Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Iksar Necro is in no way "pedestrian" once you start charming undead.

Also, necros can do a lot of fun things on raids (including some playmaking duties like trainups, DA engages, etc)...and the "real" epic is simply a drop out of VP.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

The Mage is basically a one-trick pony. But it's a really, really good trick: your pet enables you to DPS, tank and pseudo-heal (by resummoning a new pet). Charming classes can do the same, but with greater restrictions and with much greater risk to themselves. If you think about it from this aspect, the Mage sort of functions as a War-Rogue-Cleric trio by himself. This ability to fill multiple roles is what makes Mages such exceptional duo and trio partners. Any class that can provide CC and/or actual healing capability shines with the Mage.

50+ your damage is really insane, even without Epic. Get the Phinny water staff and position the 60 water pet for backstabs and you will be outdamaging most Rogues. Factor in the added damage from your DS, nukes and nuke clickies and it's just ridiculous how quickly mobs melt.

The question of playing a Mage versus any other class comes down to what style of gameplay you prefer and what you mostly want to do in-game. Solo? Group? Raid? Farm plat? In general, at least among the casters, I'd say if you're more casual a Mage, Necro or Druid would serve very well, the Mage if you like a relaxed playstyle, the Necro if you place a high value on versatility, the Druid if you're ultra casual and just like questing/exploring/nostalgia. If you're really wanting to raid play a Wizard or Cleric. If you're a powergamer/min-maxer who likes a busy playstyle and pushing the envelope solo an Enchanter or Shaman might be up your alley.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:02 PM
Banned

mage is the most boring class in the game after rogue

reroll to necromancer, the most fun caster class
Old 10-15-2021, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

The water pet properly positioned does more dps than the epic pet. Give or take 20% more. It's an easy focus item to get.

In groups mage pets do amazing dps; not far off most rogues/monks without counting your burst or utility. Damage shields are icing on the cake and while dont end up getting you Parse points they do directly equate to what you bring to the table.

It's really not until raid encounters mages fizzle out. At that point it's coth, rod, clicky stave, and DS duty. All great tricks to have.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:12 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
mage is the most boring class in the game after rogue

reroll to necromancer, the most fun caster class
Cough… Clerics…. Cough
Old 10-16-2021, 10:09 AM
Kobold

Play what you enjoy or want since it's a game and your enjoyment that comes first.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

My last answer glossed over some of your questions. I like the mage for its simplicity and efficiency as a dps class outside of level 60+ raid targets. Basically any time you have a CH chain involving more than 2 people a mage is severely hamstrung…otherwise they are amazing. With that efficiency comes a price, they are not flexible whatsoever without a lot of clickies. That makes them a bad spelunking class without a more flexible partner.

There are a few ways for a mage to kill something:

1. Duo/group - with 2 or more you don’t have to the damage the pet. It doesn’t take exp and you split that with the other player(s).

2. Let the pet do all the work: especially in the low levels buffed up with certain droppable weapons a high summon pet can mow through half a dozen npcs without a break. A 20 mage giving a pet an argent defender hits for 60’s. In the mid levels you can use deadwood staves or other 1h’s for a similar but less dramatic effect. Just afk in a safe place while it regens.

3. Kill pet and clean-up: you use a fresh pet with haste and a DS. Pull a NPC (likely the same one you camp for hours for predictability) and let the pet go to work. Ideally you only nuke as much as needed for the pet to barely win. At like 10% health you kill/reclaim your pet and kill with a single spell. The advantage of this is having a fresh pet for the repop. The higher level pets regen 30hp/tick but that’s only 300hps a minute. That’s only 1800hps after 6 minutes and you are left with a badly injured friend in the meantime. Its usually worth a malachite to start over.

4. Race your pet: The first spell is aggro locked at like 50 hate and is a good indicator of how many hps the npc has…if it takes away 20% health you likely only owe two nukes since the DS doesn’t count to anyone’s damage (removes it from the total pool. The only reason to nuke more frequently is if your pet is losing the fight. Pace the spells to avoid peeing aggro.

5. Chain summon/aggro kite: This isn’t broken but it’s semi-broken. A fresh pet will eventually peel off you with taunt or especially with root if using an earth pet. It’s just high risk because it takes a while and you are quite fragile. In a duo or trio you can throw pets at something all day without fear. Even like Phingal will not summon players unless there are no pets or players for it to attack. A cliff golem duo for example if the necro or ench has a charm break they won’t get summoned if a mage or shaman pet is still on the golem. Basically the old “all aggro is transferred” saying is a misnomer but it’s certainly not as good as it was on live.

In short: Pick your battles carefully and approach grinding like an accountant; boring kills > exciting ones. A mage has little means to regen mana or health quickly so calculate your adventures or rely on a flexible partner to keep it all in order.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarsuvius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cough… Clerics…. Cough
clerics are the most chill class in the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-18-2021, 03:06 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for all the responses guys, I appreciate it.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:01 PM
Aviak

So I quit Magician for many of the reasons you mentioned. Other people encouraged me to go on, but my feeling is it really isn't the magician class I enjoyed playing. I am focusing on cleric and druid now and enjoying them immensely. I would suggest you do what you enjoy, but don't let anyone talk you into doing something you don't want to do.
Closed Thread