Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you provide examples where VP staff is better than epic? I've seen numerous people claim VP staff is real epic and I find it just plain incorrect in practice. At 60 with both items I've found epic infinitely more useful in anything remotely challenging (Chardok, PoM, Kael, HS, etc). Basically anything that requires some level of tanking and/or shadowbonding a group member or pet. Vexing already has a -100 mod so it lands on almost anything and does significantly more dmg/healing due to the splurt like nature of VP staff.

Necro snares are resisted much more often and I find epic much nicer for a free snare/dot that can be cast X number of times if resisted, and does respectable dmg. Also VP staff blows for healing when using demi-lich. For anything root rotting/fear kiting I still find epic superior, Though neither item is necessary for that.
I think it’s hyperbole left from back when root and snare effects didn’t stack. Necro epic was a lot worse back then
Old 10-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you say there are way more things necro can solo, is that because the mob would just tear through the mage pet too fast to reasonably be kept up with? Is that the only reason, or is there other factors?

Bear with me, for I am noob

If it's just 1 mob, a mage can probably solo close to or even better than a necro. For example, mages are the only lvl 50 class that can solo alizusaur (lvl 50 mob w/ 15k hp). But if there are multiple mobs all a mage can do is try to blow 1 up then zone, summon new pet and repeat till clear. This only works when near a zone though, so they can't camp level-appropriate dungeons or large outdoor zones like a necro can.

A necro can send in pet, blow up 1 mob, FD till mobs reset. Repeat till clear. Or if they are undead he can use charm, and not even need to FD or reset unless he gets a bad series of resists.
Last edited by Polycaster; 10-08-2019 at 04:24 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycaster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it's just 1 mob, a mage can probably solo close to or even better than a necro. For example, mages are the only lvl 50 class that can solo alizusaur (lvl 50 mob w/ 15k hp). But if there are multiple mobs all a mage can do is try to blow 1 up then zone, summon new pet and repeat till clear. This only works when near a zone though, so they can't camp level-appropriate dungeons or large outdoor zones like a necro can.

A necro can send in pet, blow up 1 mob, FD till mobs reset. Repeat till clear. Or if they are undead he can use charm, and not even need to FD or reset unless he gets a bad series of resists.
Couple points:

#1 Mages will potentially have root nets. Not saying they'll be common or affordable, but they are a classic item that will exist.

#2 Necros won't just be charming undead ... if the classic reports are implemented, they (and Shaman) will have full Charm at launch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Fire Giant

for me this feels so unfair for the Mage.

Mages are great duoers and groupers.
Necros are great soloers.

You are not comparing the same things at all.
You want to solo, play a solo class, which mages are not.

Mages shine the most in a duo/trio, good in full groups, summoning booze for everyone and typing up stories while the pet is working wonders for them. It's a social class.

Necros shine the most alone in some kind of dark dungeon, being a toolbox and some 100% autonomous and independant gurls. It's an anti-social class.

pick your addiction.

(PS: necros are actually fun in a group too.)
(PS: mages can actually solo a little.)
(PS: that doesn't change shit to what i just posted about.)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:11 AM
Planar Protector

Allizewsaur is a good example. It's a level 50, high HP mob which comes single and is pure melee.

A 55 necro will snare, fear, stick pet on it and maybe a dot or two, and finish the fight close to full mana.

If i remember correctly, it takes 2 epic mage pets to kill this guy, so if the 55 mage is not epic'd, he will have to chain X pets and finish close to OOM.

And that's on a single, pure melee mob. Every single additional factor such as multi-mob camp, caster mobs, roamers, gaters... will make the necro look even stronger compared to the mage.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love the mage class and I really want to continue playing my mage
Your search for which class to play should stop here!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If i remember correctly, it takes 2 epic mage pets to kill this guy, so if the 55 mage is not epic'd, he will have to chain X pets and finish close to OOM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycaster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For example, mages are the only lvl 50 class that can solo alizusaur (lvl 50 mob w/ 15k hp).

I'm confused: one person is saying you need a 55 mage (ideally with epic) to solo the Gojira wannabe, and the other is saying you can do it in classic with a level 50. Who's leaving out relevant details? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(I'll just leave the question of "why would anyone want to solo him?", when he barely drops anything worth the trouble, unanswered ...)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Laughing at the fact you think only a mage can solo Allizewsaur
Old 10-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Laughing at the fact you think only a mage can solo Allizewsaur
Are you saying that for level 50 or 60? I don't think anyone said "only Mages can solo Allizewsaur ... on Blue at level 60".

But having never played either a mage or necro at 50, in classic (ie. with crap gear), I'm curious to hear someone who has weigh in (with more than just a laugh).

Soloing a max-level even con (with any class/mob) is usually quite a challenge.

Last edited by loramin; 10-09-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Old 10-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Multiple classes can solo alli on green hell a 46 bard could easily solo naked
Closed Thread