Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Default League Promotion System

Swung by the forums today and I noticed that people are starting to get tired of spending their entire lives crawling NTOV, so I thought I'd post this idea again. I continue to believe its the best way to balance classic, competition, and some fun.
  • Raid mobs are divided into tiers. For sake of argument, let's have Tier1: Loot Pinatas (Tunare, AOW, Dozekar), Tier2: NTOV (Eashen through Vulak), Tier3: Velious Dragons (Klandicar, Yelinak, LTK, etc), Tier 4, 5, etc down to Tier 27: Maestro of Rancor
  • 6 earthquakes per month. No normal spawns. Repops are announced in advance.
  • Each guild picks a start time and is scored based on their time to kill every target in their tier. If a guild is up for multiple tiers, they still only get one start time, so they are likely to have a bad score on one of them.
  • Each cycle lasts as many earthquakes as guilds signed up in the most crowded tier. Guilds are slotted in by their completion time.
  • At the end of every cycle, the fastest guild is promoted and the slowest guild is demoted from each tier, unless the slowest guild avoided demotion in a higher tier. Promotion overrides demotion.
  • If guilds fail to kill their targets within 24 hours, they are demoted from that tier and all higher tiers and cannot repromote for 1 penalty round.
  • All NPCs must be killed more or less on their spawn points, not the zone in.
  • Guilds can enter the system at some nonzero tier by killing Derakor the Vindicator rather than having to grind their way up through Kunark dragon tiers for months on end. So most of Kunark would be effectively rotated . . . if anyone cares.

I think this system has some interesting outcomes:
  • No free pixels. If Aftermath clears Plane of Growth faster than Awakened and demotes them to Tier 2, they can keep them (and everyone else) out of Tier 1 forever by clearing NTOV fastest. You can't promote just because you can clear the content.
  • At the same time slot stacking makes it difficult for guilds to completely monopolize content, e.g. if Tier3 is Aftermath/Awakened/CSG but Tier2 is Aftermath/Awakened/Aftermath, then both A/A will have to make tough choices on which tier to clear; if it takes them 3 hours to clear the Velious dragons and 5 more hours for NTOV, their official NTOV time will be 8 hours.
  • Tons of opportunities for strategy: how do you set up your groups and communication to clear most efficiently? Do you split your forces east and west in NTOV? Do you collude with other guilds to deny promotion chances when your rotation slots line up?
  • This means that players compete by actually playing EverQuest better and more efficiently rather than poopsocking harder and at more inconvenient times.
  • Tier sizes don't bloat because super small guilds will not be able to match the clear times of larger guilds, and thus won't ever promote.
  • No mechanics changes required. It's classic!

That being said, have you guys not noticed that this is a really exciting time to be, like, alive and outside?
Old 07-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Sarnak

Too complicated for summer. It is summer time. Too busy being outside to read. Summmmmmmmmmerrrrrrrrrrrr.
Also, rooted dragons. Such root. Sooooo much rooooooting.
Great time to be alive.
USWNT!
Old 07-02-2019, 05:38 PM
Banned

didnt read
Old 07-02-2019, 05:58 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9quaint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Too complicated for summer. It is summer time. Too busy being outside to read. Summmmmmmmmmerrrrrrrrrrrr.
Also, rooted dragons. Such root. Sooooo much rooooooting.
Great time to be alive.
USWNT!
I too am too busy to read. Next time we lose a mob I will post a #715amsteakphoto. Mine will be Calicrate Wagyu. You will all be impressed because its not like people eat steak all the time or anything.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That being said, have you guys not noticed that this is a really exciting time to be, like, alive and outside?
Gunning for an invite to <BBQ Crew> huh?
Old 07-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Kobold

Too long. Didn't read.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:38 PM
Planar Protector

Seems overly complicated. Instead just have 2-3 guilds compete per tier then rotate what tier they are on every week
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:21 AM
Sarnak

Make raids instances.

Nothing good comes from fighting over mobs. Guilds get banned, people rage, lots of people don't get a chance to see stuff.

Yea not classic, blabla. But just take a look at the TLPs (as much as you might hate them): They have instanced raids. Everyone gets to raid and see some stuff, even the most casual guilds. The hardcore raid guilds still get their chance for competition by fighting over open world zone raids.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 AM
Banned

Pass.

&

Quote:
Make raids instances.

Nothing good comes from fighting over mobs. Guilds get banned, people rage, lots of people don't get a chance to see stuff.

Yea not classic, blabla. But just take a look at the TLPs (as much as you might hate them): They have instanced raids. Everyone gets to raid and see some stuff, even the most casual guilds. The hardcore raid guilds still get their chance for competition by fighting over open world zone raids.
Shove a tampon in that bloody hole.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:42 AM
Planar Protector

The raid scene needs more rules.