Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 12:18 AM
Fire Giant

Sneak Allowed unfettered movement in VP on my cleric.

Sneak Assisted me on countless CR’s when the rest of my group were lazy.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:20 AM
Planar Protector

I've been able to take advantage of Potatus's Sneak to sneak into/around/out of Sol B and to get around hostile city NPCs. I also use it to safely stand in line of sight so I can pull from a distance with a bowshot, disengage Sneak, and run back to camp without getting hit. I don't think it's gamebreaking, but I do use it frequently. Halfling warrior, 54 atm.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been able to take advantage of Potatus's Sneak to sneak into/around/out of Sol B and to get around hostile city NPCs. I also use it to safely stand in line of sight so I can pull from a distance with a bowshot, disengage Sneak, and run back to camp without getting hit. I don't think it's gamebreaking, but I do use it frequently. Halfling warrior, 54 atm.
The idea of someone sneaking around in full plate is hilarious!

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 02-02-2021, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

If getsome story is legit than its pretty cool./

I have never really got any benefit from sneak but it isn't why I chose halfling.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

I use hide/bindwound on my halfling war all the time...there are spots I solo that it wouldn't work otherwise.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:28 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I made my Druid and Cleric both Halflings specifically because of the racial Hide/Sneak (and of course the +5% XP bonus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). On paper all that seemed to give Halflings the best racial benefits for both classes. However, in practice I almost never use either skill on either character.

Sneak I probably could use to vendor in certain places ... but I never think to do so; I just port somewhere I can sell on my Druid, or wait and sell later on my Cleric. And of course my Druid can just use Invis, and my Cleric can use Invis items. Maybe if I played a Rogue to a decent level I'd be more used to it, and so take advantage of it more? But for me Sneak wound up never getting used.

Hide however I did use ... very rarely. It's perfect for when you are are soloing, and don't want to have to find an "AFK safe spot". You can just Hide, /con something to make sure it worked, and then go AFK peacefully.
hide is useful when charm kiting as a druid cause it lets you break charm.

It's also helpful if you can't invis and need to avoid aggro from a hostile for one reason or another. but as mnetioned by others, the skill cap of 50 makes it not entirely reliable and often requires multiple attempts.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:21 AM
Aviak

Sneak has several solid applications but ultimately not game changing to the l degree to be a halfling
Old 02-03-2021, 05:03 AM
Fire Giant

Sneak is just a convenience thing for getting around/vendoring/questing at this point.

It's only 50 skill so it's kinda hard to get a sense for the power of sneak on a halfling, but it's useful.

Hide also, but the convenience is much more obvious for classes that can't invis.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hide is useful when charm kiting as a druid cause it lets you break charm.
Not really ... or at least not once your server gets to Kunark. Why? When charm fighting you need to break the charm now, not "when Hide feels like working". If you try to Hide and it doesn't break your charm, either your pet kills the mob and you lose half its XP ... or your pet dies instead, and you lose 100% of its XP.

In short, all Hide offers a charmer is a decent chance of losing XP on every charm fight. You're better off casting Invis on yourself, because even if it's slower at least you know for certain that it will break charm, and you can try and time your casts accordingly.

But the real answer is that if you're charm fighting, you want an instant-cast Invis item, like the Circlet (Necros) or Goblin Ring (everyone else).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 02-03-2021 at 12:16 PM..
Old 02-08-2021, 03:55 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not really ... or at least not once your server gets to Kunark. Why? When charm fighting you need to break the charm now, not "when Hide feels like working". If you try to Hide and it doesn't break your charm, either your pet kills the mob and you lose half its XP ... or your pet dies instead, and you lose 100% of its XP.

In short, all Hide offers a charmer is a decent chance of losing XP on every charm fight. You're better off casting Invis on yourself, because even if it's slower at least you know for certain that it will break charm, and you can try and time your casts accordingly.

But the real answer is that if you're charm fighting, you want an instant-cast Invis item, like the Circlet (Necros) or Goblin Ring (everyone else).
I usually don't break charm mid combat. I get the XP from the uncharmed mob and then if the charmed mob is low enough (15% or less) I break charm in between pulls.

So yeah, it sitll works for breaking charm.
Closed Thread