Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If a group is looking for a tank they will always pick a war/pal/sk over you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You won’t be actively recruited for this job. Period, with very few exceptions. That’s what you should expect.
Quote:
Most people/groups will still reflex to a monk tank over a ranger out of habit despite the lack of on demand threat.
Quote:
If looking for a dps they will likely look for rog/monk/ench/mage over you.
Quote:
Outdoors rangers are supreme pullers but this could and will likely be overlooked.
Quote:
They aren't hated, but unfortunately they are often overlooked.
In my experience, after leveling my ranger twice, none of the quoted statements are true.
  • My first time leveling, *untwinked, I tanked around 75% of the time and was either DPS or puller for the rest.
  • I was recruited to tank seb at level 52 where I stayed for several levels.
  • The same day I reached 60 I was recruited into a pug to tank juggs.
I do not believe I was an exception.

* I think I had some banded armor and some other similar quality items when I started my ranger
Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 PM
Planar Protector

Welp, I'm about to ding 5, and now I face a decision, sell my bone chips and grind out the levels on orcs in Greater Faydark, or turn the bone chips in and shoot to level 9. I know I'm probably supposed to just turn them in, but the money is significant to me at this level, and I don't mind grinding it out, especially at a camp where I might be able to meet people.

What would you guys do?
Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 PM
Sarnak

Keep grinding and socialize imo
Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

Deezy,

Your experience is different than any I’ve had on p99 on any of the *toomany* toons I have leveled here. I believe you, it’s just not what I have seen unfortunately. Rangers are perfectly competent at the the tanking job.

Most times, any ranger tank in my groups was either a situation of opportunity or it was because the ranger was overgeared or someone knew the ranger. The same was true for inviting a ranger dps. If a random ranger was lfg along with a random monk/rog/etc, I cannot recall many (if any at all) the random ranger was chosen over another class unless I went out of my way to point out the benefits.

I haven’t leveled a ranger on p99 yet but it’s soon and I look forward to it.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-05-2019, 11:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welp, I'm about to ding 5, and now I face a decision, sell my bone chips and grind out the levels on orcs in Greater Faydark, or turn the bone chips in and shoot to level 9. I know I'm probably supposed to just turn them in, but the money is significant to me at this level, and I don't mind grinding it out, especially at a camp where I might be able to meet people.

What would you guys do?
Level with the chips, buy a Silver Swiftblade. Skip the lammies and save like 1kpp.

A lam is only going to speed up the 1-20 grind. After that DW sucks for at least 26 more levels.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:22 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Rangers are perfectly competent at the the tanking job.
I'm not debating whether or not a ranger is competent in a tanking role, I don't need to. Only that rangers will get overlooked, never picked over any other tank, or that you should expect to rarely get a group. In my experience, the two times I leveled my ranger, it was quite the opposite.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Level with the chips, buy a Silver Swiftblade. Skip the lammies and save like 1kpp.

A lam is only going to speed up the 1-20 grind. After that DW sucks for at least 26 more levels.
I'm a big fan of lammys till epic. Lammy starts to equal a woodsman's staff dps around lvl 40. While there are better options from around lvl 20-40, those options don't scale into 50+ as well as a lammy does.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:05 AM
Planar Protector

Glad I saved the chips, got to around Level 8 in Crushbone in about an hour thanks to some generous buffers. Feels like I saved some money there for sure.

Even if Lammy's arent the best mid-level, I still want them because they play aesthetically into a Rangers characters. Rangers are meant to dual-wield after all.

And I'd rather do a bunch of consistent little hits than the occasional big hit with wider variance.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:24 AM
Banned

Just because a ranger has the ability to hold agro does not make healing a ranger a fun job. Play a healer and you'll know why rangers get passed over.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:46 AM
Planar Protector

Well it’s your prerogative. Just know that the feeling of doing more damage isn’t the same as actually doing more damage.

At least get a Jade and a CSS so you are in the .5 ratio club.
Closed Thread