Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 04:42 AM
Fire Giant

Default Should ZEM even be in the game this early?

Don't get me wrong, I have been rocking it in Befallen, but I'm certain ZEM wasn't even introduced until paw 2.0
Old 11-06-2019, 07:41 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coridan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't get me wrong, I have been rocking it in Befallen, but I'm certain ZEM wasn't even introduced until paw 2.0
Well if you have proof it wasn't they might reconsider, they can't just take your word or 20 year old memory for it. There are many things on green that wasn't in at launch but since there are no records of exactly when they were added they are simply left in.
Last edited by Ahris; 11-06-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Old 11-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Sarnak

I'm not sure, but this post got me going here http://wiki.project1999.com/Patch_Notes and searching "ZEM" and "experience." Some neat informations in there. It seems like the exp loss from death was reduced multiple times for example, lol.

A lot to read, still reading.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:59 AM
Fire Giant

I'll grant my 20 year old memory isn't a reliable source, but at the same time they hid ZEM stuff back on live so it's likely there is no actual source unless we ask a developer.

I can tell you though that on live there were constantly groups in highpass, orc highway and aviak city and people weren't doing 3 levels in one session in Befallen/Guk.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

I think this was something you should have brought up in the lead up to launch. They’re not gonna change it at this point.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Fire Giant

ZEMs get brought up all the time, the staff never talks about it though.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coridan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll grant my 20 year old memory isn't a reliable source, but at the same time they hid ZEM stuff back on live so it's likely there is no actual source unless we ask a developer.

I can tell you though that on live there were constantly groups in highpass, orc highway and aviak city and people weren't doing 3 levels in one session in Befallen/Guk.
Yea speaking purely anecdotally, the XP seems quite rapid. Then again I sure died a lllloooooottttt more back in the day which would've slowed things considerably.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

You can't not have a zone experience modifier in the game. It's a core part of the game's basic functionality. The game doesn't work without it. If a zone didn't have a "ZEM" you'd get no experience for anything you killed. You won't see (much) discussion of it in the very early days simply because the acronym hadn't come into common use yet. That being said, I don't remember when they began to tinker with experience modifiers beyond their original launch values, and neither do I have any indication that P99's values are equivalent to classic.

Note that most zones consider a normal experience modifier 75 (not 100) because 989/Verant decided to slow everyone down after creating the basic system once they realized people could level pretty quickly and there was very little content for upper level players.

-----------------------------------------------

With respect to the above post, people can definitely level more quickly than in the original game. My first serious character took me several months (all summer, basically), playing quite a lot, just to get to about level thirty or so. Turns out grinding in full or near full groups who are pulling maybe half a dozen monsters per round was a lousy way to try to level.

Danth
Old 11-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Fire Giant

Yes like I said purely anecdotal evidence. I'd love rotating ZEMs on Green/Teal unannounced and hidden to keep players moving around though
Old 11-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Fire Giant

I'd be fine if there was no ZEM at all. The drops already make dungeons worth hunting on over places like Orc Highway or crocs.
Closed Thread