Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 09:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke68 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree with your assessment of why Rogues and Warriors get xp bonuses and the other classes get penalties.
You might disagree, but you're arguing with the game itself, not with me. My comments are based on the original character creation UI if you remember it. Classes like war/rogue were explicitly listed as low difficulty right there in-game, while something like a shadow knight was listed as high difficulty.

jibartik: 989/Verant didn't design absolutely everything from scratch. A good deal of what became EQ was, shall we say "borrowed" from MUDS which existed at the time. EQ is in many ways simply an early 90's MUD with a graphics engine pasted on top.

Danth
Old 09-15-2019, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoraliser [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troll SK is the worst in classic right?
Then Iksar SK in kunark?
The two are the same. Troll/Iksar both get the highest (20%) racial penalty because they have the "best" (by classic standards) racial power: regeneration. The Iksar's AC bonus (vs. the Troll) is "balanced" by the Iksar's inability to wear plate (... until Velious).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You might disagree, but you're arguing with the game itself, not with me. My comments are based on the original character creation UI if you remember it. Classes like war/rogue were explicitly listed as low difficulty right there in-game, while something like a shadow knight was listed as high difficulty.

jibartik: 989/Verant didn't design absolutely everything from scratch. A good deal of what became EQ was, shall we say "borrowed" from MUDS which existed at the time. EQ is in many ways simply an early 90's MUD with a graphics engine pasted on top.

Danth
Well, in this case your wrapping a secondary statement in a separate truth. It's true your religion and class will dictate what difficulty rating you get (Dark elf Warrior gets medium), but nowhere did it state that's why it has any effect on any experience penalties. The penalties weren't actually spelled out in game at all. I'm not saying you're wrong, im just saying there's no evidence what your saying is the reason.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

I'd have to link old usenet and webforum discussion. Too much effort if those old boards even exist anymore. Let's just agree that it doesn't matter in the here-and-now why it is how it is, only that it'll be that way on Green.

Danth
Old 09-15-2019, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd have to link old usenet and webforum discussion. Too much effort if those old boards even exist anymore. Let's just agree that it doesn't matter in the here-and-now why it is how it is, only that it'll be that way on Green.

Danth
you damn right and im gonna be a ranger too for some rediculous reason lel
Old 09-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Sarnak

Danth I didn't mean to be argumentative and appreciate you laying out those original penalties so succinctly. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I was just giving my personal take which is completely unsupported by anything other than speculation and conjecture.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke68 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Danth I didn't mean to be argumentative and appreciate you laying out those original penalties so succinctly. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I was just giving my personal take which is completely unsupported by anything other than speculation and conjecture.
Oh, don't be apologizing or anything, if I came across as aggressive or something you have my own "my bad, that's not how I meant it." I like forum discussion and seeing the alternate points of view; I only meant my own opinion was based on what I saw in-game and from old-time sources. It's still an opinion with room for different interpretations. As an aside, I liked the tidbits about the D&D mechanics. I never played that....I was too cool for it and was more likely to be making fun of the guys playing tabletop RPG's. Here I am, now, so the joke was on me in the long run.

Cen: If I'm on green at all it'll be on a hybrid, or nothing. Damn the torpedoes!

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 09-15-2019 at 03:26 PM..
Old 09-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Sarnak

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/edit...rs_letter.html

They had the penalties to balance out what they deemed as the stronger classes.

Logically.. a hybrid would be stronger than their non hybrid counterpart. In practice, that wasnt the case.. and they realized the game ends up balancing at the end game not the leveling game, so they removed class penalty.

Race penalty was there because of race superiority.

Shared pain was there so a group of friends didn't end up out leveling their troll sk tank friend.

TBH this is one of those vanilla things that shouldn't exist for the same reasons they eventually removed it.

The shared penalty more than anything, people refuse to invite hybrids to groups when there are other choices.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

Danth
Problem with that logic is it would have made no sense to put a penalty on the hard classes and not in the easy ones. Unless your interpretation was that the difficulty was based on the exp rate.

My assumption is the difficulty was supposed to be around the actual playstyle mechanics.

You can imagine assuming that a hybrid would be much more mechanically complex to play compared to a generic warrior or rogue.

With that logic you would give the exp bonus to the hard classes to encourage people to play them over the easy ones... The modifiers are how they tried to balance the game, like how the zone exp modifiers were how they tried to encourage people to go into their cool dungeons.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:44 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/edit...rs_letter.html

They had the penalties to balance out what they deemed as the stronger classes.

Logically.. a hybrid would be stronger than their non hybrid counterpart. In practice, that wasnt the case.. and they realized the game ends up balancing at the end game not the leveling game, so they removed class penalty.

Race penalty was there because of race superiority.

Shared pain was there so a group of friends didn't end up out leveling their troll sk tank friend.

TBH this is one of those vanilla things that shouldn't exist for the same reasons they eventually removed it.

The shared penalty more than anything, people refuse to invite hybrids to groups when there are other choices.
That was an interesting read.
Closed Thread