Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Almost nobody posting here actually played actively in 1999.
You know what? Okay, fine. I did play about a month after launch on Fennin Ro server, back when fine steel daggers were given to necro pets, magician pets couldn't hold weapons at all even though Absor stated they could and later looked like a tool for his quote when he obviously did zero testing, and this was also back when you could kill your character, leave a corpse, log out, delete your character, create a new character with the same name, and LOOT the corpse you previously left and gain the No Drop items on it. I played when Fish Rolls gave you 2 per combine for fast cash, and recall when town entry guards were buffed to be 100% magic resistant + made into lvl 50's because druids outside of Oggok were killing everything that moved and noob ogre players had nothing to kill their overpulls. Seen it, been there, and had my Kunark expansion show up in a plain brown bag at 1:00 pm pacific time on Launch Day with brand new iksar characters that were created all looked like naked default male human models due to Verant's screw up.

With that out of the way, YES. I do recall that some players on my initial encounters would attack mobs that I had already pulled or were already fighting and would attempt to burn them down so they could get loot. I distinctly recall this happening in Crushbone because goshdang, those belts were just SUCH a huge noob payoff magnet. And YES. If you were in Nektulos and you saw a skeleton holding a staff, every noob would attempt to do over 50% damage to score a cracked staff, regardless of who started the fight with the mob.

What I also recall is that this mindset went to the wayside with players around the time they were in their late teens or early 20's in character levels and were hunting in groups in places like Highpass, Unrest, or venturing into Guk or Mistmoore. Because people were playing more in groups, groups would call out camps and keep mobs killed, make friends, join guilds, etc, and players who were disrupting camps were called out by name or the guild tags of such players were called out and griefing would ensue. So what I am saying is, from my personal limited experience on Fennin Ro, is that the players that would attempt to KS a mob were largely only found either in the very low level bracket, or at the much higher level bracket with open world mobs like Hill Giants when druids were doing their solo thing. I suspect that part of the play nice policy having been put into place was probably because of raiding guilds being stupid but also the massive backlog of reports on Druids sniping things that Guides constantly had to put up with.

So yes, I remember a good portion of what you're talking about. But here's the thing. If it was classic for Everquest to launch without a play nice policy, and then later for the game to evolve into having one ... What on EARTH is the point of repeating that time span of the game evolving into having one going to do to improve the quality of the game, especially one that is offered free and has a server staff made up entirely of volunteers?

And I am STILL completely missing the point on why this absolutely developmentally challenged issue of the play nice policy is being tossed around in a thread dedicated to Hybrid experience point penalties. Get off my lawn and make your own thread dedicated to it!
Old 08-15-2019, 06:00 PM
Planar Protector

Zur almost everyone here does this isnt some off topic hate speech thread section of the forums, its the section for players.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

Wow; we already knew reading comprehension wasn't your strong suite, but damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelek
I also remember always having a HT up to outburst the occasional intrepid person showing up to nail a named as it would pop.
Is not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
quote one person saying "I buy what Zura has been selling"
Everyone here agree with you that you could KS mobs by out-DPSing in the early days of live! There was never any real question whatsoever about that.

Even if there was a PnP back then (and I agree, there wasn't), GMs didn't follow the PnP or any other rule set consistently. Even if they did, most people didn't petition GMs over such things. So you are 100% correct that as a result of all those factors, people did KS each other over mobs in the early days, and hell they did it in the later days too!

