Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

I am glad we can all agree, JFK ended the federal support of mental hospitals and started the epidemic we live in today.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For once ... I truly do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I made a mistake, or actually two. The minor one was misunderstanding a software license, and the much bigger one was making a big clickbaity thread about it instead of trying to discuss it without all the drama.

Again, I sincerely apologize for both. All I can hope is that the people I besmirched got some amusement out of laughing at this thread.
You coulda styled it out with claims of Devil’s Advocate or ‘just a prank, bro’. Respect to you that you took ownership.

Worthwhile topic for discussions sake anyway.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-13-2021, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should feel bad JFK was playing us all for fools! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Kobold

There is some sharing going on; the projects just don't want much code from each other, if any. Mackal has access to TAKP source and he can lift whatever he wants from it. He preferred to implement combat mechanics in his own way into EQEmu and our forks are too different to copy and paste regardless. TAKP founders Rob and Cavedude are long-time PEQ/EQEmu devs. Haynar works on P99 and TAKP and there has been a small amount of sharing there. I publicly outline a lot of my research on EQEmu's forum as a way to preserve it. The research is usually the hard part anyway.

The databases and quest scripts would be more desirable than the code. P99 uses Perl and TAKP ripped out Perl and converted all scripts to Lua, so they couldn't share scripts without porting them to another language even if they wanted to share; not to mention all the NPC IDs being different. I also added numerous new API functions and fixed broken ones so EQEmu would have to add those if they used our scripts and I assume they added their own functions as well. It's just not a matter of copy and paste. Project EQ has already adopted some of our content work and I always assumed they would lift a lot more once we fully reopened again; but even NPC stats are problematic as we have added numerous new database fields and changed the way some behave.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

So you’re saying TAKP is Roblox?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-13-2021, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-13-2021, 11:09 PM
Planar Protector

Isn’t the person who first appropriated the code technically making it available against the law as well since it’s not their IP? Kind of tough to misappropriate the code/IP of someone who technically doesn’t have legal rights to it in the first place.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:30 PM
Banned

Has anyone posted this yet? Didn’t want to read through 13 pages
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AD3C8BA3-7603-48A1-910E-07997C18E323.jpg (20.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-15-2021, 02:18 AM
Planar Protector

Capital punishment clearly in order