Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 02:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It'll run on anything Windows 7 and later.
Still runs fine on this "not dead yet" WinXP box
Old 10-09-2019, 10:25 PM
Sarnak

I was tempted to get that cheap laptop, but realized its storage is small.
I just checked properties of the Sony file to see how large Eq client is... 179g... wtf

How large is yours?
Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 PM
Server GM

~4gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contraceptive View Post
If you can prove God is real to me I might believe you aren't just a virgin that has been given fake internet powers that you over-wield on an imaginary game. Also, don't forget to take contraceptive, the world doesn't need any more yous. Ah who the hell am I kidding you're not reproducing you're too busy blanket banning people on a 20 year old elf simulator.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and really for just about everything except the newest games ... a cheap laptop, partnered with 1-2 monitors (not too cheap if you want two monitors) and a keyboard/mouse, gives you everything a desktop can ... plus you can take it with you.
I got an Acer Helios 300 two years ago and that GTX 1060 card has kept me going at ultra settings for everything I play at really decent frame rates. And it’s still a champ! It’s not a budget laptop but it’s been the best computing money I ever spent. So glad I went with that instead of trying to roll my own again.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 PM
Sarnak

Is there a file checker, Landris? Wondering if I have trash that needs disposed of.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got an Acer Helios 300 two years ago and that GTX 1060 card has kept me going at ultra settings for everything I play at really decent frame rates. And it’s still a champ! It’s not a budget laptop but it’s been the best computing money I ever spent. So glad I went with that instead of trying to roll my own again.
I'm in the market for a new PC (my motherboard died on my old one), and I'm currently playing on a very old macbook through boot camp.

Do you have any suggestions on what kind of gaming laptop you guys like or have heard good things about? I did read about the Acer Helios 300. I'm looking to spend about $1kish, and I have monitors and accoutrements already.

I was initially looking at desktop PCs, but now I'm thinking about a laptop. Is there any reason to go desktop now a days?
Old 10-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Go to Amazon, check the SSD box, and pick one you like. If you want to drive multiple monitors (desktop-style) off of it, get one with an extra/better graphics card (not just the on-board).

CPU/RAM/Hard Drive Space all matter for the same reasons they matter on any computer, but our old game will run fine pretty much regardless of what those specs are. Everything else (eg. size) comes down to your preference.

Oh and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglepuss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was initially looking at desktop PCs, but now I'm thinking about a laptop. Is there any reason to go desktop now a days?
No, not really, unless you're in to cutting edge PC gaming or something. If you like to play (say) 3D shooters or racing games, then desktops can give you better hardware for less money. The same is true if you're into digital animation, bitcoin mining, or anything else hardware-intensive.

But for normal people, laptops are plenty good, even pretty cheap ones.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-11-2019 at 04:21 PM..