Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

hey lets have the same debate we both have had for 25 years of our lives with people online, but start at square one with each other again.

I have no desire to debate what you think is or isnt better.

I am simply saying: With this system you're going to kill people that dont need to die.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Planar Protector

It's a well known, and even accepted fact in many circles. That our system of arrest and incarceration leads to uneccessary deaths and excessive injury and trauma.

I agree that it kills people. Sometimes innocent people. Sometimes crazy people who do not get due process and fair constitutional treatment. It disproportionately effects minorities and the poor who are more often living on the margins.

I also think we don't have to always kill these people and that it isn't a moral or ethical position to be ok with the deaths of these guys.

Especially when they deserve a fair and speedy trial. At the least.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hey lets have the same debate we both have had for 25 years of our lives with people online, but start at square one with each other again.

I am simply saying: With this system you're going to kill people that dont need to die.
Easy fix:

Ruling about not having to protect and serve should be overturned, if you go into being a cop and don't understand you will face life or death situations, then hey that's on you.

Force local governments to accept responsibility and pay out damages for the actions of cops.

Bad cops will be fired, good cops will have protection.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The quintessential cop-out of a 'the system is broken' trope, rarely wanting to offer solutions or get into meaningful conversation with someone that doesn't deal in absolutes. It is very disappointing to encounter it so frequently. Why even bother posting 'examples' if you won't take the time to discuss it outside of one-liner generalizations with someone open to new information that just doesn't happen to be on the same starting line as you? Our country has enough people like this. I guess I didn't think you were one, but I'm wrong sometimes, too.

On top of that you leave us by saying "I am simply saying: With this system you're going to kill people that dont need to die." Well, tell us about the system where no one dies needlessly and how you can scale it up to 330+ million people in our country while respecting our constitution. I, for one, would love to hear about it. I'm not looking for anyone to die on either side of the police lines, but I'm also not naive enough to believe some situations aren't lose/lose from the start.

And just for your information, this is one of the very few forums I frequent and I don't usually engage in political/social/economic conversations online because I see it as mostly a futile effort between the trolls and arm-chair theorists. I'm blessed in the way that I have a diverse group of people in my life that allow me to see a lot of issues from wildly varying angles and walks of life so I'm not generally drawn to the internet to help form my thoughts. But even with that, some people are afraid to say what they really think in person, and I find it interesting to come here and find the viewpoints of those more willing to say what they really think about a topic no matter how crass, because I find that there is sometimes a glint of insight that finds its way through all the muck. Hell, even Mag and ImpKitten offer some insight into a world I don't fully understand if you read enough between the lines, and I find it mildly interesting and informative from time to time. It occasionally makes me think a little, but I surely don't get out of my chair thinking I understand their world from a few forum posts. I'll just make sure in the future not to make the mistake of trying to engage with you.

I will leave you with a better example for your cause, though. While it doesn't contain any shock-value graphic video, the story is more in line with where I think you were going. It's the story of Ricardo Muñoz. The police at least knew it was a mental health call and he didn't stab someone right out the gate. An even better example for you would be Patrick Warren Sr. from January of this year. Take your pick. Have a good evening.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentarro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Easy fix:

Ruling about not having to protect and serve should be overturned, if you go into being a cop and don't understand you will face life or death situations, then hey that's on you.

Force local governments to accept responsibility and pay out damages for the actions of cops.

Bad cops will be fired, good cops will have protection.
It sure is a good thing the Republicans dealt with these issues when they controlled every branch of the federal government.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:30 PM
Planar Protector

on the left side, people whow ant change and a better tomorrow!

on the right side, a bunch of racists and a thin blue line crowd who storm capitols!

leggo!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It sure is a good thing the Republicans dealt with these issues when they controlled every branch of the federal government.
No, because it takes 60 to break a filibuster. Get rid of it and we become a kneejerk reactionary state like the UK.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The quintessential cop-out of a 'the system is broken' trope, rarely wanting to offer solutions or get into meaningful conversation with someone that doesn't deal in absolutes. It is very disappointing to encounter it so frequently. Why even bother posting 'examples' if you won't take the time to discuss it outside of one-liner generalizations with someone open to new information that just doesn't happen to be on the same starting line as you? Our country has enough people like this. I guess I didn't think you were one, but I'm wrong sometimes, too.

On top of that you leave us by saying "I am simply saying: With this system you're going to kill people that dont need to die." Well, tell us about the system where no one dies needlessly and how you can scale it up to 330+ million people in our country while respecting our constitution. I, for one, would love to hear about it. I'm not looking for anyone to die on either side of the police lines, but I'm also not naive enough to believe some situations aren't lose/lose from the start.

And just for your information, this is one of the very few forums I frequent and I don't usually engage in political/social/economic conversations online because I see it as mostly a futile effort between the trolls and arm-chair theorists. I'm blessed in the way that I have a diverse group of people in my life that allow me to see a lot of issues from wildly varying angles and walks of life so I'm not generally drawn to the internet to help form my thoughts. But even with that, some people are afraid to say what they really think in person, and I find it interesting to come here and find the viewpoints of those more willing to say what they really think about a topic no matter how crass, because I find that there is sometimes a glint of insight that finds its way through all the muck. Hell, even Mag and ImpKitten offer some insight into a world I don't fully understand if you read enough between the lines, and I find it mildly interesting and informative from time to time. It occasionally makes me think a little, but I surely don't get out of my chair thinking I understand their world from a few forum posts. I'll just make sure in the future not to make the mistake of trying to engage with you.

I will leave you with a better example for your cause, though. While it doesn't contain any shock-value graphic video, the story is more in line with where I think you were going. It's the story of Ricardo Muñoz. The police at least knew it was a mental health call and he didn't stab someone right out the gate. An even better example for you would be Patrick Warren Sr. from January of this year. Take your pick. Have a good evening.
just for your information, this is one of the very few forums I frequent and I don't usually engage in political/social/economic conversations online because I see it as mostly a futile effort between the trolls and arm-chair theorists. I'm blessed in the way that I have a diverse group of people in my life that allow me to see a lot of issues from wildly varying angles and walks of life so I'm not generally drawn to the internet to help form my thoughts. But even with that, some people are afraid to say what they really think in person, and I find it interesting to come here and find the viewpoints of those more willing to say what they really think about a topic no matter how crass, because I find that there is sometimes a glint of insight that finds its way through all the muck. Hell, even Mag and ImpKitten offer some insight into a world I don't fully understand if you read enough between the lines, and I find it mildly interesting and informative from time to time. It occasionally makes me think a little, but I surely don't get out of my chair thinking I understand their world from a few forum posts. I'll just make sure in the future not to make the mistake of trying to engage with you.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

This is marginally better than a youtube comments (arguments) section.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is marginally better than a youtube comments (arguments) section.
Longer posts at least.

We got some loquacious mfers in here.
Closed Thread