Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paging Haynar
Ok off topic .. but that gif is hilarious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-18-2017, 02:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never said GINA makes people good or bad players, if that's how it sounded I didn't mean it that way. I honestly feel like we are overstimulated now with technology. If our eyes aren't seeing blips and shinies everywhere, we are bored.

I think many use apps for games to improve their gameplay, but I also think there is a subconscious facet to the draw of adding as many external sources to our games, that being the addition of more stimulation.

I agree with GINA not making you a good player and vice versa too, good players are good due to practice and ability to learn a game, not because they add some app to the game. I seen many awful PVPers who used voice on other games thinking that it would make them unstoppable, while I was in PVP groups not using voice and we did great because we all played our classes well and knew the game well. Voice would have made some things easier, but it was not needed for us to be successful.
Fair enough. Your post was taken in context with everyone else in the thread, so from my point of view it was just another post on the GINA-hating dogpile. At least your argument is based on a reasoned conjecture and not just emotional appeals and vague anecdotes. None of that "I knew a guy that sucked and he used GINA, ergo GINA users all suck" which provides no specifics, and fails to realize that you have probably played with countless quality players that you never knew were using GINA, because it isn't something people bandy about as a topic of random conversation. It also screams of confirmation bias, because we tend to notice the hits and not the misses. Even if a person were aware of another that is using GINA and that person performed their role to perfection, it would not register nearly the kind of lasting memory that a scrub who wiped your group would leave when they complain how their GINA timers were askew. This is what Sirken sounds like when he cries how he de-guilded a guy because he blamed GINA for a mistake. Sirken clearly has an existing bias towards anything "unpure" in EQ *cough*FTE Messages & GM Enforced Timeouts*cough*, and the second he knew this heretic was using something "unclean"... well he knew all he needed to know to warrant the gathering of sticks. Burn that witch! And burn him good!

As to your actual argument itself, I feel like we are just becoming the old folks because we assume that our gravitation towards a hyper-stimulated mind is inherently a bad thing. The truth is, we don't know what the end result will be. We just know it isn't what we are and it is something we cannot become. It could very well be the first steps towards a humanity that is vastly more capable of multi-tiered thinking that are able to handle simultaneous streams of complex information by intuition. We might just be the relics of a bygone era that cannot cope with the torrent of information. The neanderthals that decry the sapiens use of bone and rock, when hands have always been good enough for Zog! I know, I watch some people play modern day WOW and I cannot even begin to digest everything that is happening on screen. However, GINA is hardly to this level of sensory overload unless you spend a ton of time manually crafting exquisite timers, in which case you will know what everything is because you specifically put it there to perform a very specific function you felt the game was lacking.

In summary, we have entered the Information Age, and a persons inability or unwillingness to adapt will result in their inevitable extinction. In this context, it means being exiled to a game that is so stripped of stimulation because playing a modern day MMO is too complex for our neanderthal brains to cope with. I see that clearly by a lot of the posts in this thread. Can't handle a complex DPS rotation and a million timers blinking and blaring at you all at once? Well we have the perfect game for you! If you deign to sully this experience with even the slightest bit of additional stimuli, we will burn you at the stake as a heretic!

Welcome to P99...

TL;DR - If three paragraphs is too much to read, then I pronounce thee Zog.
Last edited by XeroKill; 11-18-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Closed Thread