Large Rat

Default Every Single Possible Error at once

trying to log in:

1st attempt, client crashes when I hit Enter World from character select
14 attempted server log ins resulting in Unknown Error
7 log ins to empty server select screen
1 log in to a character select screen that has no characters at all
1 log in that freezes on world loading in screen

14 hours later, successful log in after 7 or 8 tries, freeze on second time I zone, and now having the same issues as above....

What gives?
Old 01-21-2024, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

If you crash on zoning/camping - have you set compatibility mode on eqgame.exe to xp sp2 or sp3?

For your connectivity issues - test using your hotspot, a VPN, or other ISP to rule out a problem with those.

-Mcoy
Old 01-30-2024, 05:22 AM
Planar Protector

I'm having these same issues.

I remember eq being fine last year when I stopped playing about March-ish 2023. Same patch files as the ones we're running on today. Then I tried to log in a couple times in September and gave up after the blank screens. I popped in a few days ago and found it working so I logged in and ran around for a while, but then started having OP's problems. Maybe there was some changes server-side between March-Sept that caused issues with connectivity?

Maybe that can help narrow things down, I'm just a lil guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:01 AM
Planar Protector

Update: found this thread as a possible help for you Korach, however it didn't seem to have any effect for my issues.

Update 2: link to resolved thread It appears this issue has been ongoing as recently as Nov 2023. Ambrogio mentioned this is an ongoing issue and that they were aware and working on the solutions. Thread was resolved but issues persist.

Quote:

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Last edited by Sonderbeast; 01-30-2024 at 06:22 AM..
Old 01-30-2024, 06:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you crash on zoning/camping - have you set compatibility mode on eqgame.exe to xp sp2 or sp3?

For your connectivity issues - test using your hotspot, a VPN, or other ISP to rule out a problem with those.

-Mcoy
Was using sp2 switched to sp3 and fixed crashes while zoning and camping. Mcoy you're a gem.

Your response on this thread seems to suggest routing will fix itself eventually?

Quote:

Last edited by Sonderbeast; 01-30-2024 at 06:59 AM..
Old 01-30-2024, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonderbeast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was using sp2 switched to sp3 and fixed crashes while zoning and camping. Mcoy you're a gem.

Your response on this thread seems to suggest routing will fix itself eventually?
Yeah, they pop up often. You can usually tell because there'll be a couple new threads that pop up about connectivity issues. If you all get together you'll probably find you have something in common - same ISP, same geo loc, etc. It sucks, because if you could get your ISP's level 1 to understand wtf you're talking about it might get resolved sooner. As it stands, their engineers have an amber light and they'll get to it eventually... EQ using UDP means it's sensitive to these types of issues, and virtually everything else isn't.

Kav's response about using a vpn or hotspot will usually work as a workaround. You could also power cycle your modem/router and maybe you'll get lucky.

-Mcoy
Old 01-31-2024, 12:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, they pop up often. You can usually tell because there'll be a couple new threads that pop up about connectivity issues. If you all get together you'll probably find you have something in common - same ISP, same geo loc, etc. It sucks, because if you could get your ISP's level 1 to understand wtf you're talking about it might get resolved sooner. As it stands, their engineers have an amber light and they'll get to it eventually... EQ using UDP means it's sensitive to these types of issues, and virtually everything else isn't.

Kav's response about using a vpn or hotspot will usually work as a workaround. You could also power cycle your modem/router and maybe you'll get lucky.

-Mcoy
VPN doesn't fix the issue. I'm stumped.

Quote:

Old 01-31-2024, 08:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonderbeast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
VPN doesn't fix the issue. I'm stumped.
It's just populating server select that's an issue for you? Have you tried the middlemand route? I get the same issue on my steam deck, but I just keep relaunching p99 and eventually it'll populate and seems fine from then on. I'm on starlink though, and it seems a bit of latency helps with that - hence people suggesting to go wireless instead of wired, etc.

Also, EQ doesn't play well with CPUs over 4.2GHz, or if your system uptime is over ~ 31 days. If you never reboot, and instead only shutdown, make sure you have fast startup disabled under your power options.

-Mcoy
Old 01-31-2024, 10:10 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah at this point it was just the server select. I tried the middlemand program and followed the instructions but it didn't seem to solve anything. I wasn't really sure I did it correctly as it seemed way too simple.

I'm on wifi and my CPU is 3.8GHz

It's 9am EST and I'm able to log in consistently after disabling fast startup in power options and shutting down (I would usually just use restart). SO it seems like it's working now! however I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll follow up tomorrow with an update on performance if it continues to work without issue or not.

Thanks Mcoy!

Quote: