Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

Default Do you think the computer gaming industry?

Will ever start designing games and hardware with a 20 year minimum lifespan in mind?
Old 03-17-2021, 10:11 PM
Sarnak

Look up Moore's law as to why they could never do 20 years, its just not economically feasible. Although we may have just entered into realm of the physical theoretical limit for transistor's, so Moore's law no longer applies. When internet finally gets to solid Gigabit internet connections all over the world (starlink maybe?) everything will stream 100%, no need for hardware. That could still be decades away or it could be 5 years away, if the US would just get off their ass and build fiber optic wire everywhere.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look up Moore's law as to why they could never do 20 years, its just not economically feasible. Although we may have just entered into realm of the physical theoretical limit for transistor's, so Moore's law no longer applies. When internet finally gets to solid Gigabit internet connections all over the world (starlink maybe?) everything will stream 100%, no need for hardware. That could still be decades away or it could be 5 years away, if the US would just get off their ass and build fiber optic wire everywhere.
New stuff sucks. Have you seen mblakes cool computer? He's banned now so u probably won't see it ever. I get suckered into buying new shit too. Especially with consoles.

I feel like everything is planned obsolescence and just like.. holy crap games looked beautiful on older hardware but we went through like 5 major graphics subsystem overhauls. Like. Idk. Maybe I'm dumb. But newer games are just shiny and we forgot that games were supposed to be challenging and cool and skillful. Not just pretty interactive movies.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:58 PM
Sarnak

It will be interesting to see what the next consoles are like, graphics cant get too much better. They say the human eye can't even see 16k, so eventually there will be a point very soon that graphics cannot get any better. That is gonna be very weird when it happens. One way or another hardware will cease to be the end all, I wonder what these hardware companies are gonna do? The graphic card companies are already gearing up for 8K. I believe they are just now starting to experiment with 16k visuals, and I actually watched an 8K movie in a theater a couple years ago. Wow was that freaky, didn't know why the visual fidelity was so powerful.
Last edited by NPC; 03-17-2021 at 11:03 PM..
Old 03-17-2021, 11:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It will be interesting to see what the next consoles are like, graphics cant get too much better. They say the human eye can't even see 16k, so eventually there will be a point very soon that graphics cannot get any better. That is gonna be very weird when it happens. One way or another hardware will cease to be the end all, I wonder what these hardware companies are gonna do?
We've had big pushes for efficiency spurred by the mobile industry.

My cellphone is like, powerful. Like I can fold genes with it.

Maybe with more bits, we'll get bigger AI stuff, but we can already do impressively there it's just dumbed down so swarm behavior doesn't kill us and we can have more actors on the screen.

I wouldn't mind npcs designing their own art or having conversations with me with the sum of all our philosophic knowledge.

I reckon u could simulate this forum and I wouldn't be able to tell it isn't real.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

look, we live in a capitalist system and if you can make a buck on pollution, on killing, on piling trash in someone else's backyard and especially if you can make money off your children's asthma, then you will because you should OR, someone else will.

I mean it's cheaper for companies to keep dangerous machines and pay fines rather than buy safe machines that lower floor of plant go slower so why would any company think in terms of 20 years?
They will be bought before then and their assets, liquidated to turn a profit on the acquisition.

never going to happen under capitalism.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
look, we live in a capitalist system and if you can make a buck on pollution, on killing, on piling trash in someone else's backyard and especially if you can make money off your children's asthma, then you will because you should OR, someone else will.

I mean it's cheaper for companies to keep dangerous machines and pay fines rather than buy safe machines that lower floor of plant go slower so why would any company think in terms of 20 years?
They will be bought before then and their assets, liquidated to turn a profit on the acquisition.

never going to happen under capitalism.
Clean Air Act happened under capitalism, you polar boor.

Also OSHA.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:05 AM
Banned

Gangsta rap too
Old 03-18-2021, 01:23 AM
Planar Protector

Can use my row of xboxes to heat my room in winter with nuclear.

It's not ultra fem of me but I will paint them bright pinks and magentas. With purple led stripping and they'll compute crypto or run distributed compute nodes.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:37 AM
Sarnak

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semico...ce_fabrication

If you look to the right, Semiconductor device fabrication you can actually see the computer power advancement over the years. Looks like they are still shrinking it down somehow. The lower the number, the more powerful the computing power btw.
Nm = nanometers
2020 they hit 5nm.
Everytime the Semiconductor manufacturers move to a smaller silicon wafer they have to shut their plants down for like 3-4 months, spend billions of dollars to re-tool for smaller transistors. So they have to do it incrementally or they would lose money.
I'm sure they could immediately go smaller but they have to weigh the costs of doing so. Soon they will have to invent new computers when they hit the physical limit for traditional transistors in order to keep increasing computing power. Like quantum computers, or something along those lines.
Last edited by NPC; 03-20-2021 at 11:54 AM..
Closed Thread