Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal.flagg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Absolutely - people need to face the facts that it is NOT possible to recreate the classic experience perfectly. Even if they did get the loot percentages right it wouldn't be classic.
maybe then compensate... make them a little rarer for velious?

I'm just a newb, but I played during Kunarks heyday and some of the prices on stuff I've seen is ridiculous. I know it won't hold up, but i also figure it will drop even lower than it should just because some stuff is getting too common on a relatively smaller server.

Is it good or bad? I don't know. Does it make a difference? Not really unless your goal is to really be classic. Right now Kunark item numbers don't seem very classic. Of course, however, we've got to consider stuff is getting sold constantly because there just aren't as many active players. So could it be that stuff is just as common but there just aren't as many players to consume it?

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 04-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuklak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
maybe then compensate... make them a little rarer for velious?

I'm just a newb, but I played during Kunarks heyday and some of the prices on stuff I've seen is ridiculous. I know it won't hold up, but i also figure it will drop even lower than it should just because some stuff is getting too common on a relatively smaller server.

Is it good or bad? I don't know. Does it make a difference? Not really unless your goal is to really be classic. Right now Kunark item numbers don't seem very classic. Of course, however, we've got to consider stuff is getting sold constantly because there just aren't as many active players. So could it be that stuff is just as common but there just aren't as many players to consume it?
heres your answer;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's because of foresight. We all know what's going to be nerfed and become rare/valuable. People were discussing these things before Kunark went live even and making plans.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Sarnak

Remember though that it is possible for it to be both. The drop rates could be somewhat fubar'd (and hell, who really knows?) and the fact that we have foreknowledge is HUGE, like freaking enormous.

In the end though, who gives a shit. It's just pixels. Rahh rahh more mosscovered twigs etc etc.

Although even in that you should have moderation with your moderation. If item X is ridiculous then there might have been an amazing reason to kill it off so please slay said example objects off before they "Ruin" our immersion. ty
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigfreed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Remember though that it is possible for it to be both. The drop rates could be somewhat fubar'd (and hell, who really knows?) and the fact that we have foreknowledge is HUGE, like freaking enormous.

In the end though, who gives a shit. It's just pixels. Rahh rahh more mosscovered twigs etc etc.

Although even in that you should have moderation with your moderation. If item X is ridiculous then there might have been an amazing reason to kill it off so please slay said example objects off before they "Ruin" our immersion. ty
That's the biggest thing for me... EQ was immersive. You got into it and nobody can honestly deny there weren't times they felt really good about playing. I'd bet all of us extended our play time to finish up a corpse-run because we didn't wanna lose our pixels! Point being, if items become too commonplace it will not feel classic.

Some of this we cannot do anything about, unfortunately. Maybe the devs can think of something for Velious though.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Overall, Kunark dungeon loots are as rare if not rarer than they were on live.

What didn't happen on live in 2000 was filled-up dungeons and hundreds of keyed players within the first days of the expansion. Additionally, the first groups/guilds into these dungeons gave the loot to their members instead of auctioning it off :P

Well, that's not what's happening here.

These same things were said when prekunark launched in 2009 for us. OMG the loots are too common etc. Loots are fine; you guys just need to log off and let the npcs rest.
Go out and smell the roses. That'll bring loot levels down to "classic" levels.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Aviak

Red face

It's not up to the devs to create laws that governs how the players act in the world that >was< classic. Their goal was to recreate a classic world as accurate as they could and let the players roll in it however they wish.

The P1999 developers have done a very good job at recreating the WORLD of classic Everquest. We, as players, have not done a good job of recreating a classic community. Was that our goal? To some, maybe. I doubt most of us came here expecting to see things exactly as they were 12-13 years ago. So much has changed in that time and it isn't within the scope of responsibility of a P1999 dev to govern these behaviors.

In 1999/2000, I never saw stuff like:
  • 6 day, 24/7 camps on items that were prophesied to be nerfed...
  • 24/7 camp handoffs to 'friends' on xp-camps or 'phat lewt' spots, especially items that were going to be nerfed so get em quick!
  • every single quest in the game is completely solved and exploited with walkthroughs and maps and strategies on day one of the expansion, with 10 years of study guides and trial & error.
  • Price-gouging on items based on supposed future nerfs (who comes up with this calendar of when Nilbog and Uthgaard are nerfing items?). Buy now, this is the PRE-NERF Axe of PixelSlaying!!!
  • Guilds holding hands and cooperating so well... wtf, where's the drama?
  • Loads more...

Don't complain about the SERVER not being classic when it's completely the players' fault. If anything, the only fault you can find in the Devs for the server not being classic enough is in its stability. I remember Kunark crashing a lot more often, mobs warping much more frequently and GMs being much bigger assholes. So... yeah, I guess there is some blame to throw around.
The Bane of Bixies©
Huge halfling balls.

Closed Thread