Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Kobold

High ZEMs for dungeons with amazing loot don’t even make sense. The high ZEMs should have been terrible zones where no one wanted to go, making people choose between loot and exp
Old 11-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
High ZEMs for dungeons with amazing loot don’t even make sense. The high ZEMs should have been terrible zones where no one wanted to go, making people choose between loot and exp
Which is pretty much what SOE said themselves in Jan 2001. Now how things ended up the way they supposedly are, AKA completely contradictory to that statement, I have no idea.

I do wish the staff would talk about it more, since it's a pretty big part of the game, but they feel like even just talking about it is unclassic.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooj [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now how things ended up the way they supposedly are, AKA completely contradictory to that statement, I have no idea.
I think this was a case of the staff trying to make things more classic, by changing the ZEMs from the classic values to add mystery.

But what we gained in classic "mystery", we lost in ... well, everything else. As I've said in other threads, NO ONE wins from the current ZEM system. Whether you're a classicist or a "make P99 as close to live today as possible" player, and whether you want to see "classic clumping" in certain dungeons or whether you'd like to see the population more spread out ...

... no matter what, the current ZEMs don't serve your, or anyone else's, interest. I honestly don't think they even serve the staff's (except that not changing them = less work for the staff).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this was a case of the staff trying to make things more classic, by changing the ZEMs from the classic values to add mystery.

But what we gained in classic "mystery", we lost in ... well, everything else. As I've said in other threads, NO ONE wins from the current ZEM system. Whether you're a classicist or a "make P99 as close to live today as possible" player, and whether you want to see "classic clumping" in certain dungeons or whether you'd like to see the population more spread out ...

... no matter what, the current ZEMs don't serve your, or anyone else's, interest. I honestly don't think they even serve the staff's (except that not changing them = less work for the staff).
I understand what you're saying here, you've posted this same thing a few times, but it's really distracting from the actual issue. Any changes the staff have made to zem have seemed to be minor and mostly the issues are with the original or stock values of zem. Trying to misdirect this issue onto the staff setting bad zems is out of touch with the actual problems. All zones that had originally high zems seem to still have high zems.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 11-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Banned

if the Project 1999: Green/Teal 2019 ZEMS are randomly generated and randomly change after X hour/X date, do you EVEN think Staff would let the playerbase know?

i think not
Old 11-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand what you're saying here, you've posted this same thing a few times, but it's really distracting from the actual issue. Any changes the staff have made to zem have seemed to be minor and mostly the issues are with the original or stock values of zem. Trying to misdirect this issue onto the staff setting bad zems is out of touch with the actual problems. All zones that had originally high zems seem to still have high zems.
And you're basing that on ... your wishes? A handful of zones you've visited? I mean if you're going to call me out and say I don't know what I'm talking about, maybe have something to base it on? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No one (except the staff) knows the current ZEMs, so it's fallacious for anyone to claim that A) they know what they all are, and B) that they're all the same as, or close to, classic ZEMs. All you, I, or anyone else has to go on is subjective player reports. If you take those reports for what they are, in aggregate, they most certainly do strongly suggest that zones here have unclassic ZEMs, and this fact is not controversial.

People have given numerous specific examples (eg. in those other threads you referenced reading). There's no point in repeating them all here, but one very obvious one is Kedge Keep. Kedge gave very good XP on live, and gives comparatively terrible XP here, so while no one knows it's exact ZEM, subjective measurements strongly suggest it's significantly different (and not classic) here.

At the end of the day, I'm all for rotating dynamic ZEMs, or the staff setting some new sensible ones that encourage people to not clump, or whatever. I'm also in favor of 100% classic ZEMs. But either way, if we can't even acknowledge the reality that the staff made a Faustian bargain with ZEMs here (they wanted mystery and traded both the original devs' goals/logic and the "soul of classic" to get it), I don't see how the discussion can really be honest.

TLDR; I don't see how unclassically nerfing the XP of a zone like Kedge makes the game better for anyone ... but P99 definitely does it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 11-09-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 09:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz Sect [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if the Project 1999: Green/Teal 2019 ZEMS are randomly generated and randomly change after X hour/X date, do you EVEN think Staff would let the playerbase know?

i think not
No and it could be a scripted event. We've seen bonus XP be implemented without having to take any servers offline in the past.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And you're basing that on ... your wishes? A handful of zones you've visited? I mean if you're going to call me out and say I don't know what I'm talking about, maybe have something to base it on? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No one (except the staff) knows the current ZEMs, so it's fallacious for anyone to claim that A) they know what they all are, and B) that they're all the same as, or close to, classic ZEMs. All you, I, or anyone else has to go on is subjective player reports. If you take those reports for what they are, in aggregate, they most certainly do strongly suggest that zones here have unclassic ZEMs, and this fact is not controversial.

People have given numerous specific examples (eg. in those other threads you referenced reading). There's no point in repeating them all here, but one very obvious one is Kedge Keep. Kedge gave very good XP on live, and gives comparatively terrible XP here, so while no one knows it's exact ZEM, subjective measurements strongly suggest it's significantly different (and not classic) here.

At the end of the day, I'm all for rotating dynamic ZEMs, or the staff setting some new sensible ones that encourage people to not clump, or whatever. I'm also in favor of 100% classic ZEMs. But either way, if we can't even acknowledge the reality that the staff made a Faustian bargain with ZEMs here (they wanted mystery and traded both the original devs' goals/logic and the "soul of classic" to get it), I don't see how the discussion can really be honest.

TLDR; I don't see how unclassically nerfing the XP of a zone like Kedge makes the game better for anyone ... but P99 definitely does it.
So do YOU know what you're talking about? You're basically going off on a tangent assuming that they messed with every zem, when there's no evidence that's the case. Guk, crushbone, najena, befallen all seem to give the most exp which matches up.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So do YOU know what you're talking about? You're basically going off on a tangent assuming that they messed with every zem, when there's no evidence that's the case. Guk, crushbone, najena, befallen all seem to give the most exp which matches up.
It does not logically follow that because five zones seem to have classic ZEMs, that all ZEMs, for every zone in Project 1999, are classic.

That I have to explain something as basic as that to you, or the fact that people care about zones other than your pet five, just demonstrates why there's no point in engaging further with you.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
It does not logically follow that because five zones seem to have classic ZEMs, that all ZEMs, for every zone in Project 1999, are classic.

That I have to explain something as basic as that to you, or the fact that people care about zones other than your pet five, just demonstrates why there's no point in engaging further with you.
No one that I have seen agrees with this argument at all. Pretty much every debate I've seen is over the zem listed on the wiki. If you think that they have changed zem for guk/ct, provide evidence.

Edit: also I acknowledge they've changed zem for zones like kedge and possibly lake for balance reasons. That's a corner case and not really related to this topic.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Last edited by Roth; 11-09-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Closed Thread