Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 01:07 AM
Orc

Default Eyerazzia vs. Trident of the Seven Seas?

I have a few qualifying statements to make about my character to impact your judgment.

Level 50 rogue
255 STR raidbuffed
190 DEX raidbuffed

have a Swirlspine Belt (16%) haste.

Curious as to what would be the better MH poker choice. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Haste and strength won't matter.

The ToSS theoretically outdamages the eye by about 10%. But it assumes the procs will not be resisted at all, when you well know that's certainly not going to be the case, especially on raid targets. So the answer is going to come down to "it depends" on the mob you are fighting. just eyeballing it here, the eye certainly comes out on top at the point at least half of your proc damage on average is being resisted.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

Actually forget that.I'll calculate when I have time instead of trying it quickly in my head, because it can't be simplified like I initially assumed. STR and haste won't be multiplying the damage of the the proc, so all of it needs to be calculated.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

Isn’t the proc undesirable for a rogue, as it risks pulling aggro? Especially now, when Evade doesn’t exist (not til Paineel)? I’d pick a 10/24 with no proc over a 10/30 with a proc any day. Plus, if you gear for strength, you’ll do more damage without getting more aggro (since aggro is based on swings and it doesn’t matter whether you hit or how much you hit for). If you gear for dex to get more Trident procs, the aggro issue gets worse.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:32 PM
Fire Giant

Does 10 delay == 1 second? If so you're looking at 5 or so more swings per minute with the rapier versus ~1.5 procs per minute with the trident. If none of the procs get resisted, I'd say the trident is better, but I haven't done the math on the expected damage of 5 MH swings. That being said, if half or so of the procs get resisted, the rapier is clearly better. I can also see avoiding the proc for aggro reasons, but there is no stun or debuff, so it isn't that bad.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Max hypothetical damage is nearly identical.
Eye 18.1 dps
Toss 14.7 dps + 3.8 dps proc.
Backstab is not factored in as it's not needed.

This assumes all your hits are going to land, and that the proc always lands for full damage. Your proc will certainly land for less than max frequently and there is no way in hell you will ever have a 100% hit rate on anything blue.

They are close enough you should parse them, since there are important variables changing on every mob, their ac, their avoidance skills (like parry) numbers, the level difference, and their cold save. Level difference might be able to factor out but I doubt that both magic save and combat calculations are equally impacted by level difference.

We also don't know to what degree "improved combat tables" for classes like rogue will impact the numbers either, though theoretically it should give the eye a bit of a boost..
Closed Thread