Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Masks get me called ma'am and she a few years earlier than I'd be able to afford face fixing surgery, so I'm kinda ok with it. I got a 96% on my psych nursing final with a mask on, so it can't be killing too many brain cells. The people, myself included, wearing n95s in the operating room seemed to be doing ok. Those masks suck though, fucking hurt your face. Ofc the mask you're bitching about probably isn't one of those, is it?
Old 05-11-2021, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Masks get me called ma'am and she a few years earlier than I'd be able to afford face fixing surgery, so I'm kinda ok with it. I got a 96% on my psych nursing final with a mask on, so it can't be killing too many brain cells. The people, myself included, wearing n95s in the operating room seemed to be doing ok. Those masks suck though, fucking hurt your face. Ofc the mask you're bitching about probably isn't one of those, is it?
The vast majority of masks people are wearing are not N95

99.999999% of all the masks people are wearing are store bought or cloth masks. Most people nowadays are even leaving their noses exposed. Most of these masks have not been replaced for months, because it's obvious people are only wearing them in public because of the mandates, not because of any health concerns. It's all just an illusion.

What annoys me is that there is this army of lefties though, preaching from a pulpit that if you don't wear a mask in public you are killing grandma (as if they care about people - give me a break) pretending like they do something (when they don't) and disguising their true motive which is the power to coerce people (through fear) into giving into their demands.

The problem is data is slowly starting to roll out and it turns out outside exposure and transmission is basically zero. I'll even link a NYT article (with insane spin) because ironies

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/b...e=articleShare

These demands are not going to stop with Covid. They are going to monkey branch into other things (See Global Warming) and you're going to see retards like Ennewi pasting Wikipedia links smugly explaining to people why they have to pay insane energy/fuel prices because some guy said so in an article somewhere. It's stupid.

I haven't even gone into the economic damage the lockdowns/mask mandates have caused. Amazon/Walmart aren't hurting though.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

I'm actually worried about the environmental damage of masks more than anything. Poor sea turtles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-11-2021, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm actually worried about the environmental damage of masks more than anything. Poor sea turtles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You bring up a good point and yes I've thought about this too

Go to your local grocery store parking lot and there are discarded masks all over the place littering the ground
Old 05-11-2021, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

I searched through all the pre-velious masks for all classes on https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Face

Sorting for both hp and stamina, I couldn't find a single mask that lowered health.

Myth: Busted!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-11-2021, 12:53 PM
Banned

This is the important part:
The objective was to search for documented adverse effects and risks of different types of mouth–nose-covering masks. Of interest here were, on the one hand, readymade and self-manufactured fabric masks, including so-called community masks and, on the other hand medical, surgical and N95 masks (FFP2 masks).

So they are mixing the results of home made garbage masks, made of shirts n shit, with professionally made masks for an specific purpose. Not synthetics designed for the job, just fabrics.

Yeah, you gonna get stupid side effects when you wrap a sweater around your mouth and nose. Congrats. You just found out you cant put a home made mask made of old sheets over your face and not suffocate a bit.

Why didnt they just do a study using N95 masks and some control groups?? Oh that wouldnt bring the results you want. Best to just search for only negative effects you find not associated with N95 masks, stack the deck with those problems, then include N95's.

It's not wrong, just stupid. Like saying "sharks will kill you always" then attributing the behavior of bull sharks to nurse sharks. They are two different things.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Masks get me called ma'am and she a few years earlier than I'd be able to afford face fixing surgery, so I'm kinda ok with it. I got a 96% on my psych nursing final with a mask on, so it can't be killing too many brain cells.
Remember that a p value is the likelihood that the observation is noise, not the magnitude of the change. In other words, this paper does not say 'Everyone who puts on a mask instantly turns into a chimpanzee with a heart attack'. It says that wearing masks reduces the amount of oxygen in the body when then impacts your physical and mental performance negatively. As BlackBellamy says, it is fucking obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What annoys me is that there is this army of lefties though, preaching from a pulpit that if you don't wear a mask in public you are killing grandma (as if they care about people - give me a break) pretending like they do something (when they don't) and disguising their true motive which is the power to coerce people (through fear) into giving into their demands.
Yes, exactly. All progressive points boil down to '... and that's why I need to be in charge regardless of our relative ability'. And that's why the forum battles here are so vicious: it's about being able to call other people idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous Huxley
The surest way to work up a crusade in favor of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone. To be able to destroy with good conscience, to be able to behave badly and call your bad behavior 'righteous indignation' — this is the height of psychological luxury, the most delicious of moral treats.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydoo II [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why didnt they just do a study using N95 masks and some control groups?? Oh that wouldnt bring the results you want. Best to just search for only negative effects you find not associated with N95 masks, stack the deck with those problems, then include N95's.
No one is wearing N95s, so my quotes are for normal masks (unless I screwed up). The quoted paper is a survey paper that reports the results of 60 something separate studies, and I simply skipped the results for N95s as virtually no one is wearing one anyway, so I felt the comparison would be unfair, because N95s restrict your breathing more than cloth masks, not less. If you read the paper, the people wearing N95s suffered the worst.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:11 PM
Banned

A few people have suffered cardiac arrests and died while attempting to exercise in masks. This was happening in China long before COVID. This is due to many of China's citizens choosing to wear masks outside due to China's pollution problems in big cities

Most recently it happened to a high school student in Oregon, who was forced to wear a mask while RUNNING A RACE (so stupid) https://www.westernjournal.com/hs-ru...mask-mandates/ (although she didn't die). I wonder what would be more difficult, running an 800m dash wearing a mask or running it while attempting to smoke a cigarette?

If that was an outside event, forcing a healthy high school student to wear a mask during a race is just about the stupidest thing I've heard this year. But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming it was an inside event

Gyms in our state had a mask mandate for a full year. It makes some sense, considering the gym is most likely where I caught COVID in July of 2020. Good thing I didn't pass it to anyone vulnerable and it was a joke a get over because I'm not old or fat. I actually got used to the mask mandate however, after trying many different types I found the best one to be those N95 ones with the plastic cup piece, I'd leave the bottom strap undone and work out with just the top strap on. The only time I would really struggle with wearing a mask was leg day. After a set of lunges, squats, or deadlifts, I would be winded and just could not catch my breath with the mask on. This is where that N95 one comes in handy. I'd just pull the bottom strap out and it would slightly lift the lower part of the mask. I could breathe more freely, but my breath was still directed straight down and not out, because the mask was still 80% covering my face

After the state lifted mandatory masking (Our COVID rates went from 5,000 new/day to 600 new/day following vaccines), almost no one continued to wear masks at the gym. I did the first day just to be polite (plus I don't like to bring negative attention to myself by being "THAT GUY" who's the only person in a particular place not following the rules), but quickly took it off when I noticed no one else was bothering. Even older people, I'm assuming it's because they are vaccinated

Anyway TLDR: the idea of working out in a mask is pretty ridiculous from a health perspective, although it seems to be possible for non-cardio exercises
Last edited by unsunghero; 05-11-2021 at 01:16 PM..
Old 05-11-2021, 01:25 PM
Banned

To say that it isnt slanted to make n95 masks look bad would just be wrong though. Why would they even include those masks at all?? Seems like they just wanted to find a way to say "masks bad". Why would you even include two things so dissimilar?? A home made shirt around your mouth and a professionally made mask from a company with years of feed back and experience are just not the same. Then to put them both in the same group, as if they were equals, its not to make them look good. The whole "paper" which is just an amalgamation of other papers, pretty much just cherry picking, quote mining. It only includes the worst results.

Like yea, it may be correct, but i could do that too with anything. 50 reasons why oranges kill you, then just include "home made orange killing machines" and that list fills out pretty quickly and with a lot of bad shit happening.

Oh and if anyone wants to split hairs on my blocking your mouth hole a few percent is bad, we can do that but its like.. everyone knows what a restrictor plate is. Some how, the cars still work. Yeah they not making 800 hp but they making 600 comfortably.
Closed Thread