Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its really not that hard...even if you don't have the computer know-how to write some basic code to do this without having to manually edit, it isn't that tough to manually cut and paste every once in a while if it is really that important to you.
You're right it's not that hard, but it could be time consuming depending on the number of toons, and if you're not careful you can accidentally delete some friends from one of several toon files. On the other hand pushing one button that updates everything seems easier and eliminates human error.

I take it you won't be a user of the tool, which is fine I don't expect everyone on the server to find it useful. For example people who rarely update their friends lists, they probably would see little value in it.

Others who are frequently adding someone's alt here and some other new player there, on different toons, they perhaps might find it useful.

EQFriends Consolidation Tool - consolidate all your friends
Auction/Logfile Notifier - logfile watcher with text/email notification
Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

Could put it in notepad when you add a friend. Can aslo tag why you added them in the first place. Nice for when you add a wizard or Druid porter for easy lookups.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 11-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could put it in notepad when you add a friend. Can aslo tag why you added them in the first place. Nice for when you add a wizard or Druid porter for easy lookups.
This.

I had a spreadsheet with bad ass sellers, porters and people who were bad at grouping so I could stay away from them lol, was just easier to keep notes, otherwise you find myself asking people on my friends list why you added them lol
Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimoneus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're right it's not that hard, but it could be time consuming depending on the number of toons, and if you're not careful you can accidentally delete some friends from one of several toon files. On the other hand pushing one button that updates everything seems easier and eliminates human error.

I take it you won't be a user of the tool, which is fine I don't expect everyone on the server to find it useful. For example people who rarely update their friends lists, they probably would see little value in it.

Others who are frequently adding someone's alt here and some other new player there, on different toons, they perhaps might find it useful.
If you care enough to want to keep your friends list the same then you will go through the time consuming process because there is no automatic way of doing it. But feel free to write a program to do it somehow. and i have 16ish toons that all have the same friends list so i know how long the process takes once every month or so. I mean honestly how many new people do you add to your friends lists in a given week?
Old 11-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you care enough to want to keep your friends list the same then you will go through the time consuming process because there is no automatic way of doing it. But feel free to write a program to do it somehow. and i have 16ish toons that all have the same friends list so i know how long the process takes once every month or so. I mean honestly how many new people do you add to your friends lists in a given week?
If you add someone's new alt to one of your toons, you wait a month to add that friend to all the other toons you play? That doesn't seem very practical or convenient.

I think I prefer clicking one button, over manually editing a dozen or more text files to copy and paste which ever ones need copying. And even then each file is in a different order so you can't just do a simple side by side compare.

I still think it would be useful to have an app that creates an all-inclusive unique list of the friends from all toons, and then re-writes the friends list for every toon.

But if you enjoy doing all that manual work which is prone to mistakes, have at it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 11-30-2014, 04:44 AM
Kobold

here ya go:
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=172964
Old 11-30-2014, 04:55 AM
Aviak

There's your answer! Funny it is currently the next thread
Old 11-30-2014, 06:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunababy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting. Does it have a UI of any kind? What was it coded in? Is it an open source project? How does it handle the case where there are more than 100 combined friends on all toons for any particular server?

Normally I hesitate to run foreign executables from someone who I am not familiar with, and this goes double for someone with such a short history on the forums. Not saying there are any issues with your utility, but providing the source code goes a long way to alleviate these types of concerns.

Thanks for the link, will give it a look.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimoneus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting. Does it have a UI of any kind? What was it coded in? Is it an open source project? How does it handle the case where there are more than 100 combined friends on all toons for any particular server?

Normally I hesitate to run foreign executables from someone who I am not familiar with, and this goes double for someone with such a short history on the forums. Not saying there are any issues with your utility, but providing the source code goes a long way to alleviate these types of concerns.

Thanks for the link, will give it a look.
It has no UI as I purposefully wanted it to be an automated, invisible feature. Though with ideas popping into my head at the time about future features I imagined at least an options UI (for things like toggling ignore compilation, etc).

It was coded in c++ and is not (currently) open source. With more than 100 friends it will truncate the remainder (based on character file name). This didn't explicitly require code, it just compiles the first 100 friends it finds.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunababy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It has no UI as I purposefully wanted it to be an automated, invisible feature. Though with ideas popping into my head at the time about future features I imagined at least an options UI (for things like toggling ignore compilation, etc).

It was coded in c++ and is not (currently) open source. With more than 100 friends it will truncate the remainder (based on character file name). This didn't explicitly require code, it just compiles the first 100 friends it finds.
I had considered just truncating more than 100, but that didn't seem like a very good solution. I may try working up something more UI based and see if it goes anywhere.

Again, I would strongly urge that the project be posted as open source so the code can be verified as safe.

Closed Thread