sad
Old 10-12-2021, 10:04 PM
Banned

I think global warming can be a little hysterical of a topic. Its like the elites decided people will never do anything unless we are about to die -- so they tell everyone they are about to die.

They might be right to do it, but I still don't really believe it. Global warming is a thing that is being accelerated by burning fossil fuels. We need long term solutions for that. Electric cars is part of the puzzel. That's why the government gave out the damn grants.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:13 PM
Planar Protector

Globe, lol