Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 05-25-2022, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

Ye ppl suck
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-25-2022, 04:08 PM
Banned

Some states within the us with strict gun laws have higher rates of gun violence than those without

Why?

Because there are too many guns in circulation to control effectively at this point. And sending cops door to door to gather up everyone’s guns will never work. Buyback programs will get them from honest citizens and cost a shit ton in taxes to create enough financial incentive to make it worthwhile

It’s fine to say “FUUUUUCK GUNS!” after every school shooting to feel virtuous but it might help to propose legislation that might actually do something. The assault rifle ban didn’t accomplish much which is why it was revoked

What could help possibly DELAY a school shooting could be:

- making the age to purchase a gun 21. Like I said before most 18 year olds don’t have the money anyway, they are usually getting their gun from a family member so this wouldn’t stop most

- making a mandatory waiting period to buy a gun. School shootings are usually heavily planned and not crimes of passion so this might not prevent a single one. But I don’t mind inconveniencing everyone else to feel virtuous personally (being serious here, minus the virtuous feeling)

- Taking away someone’s right to buy a gun if they were ever involuntarily committed to a psych hospital. This would be ripe for abuse since anyone can force someone into a psych hospital by lying about them, and can only be prosecuted for it if they are stupid enough to admit to a court they lied to commit their family member out of malice. So I am not a fan of this option, it would be abused left and right

Any other ideas?
Old 05-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Planar Protector

If the grandma comes to and says that he was abusive and crazy, does that mean she will be liable for the crimes?
Banned

Yeah the claim of objectivity by snopes is pretty funny.

It's also a total red herring; let's say I'm totally MEGAWRONG about the stats (I'm not, and you guys are still not being specific about what constitutes a "mass shooting" and what doesn't, or how that might relate to private citizens owning guns for self defense which is the entire issue at hand). Let's say that's all true: what is your actual proposal here, policy wise?

Dem buzzwords like "common sense gun reform" aren't exactly helpful. AR-15s aren't magically any more dangerous than any other gun. They aren't "assault weapons" which means nothing, they're just a rifle. They aren't full-auto machineguns, those are already illegal for the vast majority of normal civilians to ever buy.

Given that there is NO way to eliminate guns from society without also just concentrating the pool of guns more and more into the hands of criminals who don't care about gun laws or mandatory buy-backs, how do restrictions help?

You guys have to stop pretending the only reason people want guns is because they are some kind of gun fetishist who likes to play rambo. The argument from the right is over *legitimate self defense* and the equalization of force to protect the vulnerable from the strong. Hence why the dude who stopped the shooter by using a gun, could have stopped him much sooner if he had just already been there. Is there any argument you can muster against that other than "Well it would be expensive"??
Old 05-25-2022, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Fox News guest says "tripwires" and "man traps" are the solution to mass shootings at schools.
walking to class like

Old 05-25-2022, 04:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Protecting our elementary schools with armed guards" is a totally fucked up thing to say. What kind of third world shithole needs armed guards at elementary schools?

Right?

This fucking country is on it's way out. The Golden Age is over and it's time for the Great Decline.
There were armed cops at the school but they ran away
Old 05-25-2022, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah the claim of objectivity by snopes is pretty funny.

It's also a total red herring; let's say I'm totally MEGAWRONG about the stats (I'm not, and you guys are still not being specific about what constitutes a "mass shooting" and what doesn't, or how that might relate to private citizens owning guns for self defense which is the entire issue at hand). Let's say that's all true: what is your actual proposal here, policy wise?
Conservatives will never admit they were wrong about anything, Jib just said Democrats started the Afghan War rather than accept GWB was a lying dumbass like every Republican president for the last few decades.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
. The argument from the right is over *legitimate self defense* and the equalization of force to protect the vulnerable from the strong
Yeah, good luck convincing a young black man living alone in the ghetto to give up his gun because some 18yr old loser went ape shit on a school after his parent wouldn’t let him play Fortnite

I don’t even blame the responsible citizens in low income areas for wanting and having guns
Old 05-25-2022, 04:22 PM
Banned

I have guns

I'm on the left

The problem is much bigger than guns and we all know it. America is a deeply insane country. Neither of the two conservative ruling parties actually want to solve this problem, even if individuals care, the parties certainly don't. Because solving the problem would involve structural change, and that would mean upsetting the balance of power.

So, in essence, the beatings will continue until morale improves