Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 01:28 AM
Planar Protector

Default Ranger question

My bro and I are considering making our next round of alts #7 and 8 chars (Shaman, mage, enc, Sk, cleric, Druid)
He is leaning towards rogue.. I was kinda leaning towards ranger and to lesser extent necro, monk. I have 0 experience with ranger class. Would ranger/rogue be good duo? And is ranger class fun to play? I’d be dropping prolly around 75-100k into the ranger. Thanks for info.

We would mostly just be duoing dungeons.
Last edited by ScottBerta; 03-29-2021 at 01:36 AM..
Old 03-29-2021, 01:48 AM
Fire Giant

Ranger is a very fun class to play, I highly recommend it, especially with that amount of money put into it. Ranger/rogue can definitely work, I guess any class combo can technically work if you have a fungi, but for harder mobs you can snare and bow kite while the rogue follows the mob and backstabs (you can hold agro easy between snare and flame lick).
Old 03-29-2021, 01:53 AM
Sarnak

I played a ranger/rogue duo with my bro until he got bored of the rogue. My plan was to get a good bow, snare and and use flame lick to get aggro and I would alternate bow kite / tank while he backstabs. It worked out really well until he got bored, but that is a strategy that wouldn't work as well in dungeons. Honestly with that budget I'd just buy a fungi and some cheap weapons and you'd be able to tank in dungeons fine for the first 30 levels.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:53 AM
Sarnak

Not as efficient as ranger and say Shaman, but you can.make it work especially with a fungi. Look for animal mobs you can fear kite, super fast with a rogue (cazic, solb bats etc)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:06 AM
Planar Protector

Probubly could flame lick kite your way into the 50's just traveilng the land slashing and stabbing things, kind of cool duo in a lore kind of way and not great not terrible exp grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxarcule [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played a ranger/rogue duo with my bro until he got bored of the rogue. My plan was to get a good bow, snare and and use flame lick to get aggro and I would alternate bow kite / tank while he backstabs. It worked out really well until he got bored, but that is a strategy that wouldn't work as well in dungeons. Honestly with that budget I'd just buy a fungi and some cheap weapons and you'd be able to tank in dungeons fine for the first 30 levels.
yea this sounds kinda cool to me
Old 03-29-2021, 03:05 AM
Fire Giant

With fungi you can probably just face tank stuff for a long while before you need fear kite or aggro kite, but those options are there when you need them. If the rogue is well geared as well, you should be able to just melt mobs. As for dungeons, Ranger is really not a great indoor class, but it's a good time outdoors.

I enjoy my ranger. Flame lick is pretty amazing aggro, way better than Disease Cloud for instance, which makes you a great group tank, esp. if you're over-geared. With track, sow and harmony you're and awesome puller outdoors as well. Lastly, you've got a good suite of utility in root, snare, lev, invis, eb, etc. Like druid, it's a good derp around the world class.

I've also made a good chunk of change off Ranger camps like QM, AC, Hunter/Forager, etc. Definitely useful to have a tracker around.

I also play a monk which is like faceroll easy mode melee with Fungi. Monks will be better indoors, but also less dynamic imho. Keeping aggro also might be an issue duoing with a rogue. I could see it being a fun challenge to duo 2 pure melees, though I wouldn't try if you're both not twinked pretty well and know what you're doing.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:10 AM
Planar Protector

Also worth noting that the ranger epic swords are like, really cool.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

First off, let me just say Rangers are an awesome twink class. On day one of Green they are ... how to put this delicately ... probably not the most powerful option. But on Blue, with a Fungi, Woodsman staff, and a haste cloak (plus a bunch of 10-dose SoW potions, so that you can survive until 30 when you can cast it yourself) the class is a ton of fun to play.

As for Ranger/Rogue, I've never tried it, but I think it would make an amazing combo for one simple reason. Once you get past the "my Fungi makes me a tank" phase as a Ranger (and get to Velious if you're on Green), your next step in soloing is to rely heavily on a single level 22 spell: Panic Animal.

As long as you stick to animals and snare everything, this spell lets you take virtually no damage, because you keep the mob running away the entire time you fight. And hey, wouldn't a class that does tons of extra damage backstabbing make an excellent partner for a class that spends the whole fight with the mob's back turned?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-29-2021 at 11:04 AM..
Old 03-29-2021, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Underestimated duo. Ranger is way fun to play. Go Tunare if you care about Helm of the Tracker. Also pretty much guaranteed offhand Epic when you are appropriate level
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 03-29-2021, 01:09 PM
Sarnak

As many have said, ranger is a very fun class to play. Even on a fresh server/untwinked. People knock them because they aren't the best at one thing like tanking or healing or dpsing (other than speedbumping) so they lack a raid role that stacks well with multiple rangers. The sheer amount of utility they bring as a melee class is tons of fun though.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Closed Thread