Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Fire Giant

Default P99 Add-Ons

Good morning!

Preface: I use "add-ons" for lack of a better term. Also, apologies if this isn't in the right section. I'm a forum noob.

Just joined P99 and I'm planning on starting a character tomorrow and binging hard this weekend. I just discovered the existence of this server a few weeks ago after stumbling upon Kraddoc's absolutely hilarious videos. Played from 99-02ish and REALLY looking forward to joining this community I've been watching some YouTube content and notice that some people are using different add-ons.

I know anything that interacts with the client is strictly prohibited. I'm not asking for anything of that nature. What are some P99 LEGAL add-ons that I should look into after starting this weekend? I've heard of GINA. What about texture packs? Is that a thing? Some YouTube vids seem to have higher texture quality. What about UI mods? I've googled a few of these but without much knowledge about P99 in general I figured I'd reach out here to some people with more experience. What are the pros using for raids? I know this is a long ways out for me, but I'd still like to compile everything while I'm new and get used to one thing rather than changing it halfway through.

Thanks for any feedback regarding this! Again, looking forward to playing with you guys this weekend and onward.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Skeleton

GINA only reads the log file and is incredibly helpful. Helps with setting spawn timers, notifying you when your spells/debuffs wear off mobs, when buffs wear off or are dispelled, etc. Also helpful for some raid encounters.

GamParse parses the log files and attempts to show DPS live (and/or for historic fights) and breaks up your log file in a more easily readable fashion as it separates out fights, tells, auction, etc, in specific sections/tabs in the application. There are other parsers (Yaulp comes to mind?) that you can find if you're resourceful, but GamParse is the most commonly used, I think.

There are also map applications which only read the log file (p99 compliant) and plot a point on an map image when you /loc in game, example here: http://mappa.000webhostapp.com These apps are good for people who are directionally challenged (/raises hand)

I never got much into the textures and similar but there are also custom UIs that you can check out (I prefer the stock UI, personally).
Old 11-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

EQClassicHD - some of us nerds decided to upscale and touch up character textures! We've also got transparency fixes, epic weapon particle fixes, and animation fixes.

Zaela's iksar animation fix

Zaela's wolf form run speed animation fix

+ custom UIs!

qqui, Cucumbers' Velious era p99 UI
DizUI, modded DuxaUI
This old optimized p99 UI

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 11-11-2017, 02:52 PM
VIP / Contributor

Gina is for bad and/or lazy players that want to forever remain bad and/or lazy. Good players don't use it, nor do they need it. First time I heard a guildie blame their fuck up on Gina, I'd guild remove them for being bad.

That said, different UIs are available, as are texture upgrade packs, here on this forum. And anything that only reads the log file should be ok. <3

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 11-11-2017, 05:02 PM
Kobold

GINA is also bomb for people who can only play intermittently due to work or other responsibilities.You can alert you if someone talks to you, if you are attacked, when the mob pops, timers on your buffs/abilities, timers on your dots/debuffs. My GINA is so developed I could probably play p99 if I went blind.

I don't play at work (I work in construction) but I do play while reading and writing papers for online classes I am taking in my off hours. Kill a static mob every 10 mins, gives you a mini break.

Play your way, have fun.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Fire Giant

These are some great answers. Thank you all. Installing Titanium now. Hopefully I don't have any issues with setup but if all goes well I should be chumming up with all you lot here in a couple hours.

I'll check out some of the suggestions in the meantime. Thanks again!
Old 11-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Aviak

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gina is for bad and/or lazy players that want to forever remain bad and/or lazy. Good players don't use it, nor do they need it. First time I heard a guildie blame their fuck up on Gina, I'd guild remove them for being bad.
GINA is for players that demand precision and use every tool at their disposal to up their game. Sounds like some one needs to git gud. Anyone that blames GINA for a failure is definitely a scrub because GINA can only do what the user programs it to do, and thus it failing to do X,Y or Z is still their fault. Good players don't blame GINA because good players know how to use it to augment their gameplay, not use it as a crutch, and when it fails them, they know it was their mistake and work to correct the issue or deal with the limitations.

Nice broad brush though... "A+", as you like to say. Certainly what one would expect from a GM.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroKill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
GINA is for players that demand precision and use every tool at their disposal to up their game. Sounds like some one needs to git gud. Anyone that blames GINA for a failure is definitely a scrub because GINA can only do what the user programs it to do, and thus it failing to do X,Y or Z is still their fault. Good players don't blame GINA because good players know how to use it to augment their gameplay, not use it as a crutch, and when it fails them, they know it was their mistake and work to correct the issue or deal with the limitations.

Nice broad brush though... "A+", as you like to say. Certainly what one would expect from a GM.
Nope. Sirken is right, it's for lazy gaming. The only thing GINA does is keep track of information the game has already provided you, how can anyone argue that's not being lazy?

Personally, I'll keep using GINA but I wont kid myself that the only reason I use it is because it allows me to be less attentive playing EQ a.k.a. lazy. I've never heard anyone blame their shitty game play on GINA but until now I also never heard anyone say they use it to "up their game".
Old 11-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

naw, GINA lets you do some pretty dope shit

fav use case was monitoring incoming complete heals - I had an 'oh fuck' button that would target self and use the inventory slot holding my reaper. Saved my ass plenty of times when the next CH was a second or two off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hc2...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That said, different UIs are available, as are texture upgrade packs, here on this forum. And anything that only reads the log file should be ok. <3
I despise addons, and that's one thing I like about p99, which is the lack of addons needed to play it well. With WOW, It came down to who had the best addons, not who had the best timing or skill. I find addons to be clutter on my UI. I like the least amount of immersion breaking crap on my games as possible. Dings, bells, alerts etc., it's just distractions from the game, in my mind anyway.
Closed Thread