Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Large Rat

Default New Cleric Questions

Hey guys and Gals, I just started a Cleric with my brother and Friend. I cant remember the server but its the one without newbie armor. I just wanted to ask is there anything I do besides stand there and be worthless? I am level 5 and so far, I just stand there and do nothing. My spells cost way to much, auto attacks miss and when they do hit they are ass. I can barely solo a yellow mob ( I know they are harder than white ones). It just seems worthless that im standing there doing nothing, armor sucks weapon sucks. So any tips on how to improve this would be amazing!

Ps. Sorry if my spelling sucks at work on phone.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

You basically battle cleric until you are past level 10 or so... melee with the occasional nuke.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Fire Giant

go kill some blue mobs. qeynos is a good area...you're going to suck until you can kill some undead and heal yourself.

[ANONYMOUS] dip|o the Conjurer
Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You basically battle cleric until you are past level 10 or so... melee with the occasional nuke.
So I basically tough it out at 10 then I become usefull? Im with a pally and a magician
Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Sarnak

If you're playing on a classic like low population server that doesn't have books I'd say you need to completely change your set up. Druid because the boats probably don't work, something other then a mage because if those boats don't work then he's not getting his pet spells from OoT, and a bard or enchanter for mana regen and CC.

Ports / Heal + CC/mana + ???

Or just come play on p99.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.J. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're playing on a classic like low population server that doesn't have books I'd say you need to completely change your set up. Druid because the boats probably don't work, something other then a mage because if those boats don't work then he's not getting his pet spells from OoT, and a bard or enchanter for mana regen and CC.

Ports / Heal + CC/mana + ???

Or just come play on p99.
We are on P99, thats out set up, Like i said i just sit here doing nothing lol
Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Aviak

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I did want to ask:

On live I played a monk, and then a wizard during my first excursion into P99. After a six month break, I'm back, and I've got a cleric who's rolling along nicely. My ultimate goal with this guy is to become an asset in groups and raids. Could any long-time clerics offer tips on being an effective healer/cleric, or point me to a good guide?

Kadatha Sharptail <BDA> ~ Level 40 Iksar Monk
Old 02-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by taytay1225 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey guys and Gals, I just started a Cleric with my brother and Friend. I cant remember the server but its the one without newbie armor. I just wanted to ask is there anything I do besides stand there and be worthless? I am level 5 and so far, I just stand there and do nothing. My spells cost way to much, auto attacks miss and when they do hit they are ass. I can barely solo a yellow mob ( I know they are harder than white ones). It just seems worthless that im standing there doing nothing, armor sucks weapon sucks. So any tips on how to improve this would be amazing!

Ps. Sorry if my spelling sucks at work on phone.
Clerics don't really take off until level 8 when you get Meditate, which lets you regain mana a lot faster while sitting. Before then, in a group setting you can melee and heal or you can sit and let mana regen at 2 per tick instead of 1 per tick standing and heal. Once you hit 8, you shouldn't be meleeing anymore - meditate all the time, and use your mana for heals/buffs/lulls/roots and if you have extra mana, nukes. Also, you should never count on being able to solo white or yellow mobs; only very powerful solo classes can handle that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aborath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't want to start a new thread, but I did want to ask:

On live I played a monk, and then a wizard during my first excursion into P99. After a six month break, I'm back, and I've got a cleric who's rolling along nicely. My ultimate goal with this guy is to become an asset in groups and raids. Could any long-time clerics offer tips on being an effective healer/cleric, or point me to a good guide?
First, always be meditating, unless you're doing something important. Nothing more annoying than seeing a caster class trying to melee something or standing for no reason when they could be getting more mana to do much more useful things.

Second, in terms of healing, one way I've found is useful to regulate your mana is to only heal someone if their HP is proportionally less than your MP (e.g. they have 60% HP and you have 65% MP). This way, people get the idea not to go pulling more monsters if they've just finished a battle and are still sitting at 40% HP and not being healed since you're meditating. It lets you get around having to constantly ask for meditate breaks in group chat - people know you're low on mana because they're not being healed. This method also lets you keep mana in reserve for emergencies.

Third, make good use of your crowd control abilities. If you're targeting blue mobs or lower, Lull is a great tool to help your puller get single pulls (and can still be useful to try on higher level mobs, though you should expect it to fail a lot). Root is always useful. In general, your group should only be taking melee damage from one monster at a time; any more and you are going to have to heal more than is necessary, and it will slow down your EXP as a result.

Fourth, use your buffs. The big ones are the Courage line and the Symbol line, which give boosts to max HP - these are good to throw on the tank and anyone else who may be in danger of taking a lot of damage at once (e.g. the puller, the enchanter). The Holy Armor line is also useful. Finally, Divine Intervention is a great tool in an emergency, but be advised that once it wears off monsters will go right back to attacking you unless people have actively done work to take aggro off you.

Fifth, if you are ever full on mana, as in 100%, you're wasting your meditation ticks. Prevent this from happening by nuking when you have spare mana and/or encouraging your puller to pull more often.

Finally, be careful as to when you heal someone. If a puller is bringing in a group of four mobs and you heal him right as he arrives in camp, you can bet that you're going to get targeted by those mobs immediately. If you wait a bit for the mobs to get CCed (and/or help with the CC) before starting on heals, you'll be in a lot better shape, assuming that no one dies before this happens.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

the more you attack with weapons, the better your skill will become. you might hit for nothing now, but with a nice one handed weapon you should be able to kill most anything.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Finally, Divine Intervention is a great tool in an emergency, but be advised that once it wears off monsters will go right back to attacking you unless people have actively done work to take aggro off you.
Nice stuff here, but quick fix. He means Divine Aura (level 1 spell). That spell will make you invulnerable to all spells and attacks for 18s (at the cost of you not being able to attack or cast). It is a quick 1s cast but a long 10min recast. You should always keep it up for whatever you are doing though.

Divine Intervention (level 60 spell) is a save on death-blow spell that costs 2 Emeralds as reagents. Primarily useful on raids.
Closed Thread