Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Large Rat

Default Trouble Installing Titanium (Windows 7)

Hey guys,

I've got a desktop and a laptop, both with W7, and for some reason I had no problem installing Titanium on my laptop but on my desktop, the installer starts then immediately gives the error message

Component: Titanium
File Group: EQ Files
File:
Error: Access is denied.

<OK button>

Clicking OK shuts down the installer. I'm on the administrator account for the computer, I've turned User Account Controls settings to minimum (least possible interference from the OS), I've used "Run as administrator" on Install.exe in the disc, and I've tried installing the game to a variety of places, including the C:\ root drive, Programs File, Desktop (said it couldn't go there), and my account folder.

Anybody have any idea how to get past this?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Fire Giant

Definitely seems like a UAC problem.. when turning it all the way down did you restart? You have to restart for it to take hold.

Just an FYI, I run EQ on Windows 7 64bit no problem, and I never have to run anything as an admin. My UAC is turned off, and game is installed in C:\Everquest... I also use my installer (in my signature) to set it up to run on P99.

Are you an administrator on your machine? Is it on a domain? Are there multiple users?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Large Rat

I've turned UAC off and restarted (for clarity, I get no notifications or roadblocks or anything from Windows). I'm the administrator with no other users, although I noticed an ASP.NET Machine Account and Guest account also on the computer (no clue what the .NET account would be, I can remove it if necessary).

Not sure what being on a domain means.

What's confounding is that it worked immediately with no problems on my laptop, which I still have UAC on for.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrivus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've turned UAC off and restarted (for clarity, I get no notifications or roadblocks or anything from Windows). I'm the administrator with no other users, although I noticed an ASP.NET Machine Account and Guest account also on the computer (no clue what the .NET account would be, I can remove it if necessary).

Not sure what being on a domain means.

What's confounding is that it worked immediately with no problems on my laptop, which I still have UAC on for.
Dont delete the ASP.Net account, it will (high chance) screw up Windows.

If you dont know what a domain is, it probably means you are not on one... basically is this your home machine or a work machine? (AKA... personal PC or not?)

Can you post some screenshots of the errors you get?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Large Rat

Here's two screens.

http://imgur.com/a/mme2U

Basically (for those who haven't seen the installer in a while) once you start it up, it throws up a background of Firiona, you get a warning about anti-virus (I've tried all this with mine off, so that's a no-go), another screen, the Terms of Agreement, and finally you choose the install location. Then you get the loading bar in the first picture, which for me sits there and does nothing for a few seconds before the error window pops up (second picture). Closing this or hitting OK will terminate installation.

I have a theory that it's not the destination that's getting access denied but the files on the CD (I'm using a .iso with DT). They're in my default Downloads folder, so I don't think moving them around would change access priveleges.

Anybody have a clue what to try next?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrivus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's two screens.

http://imgur.com/a/mme2U

Basically (for those who haven't seen the installer in a while) once you start it up, it throws up a background of Firiona, you get a warning about anti-virus (I've tried all this with mine off, so that's a no-go), another screen, the Terms of Agreement, and finally you choose the install location. Then you get the loading bar in the first picture, which for me sits there and does nothing for a few seconds before the error window pops up (second picture). Closing this or hitting OK will terminate installation.

I have a theory that it's not the destination that's getting access denied but the files on the CD (I'm using a .iso with DT). They're in my default Downloads folder, so I don't think moving them around would change access priveleges.

Anybody have a clue what to try next?
Just FYI, talk of piracy is strictly forbidden even though its almost impossible to find a copy of Titanium these days.. (i dont make the rules.. so just an FYI.. dont talk about it)..

Now, for the sake of it we're going to assume its an ISO of your copy of Titanium...

After mounting it, copy all the files from the disc (s) into 1 folder on your desktop... then run the installation from there, once installed use the installer in my signature to set it up for Project 1999.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Large Rat

Still no luck. I noticed that even though I didn't have the first disc in, it showed the exact same error message, so it's not even getting to the point that it checks discs.

Once I get Titanium to install, I can take it from there. I've already gotten P1999 running on my laptop without any hitches, it just doesn't want to cooperate on my desktop. To my knowledge both are running on the same settings, after all I installed Windows using the same disc for both, and I haven't made any major alterations to one or the other.

Thanks for your help so far, I'd really like to have the option to play on my desktop computer.
Last edited by Detrivus; 12-12-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Still no luck. I noticed that even though I didn't have the first disc in, it showed the exact same error message, so it's not even getting to the point that it checks discs.

Once I get Titanium to install, I can take it from there. I've already gotten P1999 running on my laptop without any hitches, it just doesn't want to cooperate on my desktop. To my knowledge both are running on the same settings, after all I installed Windows using the same disc for both, and I haven't made any major alterations to one or the other.

Thanks for your help so far, I'd really like to have the option to play on my desktop computer.
You can always just throw the whole install folder from your laptop onto a blank DVD or USB stick and literally drag and drop it to your Desktop PC. EQ doesnt rely on registry entries etc and can be just drag and dropped between PCs... that will allow you to bypass the install process alltogether.

On a side note.. its possible that when you were copying the ISO from the laptop it didnt get copied all the way or got corrupt.. at least if thats what happened those would be the symptoms... I would try re-copying the ISO if you still want to go that router..

I personally havent reinstalled EQ in a year, and Ive done a ton of installations while working on my installer.. i just make a copy of the install folder.
Last edited by Chrushev; 12-12-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Large Rat

That did the trick. Thanks a ton!