Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 11:28 PM
Planar Protector

Default Building an AR or AK thread

Hey Gents.

I’ve been wanting to build a tactical rifle of some sorts. I’ve been toying with the idea for several years, but now I’m going to pull the trigger and do it. My budget is anywhere from $450 to $850, which is why I want to build vs buy complete as I feel I can get a better deal assembling it myself.

I like the AK platform because of its robustness and common cheap parts. I also like the bigger diameter round of the AK because it’s got more stopping power and I think it would be a decent hunting rifle if I ever needed to use it in a pinch. I have heard that AKs aren’t nearly as easy to build, some things I have read said you’ll need thousands of dollars of tools to assemble them, but I’m not sure. It also seems like the price to buy a kit on these is higher than an AR, but to buy them complete they are cheaper.... strange.

The AR platform seems to be the easiest to assemble, price is the cheapest (thinking about buying a PSA kit) and I like the way they look and feel, but there are a couple things I’m not so sure about. One is the .223 is a smaller round, still very powerful, but doesn’t seem to have the stopping power of the bigger AK round. The 2nd is that some of the buttons and selectors seem to be prone to jamming/clogging with cold or dirty conditions. For instance the mag release push button or the fire/safety selector aren’t built with leverage in mind. With that said, I am leaning towards this option because ammo seems cheapest for .223 and AR mods and parts are ez to come by.

Last is the AR 10. Price is high, but man it would be awesome to have a semi auto .308. I feel like this would be the ultimate rifle, but parts and ammo are a lot more expensive and much harder to come by.

So I’m hoping some of you can shed some light and give your options on what you think is best. Maybe your rifle of choice isn’t on my list, so feel free to share.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

I prefer ak over ar due to it's less expensive price tag including parts as you mentioned. I don't feel bad if I get a scratch on it or have to hit the stock on a table to dislodge a shell.
I have a few kalashnikov (USA) semi-auto, fun as heck to shoot at the range and one setup for deer.

edit: some gun pron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4ZefdvGzY

I know guys who swear by AR over AK,. honestly It's preference and what you're looking to get out of it. There are a lot of over priced ARs in my opinion.
editedit: oh, and I buy locally through a guy. He can order me just about anything within state law. I own multiple because he gets some awesome deals.
Actually having a harder time lately finding affordable ammo. I have a terrible habbit of blowing through a few hundreds dollars at the range. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 09-21-2020 at 11:55 PM..
Old 09-21-2020, 11:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I prefer ak over ar due to it's less expensive price tag including parts as you mentioned. I don't feel bad if I get a scratch on it or have to hit the stock on a table to dislodge a shell.

I have a few kalashnikov semi-auto, fun as heck to shoot at the range and one setup for deer.

edit: some gun pron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4ZefdvGzY
Where is the best place to buy AKs and do people build them like they do ARs?
Old 09-22-2020, 12:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
do people build them like they do ARs?
The AK platform has been tightened up for the modern age. it's not the loose piece of shit people think it is from yee old days. As such the market has expanded to meet demand. Those AR guys can't get to have all the fun!

There are plenty of mods/kits/parts for AK now-a-days too.
In one of mine I put in a geissele AK trigger. It's half the pull,way smoother and was affordable.

hardcore AR guys probably hate me now lol
I'm also a glock guy.

You can find tons of videos on youtube for both AR builds and AK builds.
I've never built one myself for the record.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 09-22-2020 at 12:23 AM..
Old 09-22-2020, 12:43 AM
Planar Protector

For performance, reliability and general ass-kickery, accept no substitute.

Colt LE6920

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col...-4-pos-stk-blk

maybe a lil over your price range, but that is a time tested platform, with the 6920 being adjusted for some of the things M4 carbines originally lacked.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:18 AM
Fire Giant

China has bought the US Government, which is purposely sabotaging Americans' health and lives with kids back in school spreading massive Covid19 to adults. All planned. No one ever asks any questions or ever will. World War 3 is being won without a shot fired.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Banned

Yes so many dead kids omg. U fuckin retard stop masterbating and using drugs.

Armalite type. Ak is for fun only unless u hipfire like a desert type.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:17 AM
Sarnak

If you go with an AR, you can purchase a 7.62x39 upper to shoot 30cal rounds. The lower will still accommodate AK style 7.62 banana clips, so you won’t need any other modifications. If you later decide that you want to fire 5.56, you can swap out the 7.62 upper for a 5.56 upper. That is the beauty of the AR platform. Also, it is worth noting that the standard AR round is 5.56, which has a more powerful load than standard .223 ammo. You can still fire standard .223 ammo from an AR, but you should not fire 5.56 from a standard .223 firearm due to the higher pressures generated by the 5.56 rounds.

Alternatively, you can purchase a 300 blackout upper, which is a 30cal round in 5.56casing, meaning that you do not even need different mags. 300blackout rounds are a lot more expensive than standard 7.62 rounds though, because they are something of a specialty product designed for better performance out of suppressed SBRs or pistols. If you aren’t building an SBR or pistol, a 7.62 upper will be more economical.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:33 AM
Banned

Could also build 22 or 9mm ar for cheaper shooting
Old 09-22-2020, 07:39 PM
Banned

https://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=903677
Closed Thread