Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 07:36 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...To be more classic, P99 would need players from 1999 more than anything.
Amen to that. We were all just havin a good time and trying to figure it all out. Can't replicate that part of the experience. I still enjoy the hell out of it tho. Great community.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:23 AM
Orc

why does everyone have such a boner for "classic?"
Old 01-25-2021, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice04 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good question. Not like we're on a classic-EQ related forum.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

windows 98

dell dimension XPS

Pentium III 750mhz

Ati Radeon 128mb

768mb ram

56k modem

If you're playing p99 on anything better than the above setup, NOT CLASSIC.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 for whatever reason seems to take a stance that end game raiding IS the point of EQ. However, for a lot of players like myself the group/solo mechanics and the social atmosphere of having lots of players at all levels is what made it enjoyable. I don't like P99 where everyone you meet seems to have a 50+ alt and the whole game ends up focused on raiding due to the fast exp rates.
You go raiding so you can get gear which doesn't make any difference in the raid so you can go raiding so you can get more gear which doesn't make any difference in the raid. If you're not level 60 then you go raiding so you can get gear which won't help you level faster so you can go on raids so you can get gear which won't make any difference in the raid.

This is because grouping and raiding are both trivial and safe. You won't increase your xp rate with super gear because everyone is already min/maxing the pull rate and the raid won't get any easier with your super gear either because it's already trivial with the overwhelming numbers and the paint-by-numbers style.

The P99 end-game is a victim of it's own design. It never changes but the players acquire more information on how to complete it. It never becomes more demanding or challenging. It's been documented, photographed, dissected, examined, taken apart and studied.

The only challenges left in this game are self-directed. If you don't come up with something to make it fun for you and your friends, a great deal of disappointment and boredom awaits for you at the top.

Edit: if you ask me to define "classic" I'm going to use words like "mysterious", "unknown" and "challenging". Classic is a feeling, not mechanics.
Last edited by BlackBellamy; 01-25-2021 at 11:27 AM..
Old 01-25-2021, 11:44 AM
Sarnak

If you aren't happy, like I was, do like I did, and leave.

Current iteration of p1999 green is neither classic nor fun. I do not see its merit and left.

Feels good.

The /list mechanic is probably the biggest example of "how do we advantage neckbeards that share accounts" I've ever seen. That literally pushed people to share accounts, because staying awake for extended periods isn't just unhealthy, its not even a possibility for those with real lives.

Game is starting to look like a video game version of a "who can shoot up the most meth" contest, while the server has some very, very strong competitors, I can't imagine sane people trying to compete.
Last edited by derpcake2; 01-25-2021 at 11:49 AM..
Old 01-25-2021, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On topic though - people didn't charm back then because we all sucked at the game badly back then + terrible hardware we were playing on.

Spell was all right. Players weren't.

To be more classic, P99 would need players from 1999 more than anything.
Seriously, it wasn't just that players were idiot back then, and it wasn't (just) that some people's network connections sucked.

Again, there's a willful mind blindness here, where everyone just dismisses how incredibly different Enchanters were on live, by turning their brains off and repeating "players were dumb" and "connections sucked". Nevermind that live had something like 20x more players than we have here, all experimenting with how to play their class ... and the vast majority coming to the conclusion that the best way for them to level was to group. Nevermind that tons of Enchanters did work on their Charisma (if only because no one understood how stats worked ... but the character creation boxed text told them Charisma was important!)

And even if it was the connection: we added an "unclassic" mob AoE limit to reflect that here. To repeat: we did something unclassic to make things more classic overall. If you think Enchanter charming ism't classic here, because of internet connections ... the way Bard charming wasn't classic, because of internet connections ... then the logical thing to do would be to bring back classic somehow.

But I think it was more than that. I think charm resists, or some other hard-to-emulate-exactly mechanic, were worse on live. But again, 11+ years of ignoring how unclassic Enchanters are makes me think the devs are just as happy with unclassic easy-solo Enchanters as everyone else.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 01-25-2021 at 11:59 AM..
Old 01-25-2021, 12:38 PM
Server GM

Nerf the hole by 75%? ok
Old 01-25-2021, 01:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice04 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eff those Luclin character models. Man, eff those big!
Old 01-25-2021, 01:30 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by galach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nerf the hole by 75%? ok
Don't you even think about it! Please! This is a great zone to get that Dungeon Crawl feel that people should have in EQ. I'll ask you to disregard the "classic purists" and to direct them to Green when they want something close to original EQ.

When the Hole launched on live, it saw action for maybe a week, tops. Then it was forgotten, with the exception of people getting their epic pieces. I remind people that their monthly subscription bills paid for that content, why not use it?

Nope. "Classic purists" would rather go to Sebilis, where the zone was constantly camped by 50% or so. Fun fact, you were not dungeon crawling there. You would be zoning in to a place where you could walk from the entrance down to juggs because multiple group camps were keeping respawns dead. That's not an adventure.

I applaud the P99 staff for making ZEM changes to bring adventurers back to dead zones. Before my hiatus, I had friends joining me to explore and level in Xorb, Runnyeye, and Splitpaw! The Hole turned out to be one of the most entertaining zones for a crawl that EQ could offer. One of the biggest complaints in the MMORPG genre is that leveling feels like a structured theme park ride. I've found "classic purists" to be the worst offenders of this in the fact that even if ZEMs were left to their classic states, they'd still choose the zones with the best XP to level in. Coincidentally, those zones also happen to be places of solid loot, such as Sebilis, KC, and such. The classic experience these players want is the lazy inconvenience of having an XP/loot camp for the 16 hours they play while watching repeats of the Springer show.

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!
Closed Thread