Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 05:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That table doesn't even have HP values, it isn't complete and should be looked at in that light.

Despite this you've managed to get necro pets above mage pets when it comes to DPS.

Good job. Of course this was lobbied for behind the scenes, can't have a public discussion while presenting selective and incomplete evidence.

The data you linked is from august 2002, aka. long after velious launch. This list of data is from februari 2001, a lot closer to the current green timeframe. This has higher max hit numbers.

Why did you choose to link out of era evidence, with more relevant data being present (but not supporting your case)?

Even assuming that site is correct, which it gives little reason to do, you seem to have nit-picked your evidence to further your personal goals.
Last edited by derpcake2; 05-08-2021 at 05:48 AM..
Old 05-08-2021, 06:05 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You do realise the mage can group with the enchanter to benefit from the same buffs? As the base mage pet is better than the enc, the force multiplier of enchanter buffs is far more effective for the mage.
I do, but I was just trying to put pet power in perspective

Magicians have their pet and nukes. Period

Enchanters have pets too plus
Root
Mez
Slow
Haste
Charm
Runes
Hp/ Stat temp buffs
Fear
Nukes
Debuffs

I most probably forgot some stuff in that list

So my question is, do you find it fair for magicians to get their one and only tool nerfed to be on par with Enchanters.

Mage epic pet got a nerf a couple months ago, now all regular pets do? Are Mages so incredibly powerful their ability to solo mobs nedded to be reduced this way?

And please, don't give me the classic excuse we both know this is BS.
Or if you want to go that way, fine with me, but then I demand a 8 hour repop timer on Magi P'Tasa in PoH as he should be, and was on Live.

May be all the Mages waiting on that one last stupid drop will be able to get their epic
Old 05-08-2021, 06:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The data you linked is from august 2002, aka. long after velious launch. This list of data is from februari 2001, a lot closer to the current green timeframe. This has higher max hit numbers.

Why did you choose to link out of era evidence, with more relevant data being present (but not supporting your case)?
Table was probably corrected as the months went on, the later version is more complete so I linked to it.

But it's not the only point of reference for this, if that's what you're thinking.

Here's a post from just after Kunark release:

Quote:
posted 05-30-2000 03:03 AM

I saw a post from a person saying thet hit lev 57 and the pet was not good, only hitting for max 62 with a staff of elemental mastery, in other words one level above the 51 pet.

Don't know if it was true.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001016...ML/001647.html
60dmg + staff = 62dmg for 57 earth, it agrees with the site above.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:08 AM
Planar Protector

This ninja nerf makes me feel great to no longer actively play on P99.

I don't even play a mage, but the sheer fact that such a drastic change to a class has not been debated publicly beforehand means several things:

- Other similar changes will probably follow sooner or later as behind-the-scenes lobbying for nerfs seems now to be the trend on P99

- One's time investment on P99 is no longer as safe as we got into the habit of thinking. Your favorite character can become barely useful overnight, with no warning, and even no post-factum announcement (can there be a way to show more carelessness about players' feeling?)

- There's little doubt that whoever is behind this nerf is trying hard to get other nerfs in - channelling, enchanters, basically all casters. Then it will be the turn of the monks, or whatever.

Get on with your lives, guys. Stop wasting years of your lives on something that can be taken away from you tomorrow and nobody will care about your feelings.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarsuvius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Magicians have their pet and nukes. Period
Some magicians have friends too. The game is designed for classes to support each other. It’s not perfectly balanced. Melee have no pet, no nukes, generally don’t quad for 58 but they do fine.

If you think the nerf is not classic start/contribute to a bug thread. Somethings are easier to change than others, and many needed classic changes haven’t gained the inertia or designer attention yet.

I do hope magi in hate is made as classic as possible, but fixing the melee damage of a commonly used pet probably should be triaged higher than a rarely completed epic any way.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 05-08-2021 at 07:22 AM..
Old 05-08-2021, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

They could have buffed the pets instead and you'd still end up primarily a vending machine and coth bot in Velious. Sorry your reign of cheese strats is coming to an end on green, now go summon some rods or park on poop mtn like a good boy.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:39 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry your reign of cheese strats is coming to an end on green, now go summon some rods or park on poop mtn like a good boy.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
such a drastic change to a class has not been debated publicly beforehand means several things:
Please name one thing that was debated publicly beforehand.

I mean idk I'm only half-facetious. Like I've been on these forums for a long ass time and I've never seen a dev post asking for community input regarding class or balance changes.

So if this mage change is a departure from the norm where now we need to extrapolate things I'd like to know if the norm was the norm.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:08 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you think the nerf is not classic start/contribute to a bug thread.
It's already been stated a few times in this thread, but we do follow and participate in the bug threads, and would rather see change like this result from that process. We've seen both that it's easy to misinterpret old evidence and that some of the people most invested in getting changes made have an agenda based on their perception of game balance rather than emulating classic mechanics.

Edit: if the devs did it on their own initiative, that's not what would bother me. It's the prospect of back channel balance advocacy.
Last edited by Vivitron; 05-08-2021 at 10:11 AM..
Old 05-08-2021, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Reroll bandana
Closed Thread