But NO ONE, not one single person, in any way agrees that doing that here would be a good thing. Not one. You've written wall after all of text, insulted and/or annoyed a decent fraction of this forum, but not a single person has indicated even the slightest interest in your ideas.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Savvy players would no longer be able to solo Verina Tomb with a late audience standing by, prevented from interfering. That would be add an interesting dynamic to some of those spawns. But then, a lot of sniping would occur elsewhere. Finished the ring war, with only Narandi left to kill? Did the final turn-in for SK epic fight? Inc that other, larger guild and all of its members are full mana.
Triggered mobs are owned by the player who triggered them. That's not a contestable spawn, unless the person who triggered it wipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't even consider playing one of the fringe classes if it came down to DPS instead of claiming and holding a camp, and that's pretty much all I play. With PNP at least, if one of the solo classes wipes, I can step in and attempt to take over where they left off. If/when they come back, they're only chance is to engage me in conversation and offer to duo.
This doesn't make sense. Experienced farmers in this age of the game rarely ever wipe. It's actually pretty much impossible for most item camps pre-Kunark. They would have to go linkdead. You're virtually never going to get a camp on Green99 this way, if the un-classic PNP is kept.

If classic PNP is in the game, then you have the ability to go to the camp and take turns. If pre-PNP is in the game, then you have the ability to get a group and fight for a camp.

Quote:
Classic and trilogy may be two different beasts, but green does not make those distinctions permanent.
I'm not sure what your meaning is here. The pre-PNP era of Everquest was pre-Kunark. Having a Monk twinked with a Peacebringer (or even more, yeesh!) never happened in 1999. You couldn't twink anywhere close to that level, and the best items to twink with were being used by main characters (except for extremely rare exceptions, like a few people moving lower level characters to Plane of Fear before there was a level limit, and then getting gear on that character at a later date and moving them back to Norrath).

I don't think that's an issue anyway, if the pre-PNP ruleset were to be in place for the entirety of Green's timeline (which would be justified by the level of competence the playerbase has now, as compared to all those years ago). No matter what the system, twinked characters are always just going to go burn through exp content and move on, and will choose to not group with non-twinked people if they don't want to. There's plenty of uncontested content for non-twinked people to level on. I personally would limit twinking if I could, but that wouldn't be "classic", so unfortunately won't happen here.

Quote:
Plenty have maintained a list and it works well enough by announcing it in ooc, which goes back to the point of a self-regulating playerbase and having other, more concrete agreements in place such as scout roll and sky rotations.
The playerbase can always decide what it wants to do in a sandbox format. DPS option being available doesn't mean everyone will do it in every situation. Lists don't have any actual power in the current P99 system though. There have been plenty of posts on this forum about people who waited in line forever and the camp was given to someone not on the list. If non-classic rules are in place, then it's nearly always going to be like that on Green99 pre-Velious, and especially pre-Kunark, when there is not as much item camp content to go around.

People need to stop playing this game thinking that the whole point is item farming. That's not the point. You're just being mice in a cage, going round and round mindlessly on the wheel in a box, if that is what you're doing with the game. Stop being so scared about chaotic things happening and not being able to just sit around like a vegetable in a line for something. The point of the game IS the unexpected and dynamic experiences; you're supposed to be existing in a volatile fantasy world.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not one single person, in any way agrees that doing that here would be a good thing. Not one.
LOL, you've again twisted the subject. And yes there are people who agree with it, but I'm not going to go back and quote again just because you can't read. Further, it is IRRELEVANT if people agree or not. Classic. Is. Classic. That is the game. Most of you are arguing because you have no conception of what is was like or could be like. You are taking a fear-based stance only, without realizing how the actual classic gameplay (*gasp*) can be better for the game.

Quote:
GMs didn't follow the PnP or any other rule set consistently. Even if they did, most people didn't petition GMs over such things.
This is totally false. GM's absolutely followed the PnP once it was implemented, and before the PnP, fighting over mobs was absolutely allowed. Some people did petition and they were quickly told there's no rule against it. Like I talked about before, this was discussed on the OFFICIAL EQ MESSAGE BOARDS, and all over other places on the internet. It was formally acknowledged and part of the game, by the game designers and CSR. Players knew about it, and new players were quickly made aware by talking with other players, when those situations arose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So yes, I remember a good portion of what you're talking about. But here's the thing. If it was classic for Everquest to launch without a play nice policy, and then later for the game to evolve into having one ... What on EARTH is the point of repeating that time span of the game evolving into having one going to do to improve the quality of the game, especially one that is offered free and has a server staff made up entirely of volunteers?
Thank you for your recollections about the game back then, further proof for people around here that yes it indeed the game existed as such.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your last part though. It's already been discussed why the pre-PnP era of Everquest was the best era and policy, and why the classic PnP is better than the unclassic one which exists on p99 right now. The point of "repeating it" is because that's exactly p99's stated goal.

