Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-11-2022, 03:09 PM
Sarnak

Default Optimal setup to prevent crashes

I've seen a lot of different advice on how to prevent crashes on p99. Currently I'm running the game in compatibility mode (xp service pack 3) and using WinEQ (mainly for gamma correction). Most of my crashes have been loading into the game which is annoying but tolerable, but occasionally during play and last night I had a reset device failure in Howling Stones and that's almost always going to be a RIP when playing my enchanter.

I read that a program dgvoodo? may solve that particular problem but doesn't work with WinEQ. Anyone have experience with that or has found a good system to stop the crashes? The crashes when zoning, camping, etc. I can live with, just trying to not to get myself killed in a dungeon basement and then have to wait who knows how long to hopefully get a rez. I know I'll have to eat a few deaths and the game is never going to run perfectly, just wondering what experienced players are doing right now to minimize it.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:45 PM
Orc

I had the same issue, also play an enchanter heh, where my screen would lock up and lead to a reset device failure. Tried many things you tried but the only thing that has worked is dgvoodoo. Its been about 2 or 3 weeks now since it happened and before that it would happen quite often.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:26 AM
Kobold

I would crash near the outdoor merchants at the OT outpost, Skyfire ramp, Cabilis and more. I now use dgvoodoo2 in windowed mode and make it full screen using borderless gaming. You can run it full screen without borderless gaming but overlays like Gina won't show on screen. I also run eqgame.exe in win7 sp2 or sp3 compatibility mode. No crashes.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:58 AM
Planar Protector

I'll throw in another +1 for dgvoodoo2. Like Lich, I use that and compatibility mode on eqgame.exe.

-Mcoy
Old 06-16-2022, 03:54 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lich [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would crash near the outdoor merchants at the OT outpost, Skyfire ramp, Cabilis and more. I now use dgvoodoo2 in windowed mode and make it full screen using borderless gaming. You can run it full screen without borderless gaming but overlays like Gina won't show on screen. I also run eqgame.exe in win7 sp2 or sp3 compatibility mode. No crashes.
Interesting its only a few select areas this happens. Mine would happen in OT output and Geonid cave WL. Bizarre.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:54 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for the replies. It seems like dgvoodoo + xp compatibility is the way to go.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:57 PM
Orc

I was able to use the dgvoodoo2 d3d9.dll with wineq2 by replacing the wineq2-d3d9.dll with the downloaded one and changing its name.
just replace it in the wineq2 folder.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:07 PM
Sarnak

Damn, got a reset device failure with dgvoodoo near the newbie lift in gfay.

Quote:
drop the DLLs from \dgVoodoo2_77\MS\x86 into your everquest directory.

Run Downloads\dgVoodoo2_77\dgVoodooCpl.exe, click direct x tab, uncheck the watermark option under "miscellaneous", then click apply, this saves it to the config file (Downloads\dgVoodoo2_77\dgVoodoo.conf)

Drop dgVoodoo.conf into your everquest directory.
I followed those instructions but left the watermark on at first to make sure it's working. I'm using version dgVoodoo v2.78.2.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:27 PM
Orc

I didn't run the dgVoodooCpl.exe or copy the conf file into eq folder.

just go to the \dgVoodoo2_79\MS\x64 directory and copy over the d3d9.dll file into either EQ folder if not using WinEQ2. or the wineq2 folder and rename if you are using it
Old 07-12-2023, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't run the dgVoodooCpl.exe or copy the conf file into eq folder. build now gg

just go to the \dgVoodoo2_79\MS\x64 directory and copy over the d3d9.dll file into either EQ folder if not using WinEQ2. or the wineq2 folder and rename if you are using it
I copied the d3d9.dll file from the \dgVoodoo2_79\MS\x64 directory and placed it in the EQ folder as you said and it worked effectively.