Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 06:52 PM
Kobold

The Disney movies are so bad I'm actually fascinated by how a beloved franchise can be so systematically eviscerated by corporate greed and incompetence. JJ succeeded in one-upping himself on his ruining of Star Trek. It amazes me how he gets any work at all. In America you fail upwards. It's almost as if they went out of their way to trash the original trilogy characters because that's what they did.

The only response to this terrible behavior is to boycott Disney. If you want to watch it to see how bad it really is, pirate it. Do not give them money. I was never a huge Star Wars fan (although I did like it) but the way Disney treated the fans is offensive to me as a nerd. My condolences.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Banned

Had to stop one of the newer starwars movies, forgot which one, because it was unbearably cheesy like something you'd see in an SNL skit. Literally couldn't keep watching. Never saw another one after that. The older movies were so gritty and epic.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:14 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Disney movies are so bad I'm actually fascinated by how a beloved franchise can be so systematically eviscerated by corporate greed and incompetence.
The current state of the Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, Alien, and Predator franchises completely blows my mind. Just the timing of it is unreal.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:58 AM
Planar Protector

It was pretty 'meh'. The galaxy had no sense of scale. Everyone just instantly at the next plot point somewhere else in the galaxy. Pace was too fast like they were cramming 2 movies worth of content into one.

Scale of space battles were huge, but still managed to somehow be unimpressive. It was too convienient that shooting the start destroyers in their BBC's just made them immediately explode. What kind of design is that?!

Rei didn't submit the proper paperwork to change her family name.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:37 AM
Sarnak

If you are an extremely casual fan of Star Wars, and a huge fan of JJ Abrams, you'll thoroughly enjoy this film. On the other hand, if you are even a moderate fan of Star Wars and care about either the lore of that universe, or just a narrative making sense in-general, you will watch this movie and hate everything about it.

It's literally a master-class on lazy writing. Everything that happens is extremely coincidental, and the only rationale is "but plot". Did we really need to add silly shit like 'force teleportation' so that Rey could give Kylo a lightsaber? Is it really necessary to establish that one lightsaber will block force lightning, but two will be that secret sauce that reflects it back and destroy the original source? Why has Lando been hanging out on that planet for 30 years after he and Luke gave up hunting for that Sith dagger?

You could ask why literally anything in this movie happens and then find yourself irritated at the explanation.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:09 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The current state of the Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, Alien, and Predator franchises completely blows my mind. Just the timing of it is unreal.
No kidding. I liked all of those IPs until they ruined 'em. Movies nowadays are garbage. I'd rather watch some old movie I know I like instead of something new that is likely shit. If I had paid actual money to see Disney Star Wars I'd have been really mad.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around James Cameron blessing that Terminator flick with Daenerys Conner and his involvement in the new one. T2 and Aliens are such masterpieces. What happened to that guy?! I feel betrayed.

The thing is now that video games have become such a massive entertainment medium that we DO NOT NEED movies or television anymore. (I guess there was always books...) "They have nothing else to watch so they'll watch" doesn't work anymore. I stopped watching TV and movies, essentially. I don't get bored.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:17 AM
Planar Protector

I dunno dudes. I just got out of it. The first third of the movie was very much like Ray's first movie. The middle had a few predictable parts. By the end I was happy the movie was made and was entertaining(not edge your seat, mind you).

I am not sure i bought the love story between Kylo and Ray, but I think they did a good job on the end scene regardless. As with Galach I was a little taken aback when he ghosted. I am a little bit raising an eye brow about bringing people back from the dead, even with the trade of a life. Not natural. Not Jedi.

I enjoyed the younger version CSI's of Luke and Leai. Way better than when they did it with that Empire general. That tech has come a long way and I'm excited to see where Disney can take it in the future. Hopefully no more Leai.

I am not sure about the yellow(gold?) light saber at the end with Ray. What does that color signify? Super Sayan Jedi?

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 12-24-2019, 03:52 AM
Planar Protector

I thought it was a good movie and as fitting an end as possible given the odd story arc of the new films. Best of the last 3 by far, no regerts seeing it opening night.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 12-26-2019, 08:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dunno dudes. I just got out of it. The first third of the movie was very much like Ray's first movie. The middle had a few predictable parts. By the end I was happy the movie was made and was entertaining(not edge your seat, mind you).

I am not sure i bought the love story between Kylo and Ray, but I think they did a good job on the end scene regardless. As with Galach I was a little taken aback when he ghosted. I am a little bit raising an eye brow about bringing people back from the dead, even with the trade of a life. Not natural. Not Jedi.

I enjoyed the younger version CSI's of Luke and Leai. Way better than when they did it with that Empire general. That tech has come a long way and I'm excited to see where Disney can take it in the future. Hopefully no more Leai.

I am not sure about the yellow(gold?) light saber at the end with Ray. What does that color signify? Super Sayan Jedi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought it was a good movie and as fitting an end as possible given the odd story arc of the new films. Best of the last 3 by far, no regerts seeing it opening night.
Palpatine wins. He kills or is involved in killing off the entire Skywalker line along with anybody who opposed him. Replacing the family lineage with his own.

Anybody who said shit similar to these two fucking mouth breathers above is so fucking dumb I feel like a new level of stupid has been discovered
Old 12-26-2019, 08:19 PM
Banned

These movies show how to not tell a decent story.

The older movies were based off ancient mythology(myth of Osiris and the djed in ancient Egypt) and have a really strong foundation there. These last 3 just seem like a collection of random mumbo jumbo. Put a bunch of 2019 social themes and surround them with lightsabers and Wookiee instead of constructing it story wise and thematically first. They definitely made this story up as they went along.

These movies make the prequels look well put together imo.
Last edited by Teppler; 12-26-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Closed Thread