Also, I'm not sure why people are getting riled about the discussion of the thread. Conversation changes happen in discussions. It's not like there's anything more to talk about with Hybrid EXP penalties. A forum moderator can separate all of the other discussion into a new thread if they want to, but so far they haven't. It's not *my* job to make a new thread.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:04 PM
Planar Protector

This really deserves its own thread.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:50 PM
Fire Giant

Been saying that for a while but Zuranthium still insists hijacking threads <shrugs> guess he views its as attention to his ideology/ manifesto.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 AM
Banned

me no inteResT in oL WilD weSt KaraNa daYs ZuRanTiNGum!!!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:58 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Wow; we already knew reading comprehension wasn't your strong suite, but damn!

Is not:

Everyone here agree with you that you could KS mobs by out-DPSing in the early days of live! There was never any real question whatsoever about that.

Even if there was a PnP back then (and I agree, there wasn't), GMs didn't follow the PnP or any other rule set consistently. Even if they did, most people didn't petition GMs over such things. So you are 100% correct that as a result of all those factors, people did KS each other over mobs in the early days, and hell they did it in the later days too!

But NO ONE, not one single person, in any way agrees that doing that here would be a good thing. Not one. You've written wall after all of text, insulted and/or annoyed a decent fraction of this forum, but not a single person has indicated even the slightest interest in your ideas.
Correct. I had to look back a few pages to see what led to being quoted.

I in no way agree with the contrarian dude. DPS-racing is fucking stupid. Being prepared for a Stormfeather gank after 18+ hours is not. People are assholes.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:01 AM
Planar Protector

You're calling something stupid because it gets in the way of your brainless pixel farming. The irony. The transparency.

Nobody NEEDS that loot. It's a fucking fabricated superficiality. Nor does anyone deserve to get it simply because they sat on their ass. The point of the game is not supposed to be grinding linearly from one boring camp to the next. That's what destroyed the MMORPG genre. What happiness in life is there in being a top geared toon, when it leads to nothing? What are you going to DO with the gear? Without PvP, or some kind of other purpose, gear is meaningless. And in a good game, you would never be asked to pointlessly grind for gear in the first place.

The real excitement, and thus purpose of playing the game, is supposed to be in what you had to do to obtain the prize (gear). In the memorable story and unexpected twists that came from the journey. In the way you as a player needed to think and adapt, to overcome the obstacle. Needing to compete for the gear makes it memorable. Granted, DPS race is not nearly as exciting as full PvP (when it's decently balanced*), but it's something. It means you never know exactly what you're going to be facing, and you need to plan how to maximize your time and abilities and opportunities. It might mean abandoning the camp if you don't think you have a good chance, and figuring out where else you can succeed in the game world, at that point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snort|eS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
me no inteResT in oL WilD weSt KaraNa daYs ZuRanTiNGum!!!
Karana shits on Innoruuk. By the time the winds of the wilds have finished blowing you to the ground, you will be begging for the sweet release of the storm, to abandon the ways of hate and let the rain fall freely across your face.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:44 AM
Kobold

On Topic: I'm still debating whether to start a troll or an ogre Shadowknight. Deep down I want the sexy troll, but that maximum experience penalty makes me hesitate.

Off Topic: I believe the overwhelming majority (every other person on this thread so far) want a PnP ruleset regardless of how classic it is.

Zuranthium, your thinking by winning this argument it's going to take you back to the days of the old west when MMO was young wild and free. The truth is you can't go back, and the only real freedom you can have is offered in Jesus Chris our Lord and Savior.

Edit:Jesus is the answer.
Last edited by Seungkyu; 08-16-2019 at 04:47 AM..
Closed Thread