Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-11-2023, 03:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, my point is that a Ranger on P99 isn't a Ranger.

Just like if a Rogue didn't have BS he wouldn't be a Rogue.
Good point. Why focus on facts when you can rely on lore and "your gut".

I'm really thinking you shouldnt play a ranger. It's an uphill battle to convince you they can be good and frankly we have enough bad ones as-is.

PS: Done with arrows...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-11-2023 at 03:35 PM..
Old 01-11-2023, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

I wanna see a ranger plucking Vyemm from up top with the wizard army.

Go gettum, Legolas.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
What's the point of playing Ranger?
It appeals to players who want to play a fighter and want access to nature-themed spells. You should try it, its fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Isn't a Ranger just a Druid with much weaker spells, no ports, no charm and no quad kiting?
Congrats, you figured out Verant didn't know what to do with hybrids.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

I'd prefer people think rangers are awful so it's easier to get gear. Took me like 8 months to get my SEoC because, I assume, I'm so inspiring that new rangers kept showing up. My Tolan's BP was super, super expensive. Imagine not getting your sky cloak on your first sky raid. It's horrifying to think about. I missed a wave of like 5 new rangers.

Fungi, Epics, Sky Cloak. Get those 3 and class is pretty good. Sucks till then. I'd also suggest Sword of Rile.
Last edited by Cecily; 01-11-2023 at 03:50 PM..
Old 01-11-2023, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd prefer people think rangers are awful so it's easier to get gear. Took me like 8 months to get my SEoC because, I assume, I'm so inspiring that new rangers kept showing up. My Tolan's BP was super, super expensive. Imagine not getting your sky cloak on your first sky raid. It's horrifying to think about. I missed a wave of like 5 new rangers.

Fungi, Epics, Sky Cloak. Get those 3 and class is pretty good. Sucks till then. I'd also suggest Sword of Rile.
100%. I've always been a "chip on the shoulder" gamer. If everyone decided it was the class to play I'd probably try to find a less popular one to spend time with, lol.

I actually have only done like 3 sky raids since our raid day doesnt align with my game schedule. Double loot drop got me it finally. It's fun being a weird squishy monk!
Old 01-11-2023, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
No, my point is that a Ranger on P99 isn't a Ranger.

Just like if a Rogue didn't have BS he wouldn't be a Rogue.
Is this the bullshit ‘rangers are rangers, why aren’t they good at range’?

The ‘range’ in ranger refers to them journeying far and wide, not them shooting bows.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-11-2023, 04:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good point. Why focus on facts when you can rely on lore and "your gut".

I'm really thinking you shouldnt play a ranger. It's an uphill battle to convince you they can be good and frankly we have enough bad ones as-is.

PS: Done with arrows...

You're suffering from best-case-scenario-itis. It seems there's a pandemic on P99 of this disease. The infected have a tendency to eliminate L1-L59 from the equation aswell as group orientated players.

The bow and quiver graphic on the Ranger inventory screen is there from level 1 though. It doesn't just suddenly appear when you ding 60 and join a raiding guild. It's there from day one, the bow being an integral part of the class....except on P99 it's not.

Rangers should be better than all classes at bows from a very young age and they should get stronger as they level up, just like Rogues with piercing weapons.

I'm thinking from a games design perspective, you're thinking more from a petty personal bias.

Also, Lore is vital...Lore is where all the classes come from in the first place einstein. Without Lore you wouldn't have Rangers.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Rangers have double damage on non-rooted targets, bow crits, a bow disc, some powerful ranger-only bows, a high bow skill cap, and the ability to make very nice arrows via fletching. There are even a bunch of bow quests for rangers.

Sorry you are fixating on a quiver icon instead of actually playing a game for fun. Consider rerolling an ogre warrior.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Congrats on your cloak! That's a game changer. Glad you got lucky on 2x. I'd suggest not engaging with the obvious troll unless it amuses you.
Last edited by Cecily; 01-11-2023 at 04:22 PM..
Old 01-11-2023, 04:16 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this the bullshit ‘rangers are rangers, why aren’t they good at range’?

The ‘range’ in ranger refers to them journeying far and wide, not them shooting bows.
No, it's "why does my Ranger have a bow and arrow graphic on his inventory screen when I can't hit shit with a bow and why are there so few bows to choose from and why is that Rogue and Warrior and SK just as good at me with a bow?"

...and there's also "why is every other Ranger I've seen (whether it's in a movie, book or another game) an expert with bows and this one isn't?"

Then there's the fact that 'traveling far' is what an arrow does so range is relevant to bows.