Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:43 AM
Kobold

Default How strong a Shaman that never gets Torpor?

I've read that in Kunark, Shamans are like the best soloer / farmers. I was wondering, is that true because of Torpor, or other reasons?

I will likely never get Torpor, even if I did, I would probably sell it for like 100k-500k plat and use that $$ to try out other characters haha.

Considering that... how strong is a Shaman for solo leveling and solo farming, if they never plan to get Torpor? In that situation, would it just be better play a Druid or Necromancer?
Old 07-14-2020, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

Torpor is an endless supply of mana. the spells mana cost is low, its healing capacity is very high. A shaman with torpor can solo Ayllish in west wastes for example. without torpor it can't be done.

If you are lucky enough to win a torpor drop, you will make that money farming other stuff many times over. On blue, my shaman was 60 for over a year before i broke down and bought torpor. It was like I had a new, extremely OP Class. 3 years later I still kick myself for not having bought torpor the day I dinged 60.

What you read is correct, with torpor, shaman can solo kill mobs that enchanters dream about.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:54 AM
Planar Protector

If you are pretty sure you won't get torpor. certainly avoid wasting time on a shaman if your only interest is farming stuff.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Server GM

pretty weak
Old 07-14-2020, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Do you LIKE farming shit and selling it or do you just like the idea of having lots of plat? The reality of actually going out and doing the thing is different in practice than in theory. Your post makes it sound like you don't want to be a shaman farming shit to sell, you just want money to gear alts because that's the fun part to you. Play what you enjoy and let the rest fall into place on its own.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Its bad enough that I refused to play my shaman at lvl 59 until I had one banked...nothing is more painful then folks asking you to do something and they say "you have torpor, right?"

Basically, torpor changes how you play...Shaman without torpor can still do lots of stuff, but a torpor shaman is practically a different class.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

Any guess on how much torpor is going to cost in EC?
Old 07-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Kobold

100k is my guess
Old 07-14-2020, 05:13 PM
Banned

Hey, so I've always wondered... How do you carry 100k+ plat anyway.... I've had like maybe 10k and it was a bitch to walk to the bank...
Old 07-14-2020, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

The best soloer is a tough single title to give to a class. A shaman can extraoridinaraly slowly solo some tough monsters that enchanters can't take due to no charmable mobs.

An enchanter of course (while everyone will say its totally a difficult class) will brainlessly solo more content then anything, with very little skill required and very little money investment. Its probably the actual best soloist among all measures across the board, but it can't do everything everyone else can.

A necromancer can in a time trial probably solo the most big stuff quickest.

A bard can kill swarms of 25 things fastest though.

There's a solo challenge guide but I dont know if it made its way to green. That's a nice well rounded metric, but mostly caters to Shaman and Enchanters style.

If you want to mindlessly kill most content in the game without a challenge, thats an Enchanter. Charm is just too easy to do.