Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: What do you think will happen?
The USA will buy the UK to make them great again 15 14.02%
The monarchy will collapse, England to become Venezuela 2.0 10 9.35%
UK to sink in total recession, AM/Riot to rejoice about this new stream of jobless apps 25 23.36%
The UK will do just fine, will claim back USA, India, Australia and all other ex colonies 23 21.50%
The EU will make Boris Johnson fuck a pig live on TV, or they kill Harry 19 17.76%
Bush // towers 39 36.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Scotland move to join EU has to be 'seriously considered', says Van Rompuy
Old 09-16-2019, 12:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Scotland voted in 2014 to remain a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I know that's not the EU way though, to respect the result of a democratic election - you have to vote again and again until the people vote the right way.

Btw, not many people have considered this given the general preoccupation with Brexit for the last few years, but Brexit makes the case for Scottish (non-)Independence much, much weaker.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Sarnak

Considering that was before Brexit was even a thing, and Scotland voted Remain by 10%, I don't think that's a particularly unreasonable position for them to take.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrombosis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Brexit makes the case for Scottish (non-)Independence much, much weaker.
According to what mental gymnastics?
Old 09-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Considering that was before Brexit was even a thing, and Scotland voted Remain by 10%, I don't think that's a particularly unreasonable position for them to take.
It was over 40 years before the people got to vote again on the UK's participation in what was the EEC, is now the EU. How much changed in that time? When we joined the EEC in 1973 there was no European parliament, there was no single market, there was no European Court of Injustice, there was no Freedom of Movement. Did we get a vote on any of these major changes to our country? Is it only the things that les bien pensents agree with that we get to vote again and again for? Sorry, but I think Scotland had a very good case for independence back in 2014 and the UK would certainly have treated them a good deal better than the EU are behaving today, but you just can't keep having referendums on the same thing when you don't get the result you don't want.

Fun fact: more people voted for Brexit in Scotland than voted for the only pro-Independence political party in 2017.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
According to what mental gymnastics?
Most Scottish exports go to England at the moment. How would Scottish exporters cope with an EU-imposed hard border along Hadrian's wall*? The issue of Scotland's currency still isn't resolved - would the EU require them to join the Euro?

*Yes, I'm aware that there's large areas of England north of Hadrian's wall, it's a figure of speech.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

I'm sure those numbers will change slightly after the English economy collapses post-Brexit, and they will probably adopt the Euro eventually.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Johnson humiliated by Luxembourg PM at 'empty chair' press conference
Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrombosis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was over 40 years before the people got to vote again on the UK's participation in what was the EEC, is now the EU. How much changed in that time? When we joined the EEC in 1973 there was no European parliament, there was no single market, there was no European Court of Injustice, there was no Freedom of Movement. Did we get a vote on any of these major changes to our country? Is it only the things that les bien pensents agree with that we get to vote again and again for? Sorry, but I think Scotland had a very good case for independence back in 2014 and the UK would certainly have treated them a good deal better than the EU are behaving today, but you just can't keep having referendums on the same thing when you don't get the result you don't want.

Fun fact: more people voted for Brexit in Scotland than voted for the only pro-Independence political party in 2017.
I don't see any reason why they can't have referendums as frequently as there is actual public opinion on the matter to support it. Just because they never called for one in those 40 years doesn't mean 40 years has any reason to be the baseline on how frequently people get a voice in their self determination. And besides - I think 5 years is ample time for reexamination, especially in the context of the gravity of what has happened during it.

Also, thank you for the irrelevant fun fact. Here's another one that actually matters: More Scots voted for Remain than Brexit.

The configuration (In EU)+(Not in UK)+(UK in EU) is no longer possible. (In EU)+(In UK)+(UK in EU) was removed from them against their personal votes. It follows that it's fully logical for a vote on the configuration of (In EU)+(Not in UK)+(UK not in EU) to be a thing that happens.
Closed Thread