Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: When was your first experience with Everquest?
Pre-Kunark (March 1999-April 2000) 4,623 51.27%
Kunark (April 2000-December 2000) 2,280 25.29%
Velious (December 2000-December 2001) 908 10.07%
Luclin or later (December 2001-Present) 683 7.57%
Never played Everquest on live. Project 1999 is your first experience. 523 5.80%
Voters: 9017. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Orc

I was a phase 2 beta tester. When I started, mages didn't have robes and could use rapiers and bucklers.

I was responsible for convincing a dev (Geoff?) to give shadowknights lifetap. I don't know if that was a worthwhile change or not.

My name back then was "Nox", and I got booted off of the secret beta boards for arguing with a dev. I think abashi ran that board, if I'm not mistaken and he later ran a public forum for eq before being hired by verant as a mouthpiece (that and to shut him up)

I sucked in beta, and for all the time I spent playing the game I was about the only one of all my friends who never managed to get anywhere. I spent so much time roleplaying, soloing and screwing around.

They tried - lord how they tried but I just never cooperatied.

My first 'serious' character that I actually levelled and raided with was an iks warrior, which I played from kunark beta to final and beyond.
Last edited by sgallaty; 10-18-2010 at 11:24 PM..
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Sarnak

Lol @ all the fake ass fools claiming they played since launch
Old 10-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Aviak

Beta tested the last beta. Lost the next 3 years of my life after that. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-26-2010, 02:03 AM
Orc

I beat SoL by a couple of months, as I recall. I had the game for longer, but my computer could only run the tutorial. I had to get a new computer before I could play.

Funny story: The tutorial would always crash after scribing a spell scroll, so when I made my first spell-casting character (Halfling Druid, cause that's what was suggested in the beginner's guide), I had no idea how to mem spells. I tried to open my spellbook in the middle of a fight.

Man, I miss the old tutorial.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Kobold

A friend at work had been going on and on for months about this great game he'd found, with objects like "Bongo's Stick of Poking" and "Eric's Beard of Invincibility". At the time we were hardcore Quake 2 LAN players, so the idea of a "Half Elf Paladin" with the ability to "Lay on Hands" sounded a tad gay, to say the least :-)

He installed the game on his office PC and took me on a tour of LoIO, smacked a few goblins and I was hooked. I went out the next day and bought two copies of the Kunark box set, and that evening me and the wife ventured out into Gfay for the first time, me a wood elf druid and her a high elf enchanter. Later on that year when Velious was launched we had to phone round trying to find somewhere that had it in stock.

The wife lost interest after Shadows of Luclin, so I boxed her account up to LDoN, when financial constraints meant having to quit the monthly subscriptions.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Aviak

Started playing on the Innoruuk server about a week after vanilla EQ went live. I was still in the Navy at the time and I saw this guy playing it in the barracks as I passed his room. A few questions later and I was at the store buying the game.

I played up until Luclin when I decided I'd rather use my Luclin CD as a coaster than play it anymore.

I love this server so far. It really has brought back some fond memories and provided me something fun to do in my free time.
Last edited by Madigan; 10-26-2010 at 08:06 AM..
Old 10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zithax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to hear from the people whose first time is P99, mainly:

How well do you enjoy the game?
What is your level/class/race/guild?
Are you casual or hardcore players?
What is your previous "MMO" experience?
Do you recognize what role skill plays in performing your class's proper duties in solo/group/raid situations?

I wanted to reply to Zithax, me being new to the game. I could say I'm new even though I played for about 2 weeks back in 2003, but really, what's 2 weeks? Not much in this game IMO. So here I go:

1. I enjoy the game quite a lot. It's a very difficult game, however I find a great sense of satisfaction, especially when I level up. I feel as if I'm really accomplishing something out of hard work and dedication. Also, I'm having quite a lot of fun exploring the various zones. Recently I went from Qeynos to Freeport at lvl 11. It has probably been the scariest moment (and the most fun) in the game thus far. Knowing that any single thing can kill you AND knowing that if you die you level down is not to be taken lightly.
2. ATM I'm a level 12 Barb Shaman named Aldarion, part of the Bregan D'Aerth guild. Look me up if you want to group
3. I still haven't decided if I'm a casual or hardcore. I definetely don't play 24/7 but I've been playing like 7-10 hours a day, sometimes 6-7 more hours than those 7-10 when I'm at work. Yes, I play at work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] My intention is to become a hardcore player as I continue to lvl up. Definetely interested in doing end-game raiding when I reach max level.
4. I play WoW along with EQ, but I play mostly because of my g/f. She's not really interested in EQ, so I reach a middle ground and play with her. Other experiences include EQII back in 2004 (stopped playing after the trial month, just hated it), and FFXI.
5. Now this is the most important question I want to address. At starter levels, knowing what role you play is difficult. When you begin you don't know where you are, you don't know what to do. Great thing is that there's a great community that helps you in every corner. People here seem to understand that you're a newb and lead you in the direction you're supposed to go. That's especially true for understanding my class a little better. If such a community wasn't in place, I still would be at a loss about what to do with my class. As I understand it right now, Shamans can solo, though not especially well; and are very necessary in a group. All I've been doing right now is casting SoW/Strength and healing when grouping, but I hope that improves as I continue to lvl and get better spells. As I know nothing of raiding, I don't know what my role would be apart from casting buffs.

Hope this answered some of your questions Zithax. Any insight/help/tips would be appreciated concerning understanding the shaman class better.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Large Rat

Kunark, on Innoruuk, highest level on /who all *lvl* was 54
Played a druid till 54(and never again)
65 Monk and 60 Necro were my mains
Didint play much post PoP, spent most of my time in the Baz
I remember zoning out of the baz with too much coin and traders satchels on me, fun stuff.

Found out about P1999 while reminiscing looking at youtube vids(thanks whoever! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Decaying Skeleton

got the game on release back in the days when Lguk was the shit
Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Sarnak

I started in 99 when I was in 8th grade. I had a classmate tell me how much fun EQ was. He told me of all the dangerous areas and content. It sounded to me at the time like Zelda with levels (very little hardcore rpg experience at the time). I actually imagined it like a SNES game with a huge world (like SNES Zelda style graphics and monsters). Ever since then I've dreamed of a game exactly like EQ with snes/sprite graphics.

Anyway I started with some human character in Freeport on christmas 1999. I ended up getting lost in East freeport where the tents and stuff are. It was raining or foggy or something so I couldnt see shit. A GM eventually summoned me out of EFP after I was petitioning about it.

I eventually finally hit level 60 on a monk right before SoL was released.
Closed Thread